• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Dhamma

Old axe i picked up on ebay

Seller told me it was from turn of the century and he got it from an antique shop in Switzerland. He said it was a military man's axe, "AZ" bearing his initials. Can anyone who knows more than me confirm the age/authenticity? It looks like the original sling material on it. Makes a great conversation piece in my office!

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

I don't think they had teeth on the ice axes made 109 years ago.

I could be wrong. Without any real specific knowledge of ice axe

development my general "take" is that it is more like mid-century.

i just uploaded them to photobucket. i dont know how to make them smaller. if anyone knows id sure appreciate the help

I'm guessing 1940s-1950 (I think that carabiner holes came in the 50s? )

Maybe an expert will weigh in though. What did you pay?

ps, I have a similar axe in my basement with a Mfg name on it, some Euro company. It's seen a few easy summits with me. Good looking axe, love the richness of the wood. Nice find. Suggest wiping the metal down with Eezox to better preserve it.

seems like wooden ice axes have been a hot commodity for some time now. like wooden snow shoes, for the cabin.

ok pics fixed. i paid 200 (which i thought was a lot, but i like the way it looks)

Edited by Dhamma

When you upload them to photobucket resize them. Or make a new copy in photobucket that is a different size. I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but photobucket told me how to do it all.

I'm not sure of that one...but I do know that the earliest versions did not have teeth as seen in my photos below:

_mg_6272.jpg

The above image is a framed ice axe that I have on my wall. I believe this one was homemade as there are no markings denoting a company of any kind and it's teeth are barely visible.

_mg_6275.jpg

The two on the sides that are longer have no teeth...age is unknown by me but it would seem that axes with teeth are newer then axes without....I'd email Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, CO since he has such an extensive collection of mountaineering gear..

Edited by Joe_Poulton

You paid too much. But it doesn't matter if you like it.

I like old axes too. It's fun to imagine where it's been...

I'm not sure of that one...but I do know that the earliest versions did not have teeth as seen in my photos below:

_mg_6272.jpg

The above image is a framed ice axe that I have on my wall. I believe this one was homemade as there are no markings denoting a company of any kind and it's teeth are barely visible.

_mg_6275.jpg

The two on the sides that are longer have no teeth...age is unknown by me but it would seem that axes with teeth are newer then axes without....I'd email Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, CO since he has such an extensive collection of mountaineering gear..

those are beautiful! did you varnish the handles?

My Uncle takes good care of his gear....He handed all of these down to me. When I move in to a house from this Condo I plan to display these.

My 2 cents...is turn of the century is possible, Oldest axe posted in this thread so far. Head shape and size tell you that. $200 was a fair price.