truth!

kevbone

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously....if the US just got the hell out of the middle east there would be no threat.

it's also likely that without the policy of meddling and intervention in the Muslim world, there wouldn't be a wave of religious fundamentalism in these regions.

Seriously....if the US just got the hell out of the middle east there would be no threat.

and just like that, religious extremism is solved. I'm sure the hooded guys in the beheading videos are just longing to get back to peacefully raising their families and saving up for that trip to Disneyland.

:rolleyes:

it's also likely that without the policy of meddling and intervention in the Muslim world, there wouldn't be a wave of religious fundamentalism in these regions.

right, that's all it would take to launch the culture 600 years into the present and rewrite the Koran so it no longer explicitly and repeatedly teaches its readers to despise non believers.

I agree that our politics are not helping matters and in fact fueling the fire, but beyond that ascribing the whole conflict to politics is willful ignorance.

right, that's all it would take to launch the culture 600 years into the present and rewrite the Koran so it no longer explicitly and repeatedly teaches its readers to despise non believers.

I agree that our politics are not helping matters and in fact fueling the fire, but beyond that ascribing the whole conflict to politics is willful ignorance.

The fact of the matter is that fundamentalism has made great headways throughout the muslim world since the policies of meddling intensified. I am no expert in religious writings but I seriously doubt the Koran is anymore intolerant of others than say the old testament.

and just like that, religious extremism is solved.

I am only interested in religious extremism against America.

it's everyone's problem and making it geopolitical won't shield you from it, ever.

What exactly is "everyone's problem"? Be specific please.

Obfuscating the ongoing historical development of the Middle East, the process by which a potent strain of militant Islam came into existence, and how and when people are radicalized around ethnic, religious, tribal, and national identities by pretending that the Koran is a sort of timebomb set in the 7th Century is kinda silly.

The fact of the matter is that fundamentalism has made great headways throughout the muslim world since the policies of meddling intensified. I am no expert in religious writings but I seriously doubt the Koran is anymore intolerant of others than say the old testament.

I largely agree except that Christianity has undergone a multi hundred year process of selectively ignoring passages of its texts that conflict with tenets of civil society, whereas Islam with its closed societies and hindrinces to outside exchange of ideas, has not.

The Islamic world has a lot of catching up to do, and we all have long way to go ourselves at that. Our military adventurism is retarding this process and yes, helping proliferate the miltant Islamic movements. But I would maintain that their cultures and religious doctrines were already primed for it.

I largely agree except that Christianity has undergone a multi hundred year process of selectively ignoring passages of its texts that conflict with tenets of civil society, whereas Islam with its closed societies and hindrinces to outside exchange of ideas, has not.

The Islamic world has a lot of catching up to do, and we all have long way to go ourselves at that. Our military adventurism is retarding this process and yes, helping proliferate the miltant Islamic movements. But I would maintain that their cultures and religious doctrines were already primed for it.

This is pure horseshit. Muslim societies were practically inventing mathematics, astronomy, law, exploring the globe, etc. etc. etc. while Europe was scratching around in the dirt for tubers. The kind of ahistorical nonsense you're spewing is a debunked, disproven Clash of Civilizations rehash. Get real.

Obfuscating the ongoing historical development of the Middle East, the process by which a potent strain of militant Islam came into existence, and how and when people are radicalized around ethnic, religious, tribal, and national identities by pretending that the Koran is a sort of timebomb set in the 7th Century is kinda silly.

read your history, prole, and take a read through the Koran. To say nothing of other faiths, Islam has from its inception been a miltant religion of conquest. It is not going away therefore the hope is it will transform itself from within to coexist with modern civil society. That might come in the form of a new testament of sorts. The old testament of the bible is largely ignored today, thankfully, for it's a frightfully barbaric tome. The Koran isn't any different yet there's a billion faithful right now who read it daily. Pretending that organized religion in general isn't dangerous, or one in particular isn't just because of your politics surrounding it demand you give it empathy- well to me that is kinda silly.