I Love Bouldering

Lambone

We are hosting a Bouldering Competition presented by The American Bouldering Series at the Seattle Vertical World on Saturday December 1st. Yes, that is this Saturday!

First,Let me begin with a Common Misconception: You have to be super strong, and look like a pro to be in a bouldering comp...

Answer: WRONG! This event is all about having fun and going for it...whatever your skill level. All AGES, AND LEVELS OF STRENGTH AND TECHNIQUE ARE ENCOURAGED TO COMPETE! All the problems will be brand new, and there will be something for everyone (yes-even really short people). There are four skill categories ranging from Beginner to Elite that will divide the ranking of the competitors. Anyone can compete within any category they wish, and jump on any problem regardless of its grade (there will be problems from V0- through Vsick). For most people its not about scoring points, it’s about having fun, pushing yourself, and cheering on others. For some people it’s all about winning! Whatever floats your boat... [geek]

The Rundown:We'd like folks to show up between 9:00 and 10:00am to register. Between 10-11:00 we will be squaring away all the details, prepping the judges, and letting folks get warmed up. From 11-3:00 climbers will get their groove on, 'scend as many hard (or easy) problems as you can! Then we will total up the scores and give out COOL PRIZES for each category.

Please contact the gym at (206) 283-4497 for more details on the registration fee($30.00 before 11/30/01 and $35.00 on the day of the competition), time schedule, scoring procedure, or any stuff like that. For directions to VW check out this web page

Also:If anyone is interested in helping out, we are looking for volunteers (judges), free lunch and climbing afterward included.

To those of you who refuse to submit to the joys of bouldering...peace be with you.

This is the perfect opportunity for me to show all you cascadeclimbers what a hardman I am rolleyes.gif" border="0 , but unfortunately I will be working the counter on Saturday... frown.gif" border="0 Hope to see ya there smile.gif" border="0

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Lambone ]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the gayest thing about all these comps is the fact they claim to be for all. but who gets the phatty prizes? the elite or pro's or whatever you may call them. who do you read about in the rags and who do people spray about??? all the peeps who throw down hard, and probably all the time. it is the same thing over and over again. just like that ff climbing dealo in lworth this past summer, the only thing ever heard about was who was there and how cool everyone thought they might be. and a crappy pic of some pathetic boulder along the road....whoa now that is sic!!!!!!

so i bet when i say us here at cc.com only want to hear about the the 'lower classes' results only!!!! and leave all the gods and their bro-dawgs in heaven!!!! cause who cares how hard anyone can climb.....i certainly don't!

via la v420!!!!

have fun bone, cause i am sure it is fun in a way that i cannot fathom......

quote:

Originally posted by miker:
I might be up for this.If I can climb all V0's and half the V1s and select V2s and 3s which category am I in? Super beginners?

miker

Mike,

You can climb as many problems as you want, and you have multiple trys to complete each, you will get points for the five hardest that you complete. V2-V3 is the intermediate category. If you sign up as a Beginer and do a bunch of V4s, you will be automaticly bumped up to Advanced tongue.gif" border="0

Eric,

I've worked at several comps that the VW has hosted, the bouldering comp was by far the funnest. A wide variety of climbers, lots of positive encouragement, everybody was just hangin out havin fun. I just wanted people to know about it, 'cause the more the merrier.

Well I got second place in Men's Beginner, which is sorta the same as second from last in intermediate. wink.gif" border="0

It was a fun day, good routes, only one good stemming route though and lots of slopers. The dyno's were excellent, especially the super high one on the lead wall. I never did complete it, but the commintment of jumping up with all your strength when you are already 8+ feet off the ground gets the blood going, and when you miss the grab, as I am wont to do, the freefall is excellent as you fly back down.

But now I am sore, and feeling slightly old.

miker

Thanks to y'all who came and supported the comp!

Congrat's to those who scored well and got cool prizes, and I hope a good time was had by all!!! Also, got to give a shout out to all of the folks who volunteered their time and energy to make the comp awsome! And of course, thanks to the sponsors who donated cool stuff to the cause. Cheers [big Drink]

BTW- The results will be posted on the VW web site soon...

Hey Ralph,

I called in a couple hours later to check how I did. I am waiting for them to put up the scores on the website so I can see the spread of points between categories. I was curious how close to the beginner/intermediate cutoff I really was.

So did I miss any exciting raffle prizes?

miker

you must have won in your category, cavey! were you the guy who walked away with the Flash Jet-assisted Bong by Metolius? some schwag, that cool.gif" border="0

miker, i didn't actually stay for the awards, i had to, you know, like, go do stuff with my girlfriend wink.gif" border="0

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: slothrop ]