spray detracts from this site

Alex

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can offer up an interim solution. I installed an IRC server at my website where anyone that knows how to use it can login and spray in realtime. tongue.gif

If you don't know what internet relay chat is then just think of an AOL chatroom. It's the same thing. If you don't know what a chatroom is, it is simply a place where you can type in your thoughts and they appear to the "room" as soon as you hit enter. You can also see all the other members in the chatroom and even converse with them offline while still remaining logged into the chat. The user also has the ability to use different fonts and color schemes and can write small macros that send instant messages to the group such as "Rayborbony is the funniest name I have ever heard on this site" tongue.gif

I will log several protests however. One thing to note is that this nothing more than a NON personalized version of the Whillans/Alex/MVS post that was bound to come up sooner or later.

First off, who am I to detract from this site by coercing users to my website. That sucks, because Tim and J have done alot of work and I don't want to steal their traffic so people that want to talk smack can do so.

I strongly disagree that spray does not meet the mission that Timmy and Big J proposed in the beginning. Many of the "spray people" became climbing partners and now enjoy a much larger landscape of possibilities as a result. In the interim the group grows almost daily. For every detractor of "useless" spray there is someone that gets a good laugh out of it. Informal communication I would call it. Some of the other threads tend to border on pyschologically draining, and repetetive.

The sprayzone seems to be simply a group of people who climb and still find time in their lives to get on the internet. I think the majority of the spray posters simply love climbing and find happiness in expressing themselves in senseless posts.

BLAH BLAH BLAH....anyway why argue. If anyone wants to know how to use the IRC chatserver at alpinelite please email me @ mikeadamson@alpinelite.com. Please don't expect any quick responses as I am kind of busy for the next month, but I will take the time to make a document FAQ online that will tell you where to get an IRC client and how to connect to the IRC server.

If Timmy and J decide to install an IRC server for the spray site I will remove mine. Likewise if you want to spray on this site then please do so because I AM NOT the webmaster and I am NOT attempting to steal this sites rightfully earned members frown.gif .

Only trying to appease a vocal minority of posters and probably a non vocal group as well. I am only offering up this solution because I feel that others may feel the same as Alex does and I respect those opinions.

Mike Adamson

mikeadamson@alpinelite.com

[This message has been edited by mikeadam (edited 04-20-2001).]

Mike, this is a good solution, thanks for taking the iniative. I don't think it matters really where the IRC server is set up, I think alot of people will find it useful (me too!) to trade real time information, idle chat, and serve as an appropriate venue for THE BATTLE CAGE!! Is it up now or when will it be?

Alex,

Excellent! I'm glad we can find peace here in the valley of CC.com. I installed it last week during the fateful-misunderstood Whillans/Alex/MVS feud and then forgot about it. I haven't even tried to connect to it yet, but it's there. By default if you log in 1st you become the "whip cracker" and can bounce anyone at anytime.

Let me know if you try to logon and if you have any problems. I'll be out *climbing/thrutching* for the next week, but when I get back I'll write up a BOT to monitor the BATTLE CAGE!

Have fun! SPRAY LIVES!

Mike Adamson

mikeadamson@alpinelite.com

I don't know what kind of social interaction you have when you climb Alex, but most conversations with people I climb with usually border if not completely cross into dilution. You may be very intelectual in all your conversations, but I don't think you should force everyone to see things your way.

Spray is in a seperate section, so you can have serious conversations about climbing without having to shovel through a bunch of BS. If you eliminate the spray section you will have to see it return to the climbers board.

I should note that I have seen you contribute to spray and then delete all of your posts due to embarrassment (I suppose).

Serious discussions are great, but if thats all you do then don't you think that makes you dull?

I think you need to get in touch with your inner moron.:P

It's a good thing I'm not a Christian I would have had to go to a service on the weekend instead of climbing! Knees are for kneebarring not kneeling in pews!

(Any offended Christians out there feel free to turn the other cheek)

DrU (founding member of Solid Rock Climbers For Beer)

As a regular here, I am beginning to get annoyed at the silly posts that clutter the landscape. There is spray, people flaming others for strongly felt opinions, and then there is "spray", which is completely worthless banter about nothing climbing related. I know I will get flamed for making my own (unpopular) opinion heard about this subject yet again, but I think its really time that those people who want to "chat" about nothing in particular just take it somewhere else, like IRC, a mud, the MSN Zone, whereEVER.

Am I a minority on this? Can we just get rid of the Spray directory?

Sorry to be so controversial. Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 04-20-2001).]

spray is off in its own directory (although the odd comment spills over on other threads), if you don't like it then don't check the messages in spray? or are you being forced or tricked into reading them somehow? i don't quite get your point.

At the risk of inciting "The Tong", my point is that even though the Spray is superficially isolated, does that warrant posts that have nothing to do with the site, its mission, the majority of the poster's interests? On ALL other BBSs I visit, the posts, even though sometimes rife with flames, are always relevant to some central topic.

My point is, why post to a BBS, when you can use IRC, muds, Zone, other chat rooms, other 'net resources to PRIVATELY chat and try to get over the boredom of the day? Why make this public for everyone?

I just find it detracts from the site.

Dru, if you supplied me with an email address, I'd love to take this offline and we could talk about it alot more in depth.

Alex

Amen vegetablebelay. Cascade climbing itself is often whimsical witness Beckey's description of one of the Index routes where his text invites one to "imitate a gorilla through the bushes to the next belay".

Alex, if you want to send me a private message you could use that very feature of this site like "RayBorbon" just did (oops i hope i'm not giving away any secret identities here!) a few minutes ago. that would get a quicker response than my private email that I have promised my employers I will not look at at work! (but they didn't ask about message boards - and I didn't tell ) wink.gif

Watch out Old Druster may have other uses for the Betty Bowers doll??!!

Hey Alexus was that your Citroen parked in the Icicle this weekend at Mountaineers Dome?! I think I spotted you up there in a pink spandex miniskirt with a hula hoop.

caveystandingsml.gif

[This message has been edited by Cpt.Caveman (edited 04-25-2001).]