Guide Needed - Rainier Group Climb July 30th

RainierGroup

Hello,

We are currently looking for someone who has experience climbing Rainier to guide our group to the summit via the Disappointment Cleaver route. Our approved permit for July 30th - Aug 1 is for a Group up to 12. Currently we have 6 committed members. We hope to have two experienced (guide type) climbers integrated into teams of 4 to make the summit. We are willing to compensate for your time. We are planning a practice run to Muir on July 3rd to work on ropes, ice axe arrest training and to get an assessment on the teams’ physical conditioning. Please let us know if you are interested.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do we know that this is not an attempt by MRNP or RMI to set up a sting against illegal guide services?

Or if this is legit, I would have to say that advertising on an inter-net forum for illegal guide services is at best poorly advised.

Edited by num1mc

I am not aware of what constitutes illegal guide service. We are a group of friends that want to climb Rainier. One of our original climbers was someone who had guide experience. He since has had to change plans. We submitted for our climbing permit back in March when the applications opened and our group has changed. We were just trying to provide some incentive for someone to help us out, but hey if someone will climb with us because we have the permit and we are a good bunch of guys that is preferred but we wanted to offer a way to compensate for someone’s time. We want to climb but we all cannot afford the $1400/person the guide service charge.

From what I can find on the internet, there is a title 36, code of federal regulations that prohibits unauthorized commercial climb of Mount Rainier. This is a private group so this does not apply. If the person was part of a company and promoted their services as such I would see how this would apply but again this is a private group and we are looking for an individual(s) to assist us on their own time.

You don't need a guide for Rainier. Especially on July 30th. Just get your buddies together once or twice before the big climb and get your shit together.

Of course if you feel you must...

First-you might want to think about changing your screen name because it just screams total cluster fuck.

Second-you probably don't want to title your first post "Guide Needed Rainier Group Climb . Again, total cluster fuck.

Finally-when you are informed that your post is requesting something that is illegal, you might want to do just a little more research into the issue before deciding for yourself that it's not illegal. This issue has been pretty well hashed out by the powers that be and I'm sorry to inform you, again, but guiding on Rainier is illegal and they will prosecute your ass.

If you ask me the whole monopoly thing that's going on with RMI is Bullshit. Yes that's bullshit with a capital B. However, don't think for a second that RMI gives a rat's left testicle about what you or I think. I know a dude that can't/won't climb Rainier because if his name shows up on a permit they immediately start busting his balls and making the climb a royal pain in his ass. If he's on the mountain they accuse him of guiding because he guides alot elsewhere in WA and they are protecting their turf. Again see the bullshit part above.

Whatever...I've never hired a guide and I probably never will. Unless I get this whole 7 summits thing off the ground. I'm gonna be the fattest man to do all seven of those fuckers. I'll prolly need a guide for that?

Welcome to CC! :wave:

From what I can find on the internet, there is a title 36, code of federal regulations that prohibits unauthorized commercial climb of Mount Rainier. This is a private group so this does not apply.

Do you really believe what you just said?

We are currently looking for someone who has experience climbing Rainier to guide our group

We are willing to compensate for your time

Please explain how compensating someone for their time is not paying them. When you are in someone employ, you are now partaking of a commercial endeavor.

I still thing that this is RMIor AAI trying to smoke out some pirates.

If you ask me the whole monopoly thing that's going on with RMI is Bullshit. Yes that's bullshit with a capital B.

RMI doesn't have a monopoly on guiding Rainier, Dumbass. Yes that's dumbass with a capital D.

Sorry to get yer panties in a twist. You must work for them or have a good friend who does? Perhaps I overstated the nature of the back room deal they got going on. What would you call it?

From what I can find on the internet, there is a title 36, code of federal regulations that prohibits unauthorized commercial climb of Mount Rainier. This is a private group so this does not apply.

Do you really believe what you just said?

We are currently looking for someone who has experience climbing Rainier to guide our group

We are willing to compensate for your time

Please explain how compensating someone for their time is not paying them. When you are in someone employ, you are now partaking of a commercial endeavor.

I still thing that this is RMIor AAI trying to smoke out some pirates.

cough cough, there could be other...favors...cough cough. It is possible to compensate someone without paying them. Whether that compensation, whatever it may be, constitutes a violation of the commercial restrictions is up to the NPS or the courts if it comes to that. Sounds like a grey area to me. My 2 cents.

Edited by summitchaserCJB

Four companies offer guided climbs of Mt Rainier: Mountain Madness, RMI, International Mountain Guides and Alpine Ascents International (not AAI, which use should be confined to the American Alpine Institute, a company which existed long before the management of Alpine Ascents dreamed up a way to skim business off the older company)

http://www.mountainmadness.com/namerica/chimney.cfm

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/mountaineering-guide-services.htm

Hey,

Mr RainierGroup,

I am no way interested in being paid or otherwise compensated to guide you, however, I may be interersted in climbing with you since you have the permits all worked out. I would also be happy to show you everything I know (would take about 15 minutes).

I sent you a PM and can also be reached at bighurtbob@hotmail.com.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

If the "RanierGroup" is authentic and not actually a troll, they should have gone about this project by simply asking for experienced climbers to help them out rather than blatantly proposing an illegal activity. If they had done so they might even have heard from some guides willing to work under the table, but as it is no one in there right mind would want to work for them now.

On the other hand it sounds like Dan might be up for helping them out, and he's certainly capable. And there might be others who would do so, if I wasn't so busy this year (darn job) I'd consider it.

Illegally guiding the DC rout on Ranier would be rather foolish, sort of like trying to sell drugs in the parking lot of a police station.

Anyhow, if this is an honest inquiry I hope that you do find some experienced climbers to make the trip happen for you, and I hope you all have a good time and stay safe. Please don't go climb the thing without knowing what you are doing, the park service already has enough of those people to deal with. And here's a bit of free advice: Don't post about illegal activities on the internet.