2010 Beacon Rock Peregrine Monitoring Journal

JosephH

Uh,Kerouac wouldn't even climb it; rather, he'd sit at the bottom

and watch Snyder do it. Hee hee!

Anyway, well, thanks for replying. Some of that I know, about the birds I mean, and areas being closed off.

Sorry for my complaint. Didn't know the branches were dead, they looked green and alive from my angle, albeit far away. And, I was too far away or don't have good enough eyesight to see that you'd slung around the tree.

So do most climbers "remove what needs to go," and thereby, take precedence over what's there, or do they maybe find another line? Is that balance? Again, just curious.

Looked like a nice line you were taking, btw, cept for that tree. And, I know you were going to the left of it. . .

Don't know how many trees got the ax to make that trail. . . But, should we(not you) all rip out more trees to make our own trail, just because "they" did it back then?

Yep, I'd like to go out and climb Beacon one of these days. Been wanting to for some time, though, as mentioned, I'm not really a rock climber, but would like to become somewhat proficient at it, say be able to climb 5.6 or so.. . What was that you guys were on?

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for not pissing on Gaia. She's my girlfriend too.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I'd like to go out and climb Beacon one of these days. Been wanting to for some time, though, as mentioned, I'm not really a rock climber, but would like to become somewhat proficient at it, say be able to climb 5.6 or so.. . What was that you guys were on?

Come back in mid to late July when the closure is lifted and we'd be happy to run you up the SE Corner route on Beacon. One of the northwest's classic lines (IMO). It's a great climb to the top and only a few 5.6-5.7 moves on the entire 5 pitch route. I think anybody that can get on that route would really enjoy it. Most of us would be happy to show you the ropes, so to speak...

Come back in mid to late July when the closure is lifted and we'd be happy to run you up the SE Corner route on Beacon. One of the northwest's classic lines (IMO). It's a great climb to the top and only a few 5.6-5.7 moves on the entire 5 pitch route. I think anybody that can get on that route would really enjoy it. Most of us would be happy to show you the ropes, so to speak...

Sounds very good! Northwests' classic lines? True?

Seriously, sounds very good.

Thanks.

So do most climbers "remove what needs to go," and thereby, take precedence over what's there, or do they maybe find another line? Is that balance? Again, just curious.

the 2 options are:

1) climb where there are no cracks - this requires drilling and bolting, which angers many

or

2)removing dirt, debris and vegeatation from the cracks, which angers many

:)

Thanks.

Well, you have some great positions, with beautiful views of the river. Granted, I have barely scratched the surface of "lines" in the northwest, but I do know a good climb when I stumble onto one. Even though your only 5 minutes from the parking lot, Beacon can have a real "alpine" feel once you get a few pitches off the ground. The finally ridge pitch is 5.5stectacular (IMO)...

Thanks.

Well, you have some great positions, with beautiful views of the river. Granted, I have barely scratched the surface of "lines" in the northwest, but I do know a good climb when I stumble onto one. Even though your only 5 minutes from the parking lot, Beacon can have a real "alpine" feel once you get a few pitches off the ground. The finally ridge pitch is 5.5stectacular (IMO)...

No, it sounds very good. I know what you mean about that "alpine feel." I experience that on many of the hikes in the gorge, once above or at treeline. Very nice.

Will have to look at some route maps, etc. of Beacon.

the 2 options are:

1) climb where there are no cracks - this requires drilling and bolting, which angers many

or

2)removing dirt, debris and vegeatation from the cracks, which angers many

:)

the tree you were concerned about is the big one on the rgiht - you'll notice she's in fine shape :)

stonesoup5.jpg

Hmmm, that's the tree? Looks a bit different in the pic. . . though I was on the ground.

Was that a "new" route you were on, or not?

What about option 3: climbing where there are "clean" cracks? Or, am I barking up the wrong crack? Maybe I'm just on crack. :crazy:

Hmmm, that's the tree? Looks a bit different in the pic. . . though I was on the ground.

Was that a "new" route you were on, or not?

What about option 3: climbing where there are "clean" cracks? Or, am I barking up the wrong crack? Maybe I'm just on crack. :crazy:

there are many routes up this side, but most are obscure - i'm just trying to figure them out (there's an old set of anchors just below that tree)

stonesoup4.jpg

that was the tree you were concerned for - you were across the road, coming down from the upper park - i was wrestling w/ the lower left side of it - note the big dead branch on left i left alone after i figured you or your freind had a sniper rifle :)

i like the part where the dhrmabum yells out of his window from his idling car where giant trees once stood disapproving of ivan bullying a tiny tree growing from a rock that you couldn't keep a crack clean of vegetation if you tried. FUCKING PRICELESS :lmao

your revolution is over, condolences. the BUMS lost.

Edited by pink

the other route that goes up that face that jim and i put up was named smoke signals AKA barneys bullt after the barney fife ranger guy tried to yank us off the face cause he didn't know it was open. your always gonna get grief climbing up high on that face. not like you climbed the delicate arch or anything. :)

i like the part where the dhrmabum yells out of his window from his idling car where giant trees once stood disapproving of ivan bullying a tiny tree growing from a rock that you couldn't keep a crack clean of vegetation if you tried. FUCKING PRICELESS :lmao

:lmao: :lmao:

dhrmabum.....the ethic is what ever you make of it. Kill trees, moss, shrubs....what ever it takes to put a new line it. Just ask Bill Coe. He has unearthed intire echo systems to put up a new route.

I personally dont give a rats ass about the tree in question on the route Ivan was on. I did not give a rats ass when they chopped down hundreds of trees to put the road in I drove on to get to Beacon either. Just saying.....

dhrmabum.....the ethic is what ever you make of it. Kill trees, moss, shrubs....what ever it takes to put a new line it. Just ask Bill Coe. He has unearthed intire echo systems to put up a new route.

I personally dont give a rats ass about the tree in question on the route Ivan was on. I did not give a rats ass when they chopped down hundreds of trees to put the road in I drove on to get to Beacon either. Just saying.....

:whistle:

Here's a historical photo. It is amazing how many more tress are there than use to be.

beacon.hist.jpg

holy fucking sweet>>> you can see the trees missing from where the trail was BLASTED out and all the abundance of trees where all the kickass bacon rock climbers hang out. :)