Hiker killed by mountain goat in ONP

banos

http://www.examiner.com/rving-in-national/hiker-killed-by-mountain-goat-olympic-national-park

NPS officials say that a hiker died Saturday after reportedly being fatally attacked by a mountain goat (Oreamnos americanus) at Olympic National Park in Washington State. Barb Maynes, spokeswoman for Olympic National Park, told the AFP Sunday that the victim Robert Boardman, 63, was hiking with his wife and a friend when he "apparently sustained fatal injuries after the encounter" with the ram. Mountain goats usually weigh between 100–300 lbs and ironically it is the nanny goat that tends to be more aggressive than its male counterpart.

Maynes said details of the incident remain sketchy and that an investigation is currently underway - the goat was fatally shot by park rangers subsequent to the incident. Maynes stressed that such an attack "is highly, highly unusual…we are not aware of anything like this ever happening" at the park before.

----------------

P8230353.JPG

Edited by banos

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with somone today at Swedish hospital who knew the victim in his capacity as a diabetes educator out at Neah Bay. She told me that his classes about living with cronic illness really helped her and her family. Nothing but nice things to say about the man, sounds like he made an impact out there and will be missed...

300 lbs would be a pretty damned big goat. Even so, one half that size could easily get the best of you, especially if you weren't expecting it.

We've got Cashmere goats & a Churro (sheep) ram, and I handle them by the horns. They clock in between 100 and 140 lbs (they're about the size of the ones I've seen in ONP), and it can be work if they're not feeling cooperative. Bear in mind these are domestic critters, and they know me; an aggressive wild goat would much harder to control.. They also know exactly where the ends of their horns are, and are very adept whether its a matter of scratching just the right spot or butting someone out of the way. Reports said that he was gored in the leg, I could easily imagining that happening before you were even aware of the intent. We had a somewhat larger and more aggressive Churro ram awhile back, and no one else would go in the field with him. You'd have to be very aware and vigilant, and have some sort of tool to deflect a charge. When he stood still your could grab his horns and control him, but if he was in motion you just had to stay out of the way.

We had a somewhat larger and more aggressive Churro ram awhile back, and no one else would go in the field with him. You'd have to be very aware and vigilant, and have some sort of tool to deflect a charge. When he stood still your could grab his horns and control him, but if he was in motion you just had to stay out of the way.
Y'all should heed the wisdom of Off "Pamplona" White here... :)

OW-

No exhibition of your capriciousness is being solicited here, neither explicitly nor implicitly. ;)