Olympic news coverage

murraysovereign

This evening's newscasts will all give prominent coverage to the training accident that occurred at the Luge track in Whistler this morning, and they're going to replay the video. My personal advice is to not watch it. Close your eyes, look at the floor, go into the kitchen and rattle around in the cutlery drawer for a minute... When the story was first being reported this morning I saw the video of the crash, and I wish I hadn't.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the local news tonight: the deceased athlete had previously had an accident at almost the same spot on the course, a day or two prior, and there have been numerous other accidents as well, all in the lower part of the course where this fatal accident occurred.

It was reported that several training runs had set unofficial world records because of the great speed of the course; by the time sledders reached the area where the majority of accidents have occurred, speeds have been consistently well over 100 mph. The deceased athlete was clocked at 144.3 mph just before the crash. Luge and bobsled contestants have been remarking all week on the extreme danger of the course.

One curve in particular has become known as a "50/50" curve; half the time you make it, half the time you don't. While the luge is certainly known and accepted to be dangerous, on this course so far, no contestant or team has yet avoided at least one crash, and most have had several, and that's considered unusual for Olympic level competition.

There have been a lot of complaints before this tragic crash, and one athlete had commented just the day before, after crashing in practice,"Someone's going to get themselves killed running this course."

Edited by Mtguide

Dunno man

Sports such as alpine skiing and the sliding sports contain a tremendous amount of risk, constantly putting athletes on the edge of disaster. Kumaritashvili’s accident, and the circumstances that led to his death, are central to understanding what happened and to the International Olympic Committee’s pending investigation. Therefore we believe showing video of the crash is vital to the proper reporting of the story