We're So Sorry!

Dwayner

Iambone....you're really starting to wear on me. This started out as fun, animated banter but now I see some genuine hostility emerging which you seem to thrive on. Either you don't get the point, or you get it and want to perpetuate the debate. You make some awfully strong assumptions about who we really are. First, you drop the word "hate" quite a bit. Speaking for myself (and I'm sure it's likewise the case for many others), I "hate" few people in this world and the category of "sport-climber" just doesn't rate that kind of attention. And being nice to people? If you met me, and probably many of the yucksters on this board, you would probably find us to be some of the most fun and generous people you have EVER met. Old? At 23, 29 is probably old to you. Guess what! Some of us are in our late 30's, mid-40's, have climbed our butts off most of our lives, and we were even stupider than you at your age. And we're youngsters in comparison to those who came before, whom we often admire, and from whom we sometimes seek advice. If you think we're old, than you are truly a moron and there is little anyone can teach you. (Go to your pal Hornbein and tell him he's old. Same to Fred Beckey, Big Lou and numerous others. Add Dee Molenaar and some of the 80 year olds to your list. And some of them probably share our opinion too, but fortunately don't waste their time on this list like some of us do, or are too polite to be vocal about it.)

Bouldering? I don't have a right to think that's lame? As I've said before, I'm not preventing anyone from doing it. My reasons for thinking that bouldering is lame has nothing to do with environmental concerns. In fact, it is relatively gear free which I admire although those crash pads (quite useful no doubt) look stinkin' ridiculous. I get a chuckle out of bouldering because to me it seems to be one of the ultimate worthless pursuits within one of the ultimate worthless pursuits (mountaineering in general). I love mountaineering but I also realize that it's kind of lame though it's a kind of lameness I really enjoy! Given that, it's all a matter of personal scale. I think climbing Everest is a stupid waste of time too, and on the other size of the scale, spending days working out a handful of boulder sequences doesn't appeal to me either. I've done a bit and find it boring. Hey, Iambone, this is more or less a free society and people can boulder if they want and I can decide for myself whether I think it's lame or not. But I can see a whole industry emerging: lycra bouldering tights, designer crash pads, Pebble and Boulder magazine, etc. I also used to climb frozen waterfalls...don't care for that but I have more respect for it because it takes some personal fortitude.

Basically, Mr. Iambone, you were once amusing, but now you have become a ranting, unclever bore. Thank you for your opinions. No one here hates you and no one is going to prevent you from bouldering, sport climbing or most of whatever. You'll just have to learn to live in a world where some people are going to think that some of things you do are lame. Some of these people will be older than you and you can choose to imagine them as "hateful" or "not nice" as you wish.

Bye, bye, Iambone. Perhaps we'll converse sometime on another topic.

Shalom, Dwayner

P.S. Don't forget to reply by calling us a bunch of wankers, oldsters, etc. You wouldn't want to break your pattern. Don't count on me replying, though. If having the final word means you won, you won buddy, if that's what it takes to build your miserable self-esteem.

Also, Pope, and you other guys....let's not waste our time responding to this fellow, he's getting rather unruly.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bone up the Butt,

I bet you've done lots of brown point ascents, so many your nose has a permanent stain.

Tell us more about your heros from Montana I bet you use lots of verbs like stamina and nouns like sheep.

PS I like sport climbing. Now all the trad climbs have a lot less traffic.

[This message has been edited by AlpineK (edited 05-31-2001).]

Hey Lamebone or whatever your name is--I've seen Glacier NP in Montana and the Tetons in Wyoming, haven't been to the Winds yet, been around Beartooth Pass, all cool stuff. But if you really think Washington can't compare you apparently haven't really seen much of it. Get out a little more and you'll see Washington doesn't have to take a back seat to any state for mountain splendour.

Hey "wankers",

It's been fun, thanks for the insight. Believe it or not I really do have alot of respect for all you old schoolers who pioneered the climbing around here. Thanks for the hard work, I enjoy climbing on your classics.

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes too much. I am ussualy quite a passive sit on the fence post type. Sometimes when I get ranting about something I tend to trip over my words. Still it was all in good fun and debate.

You guys stick with your beliefs and values, and I'll keep participating in all forms of climbing, and we'll all keep having fun.

You can knock other climbers down as much as you want, my goal was to inspire you to think twice before you do. Make sure the climber you knock really deserves it first.

I am going to start an all arounders climbing gang. Well have secret handshakes and all that soon enough, but I know that we will never be able to compete with the old school Trad Kings. Peace, Jah Love, it's all good!!!!!!!!!!!! -matt

Originally posted by lambone:

Hey, all you so called environmentalist Trad climbers. Just in case you didn't notice...

"There are much bigger issues to bitch about than little bolts on a rock face that nobody (except climbers)give a shit about. Bolts harm nothing but the value that humans place upon the aestheics of nature. "

"Personaly, when I go up to Index I am so struck by the huge quarry scar that I hardly notice the bolts. When the train roles by I can hardly hear the crowds below."

"If you think sport climbers are the biggest threat to your precious little cragging environment, you should dig a little deeper."

"If you were true environmentalist than you would quit your selfish climbing endeavors and spend your time doing something actively beneficial for the evironment. Think about that next time you load up the SUV and head out to Leavenworth. You talk about your values... well, show me the money! "

I used to climb at Little Si before it was developed as a sport climbing area. It was fun to wander the base of the wall, toproping routes and leading the few cracks to be had. The base was covered with a garden of moss, lichens, and ferns. It had a primeval feel to it. Then Brian started putting in routes and then he wrote a guide and Little Si got badly beaten up by the hordes descending on the place. It pains me to see what it looks like now as compared to the pre-sport crag era.

The bolts themselves do relatively little harm; it is what they attract that wreaks the havoc.

It shows ignorance to hide behind the "take a look at your own actions" argument. We are a weak and vulnerable species that needs to manipulate our environment quite a bit to survive. It is a matter of degrees as to how we impact our environment. We all do it. It can't be helped. There is no such thing as a true environmentalist, only varying degrees.

• 1 year later...