[TR] Index Chimney Spectacular - Index Chimneys 10/18/2010

summitchaserCJB

Trip: Index Chimney Spectacular - Index Chimneys

Date: 10/18/2010

Trip Report:

So Mark and I did a number of routes at Index, and I was thinking today that 4 out of the 6 had some sort of chimney or off-width which is weird for Index and was a complete coincidence except for the fact that I like them.

So we warmed up in low 40 degree temps on Sagittarius. Nice little warm up. Mark wasn't feeling it so I cleaned on rap. Then we went searching for Private Idaho. I had been there before but we ended up at the top of Lookout Point, which was interesting in and of itself. We descended and found Hag Crag by accident. We could see Private Idaho but were lured into Hag Crag Crack a dirty 5.7 with a cool chimney feature. Mark tried but ran out of the right size of gear so I fired her off. Definitely dirty and only recommended for the adventurous. On rappel we noticed a sport line that looked pretty clean. Mark fired it off on top rope. I wanted to lead it, but the line is really weird. It basically shares a bolt with a 5.11d instead of following the obvious line. I wasn't feeling it so we moved on.

We were going to go straight to Magic Fern but saw Battered Sandwich, a sweet off-width to chimney and had to send it. It was sweet and I will go back and do it again. Then it was time for Magic Fern, which went great. Then back to Senior Citizens in Space.

Incredible climbing and weather. But dang I'm sore today.

Sorry no pics.

Here's an old one.

IMG_4226_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2215_edited-1.jpg

[img:left]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_67D5eDoFD0U/S_tcghIZD3I/AAAAAAAAAEE/JKIFbAahZvw/s1600/IMG_4230_edited-1.jpg[/img]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is that giant black chimney behind the great northern slab and defoliator (above and to the right of the GNS above breakfast of champions) has some chimneying particularly if you continue up to the top of the wall.

I seem to remember some intriguing looking chimney called the flu on the mid wall but we never did it.

If we include grovely flares then we get to add a number of other lower wall classics, dr sniff, p3 japanese gardens, tatoosh.

There are also a number of dirty chimneys on the upper wall.

• 2 weeks later...