Beacon

kevbone

Tell me again: is it just the moss holding all those blocks together Teh? :lmao:

View of the other side of the Phallus:

Cock_rock_small.jpg

Back when the undammed high river flows killed the trees at the base, well, you can see why it doesn't look like a "Rooster" at all to pioneer folks floating down that treacherous part of the Oregon Trail, or other locals.(insert Cliff Claven moment here) "The Chinook Jargon word for the rock was iwash, referring to penis"...:-)

Reference below: you can't easily make up shit like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooster_Rock_State_Park

• 2 months later...
No arguement about the birds because we as climbers and as a group are going to support them and their nesting any way we can. The birds are part of Beacon, as we are part of Beacon, we are intertwined and Beacon needs both.

Beacon needs the birds? What? The birds might need beacon (that is debatable) but Beacon does not need the birds.

I fully support closures for bird nesting when it makes sense.....but in this case, its a bunch of poppycock.

speaking of birds though, yesterday was the wackiest i've seen it out there - full on aerial combat, birds crashing into the tree on tree ledge - them sitting all over the place squawking - dead fish n' guts n' shit everywhere - wasn't certain but at some pt it looked like a peregrine was tangling w/ a redtail hawk?

speaking of birds though, yesterday was the wackiest i've seen it out there - full on aerial combat, birds crashing into the tree on tree ledge - them sitting all over the place squawking - dead fish n' guts n' shit everywhere - wasn't certain but at some pt it looked like a peregrine was tangling w/ a redtail hawk?

That proves the point that they are better with climbers all year long. Less of a shock to them when all of a sudden there are 25 climbers all over.

Retort from Joseph 3....2....1....

Young Peregrines, Hawks and especially the Ravens, in the years they nest on the East Face, are all a loud full-on party riot with endless antics, intra- and inter-species chases, fights, thefts, and squawks and it isn't about us.

yet i briefly debated which species side i wanted to wade in on, their combat merely a few feet away :grin:

I have had the birds swoop and dive bomb on us......funny how it only happens with in a week or two of opening day.

i've never had that experience - i did very much enjoy on el cap this last trip how they'd slooooowly cruise by giving me the big old eye, as interested in me as a slovenly hobo :)

Alright Kev, which routes you getting on? Its pretty fairly steady traffic out there since it opened. Met some folks on Snag ledge the other day. Big shoutout to CH5 and crew who were on Jills Thrill. I forgot to say nice to meet ya, so intent was I on getting out of your way. This warm weather should bring out the crowds! GEt your Woody Goomsbah on!

I wont be getting there until around 2 pm which is good do to the weather. Beacon usually goes in the shade around 3 or so. I think the first climb I need to get out of the way is Young Warriors. then walk down the rap to the LoLP then rap off and probably do Little Wing into Fear of flying (one pitch), then crux pitch of Jills into Crazy Horse (one pitch). these are great link ups that are doable. But I am old and fat and out of shape so we will see how I feel. I am just stoked to get out.

k

that Crazy Horse pitch right off the ledge makes me nervous to lead, ankle buster if stopper pulls or your belayer is not right on it. I'd rather be doing those kind of moves up in the air, so decided that since I'm a old man and in the interests of preserving my ankle I probably won't be doing that section henceforth, but then I'm weak and shaftless. Alrighty, hope to see you out there!