Beacon

kevbone

I have seen a few bears in my time at Beacon. It has been a while....then again, it has been a while since I spent any real time there.

Looks like I will be out there tomorrow and not Sunday....anyone else coming out?

i'm meeting kenny out there in the morning - don't know what the hell we're doing yet though...

I am planning on getting to the base sometime around 7 am. I have to be back by 2 so the early bird gets the worm.

My ride and climbing partner for the Olympics this weekend has pretty much bailed and I don't plan to waste this beautiful weather. I'll throw in gas money for a ride out there from North Portland.

man, d'as early - kenny's gotta work at 1 - i imagine i'll be arriving sometime about 8.

edited to add there kev, me n' ben n' mike are taking our li'l kids climbing at french's dome sunday, if you want to bring yours...

Man....thanks for the invite. If I did not have such a busy life I would go.

here's a first for me from y-day: saw a tree squirrel leap off that big tree half way up wrong gull, then proceed to free solo up the vertical crack, jamming and liebacking on the knifeblade crack for 10 feet before boldy launching onto the face up to where all the blackberries used to be

no clue what his exit strategy was, but i'm pretty sure the l'il feller ended up alright :)

Yum, bacon squirrel on a stick clip. I sure miss the temple of bacon. Hopefully gonna get a week at home soon though.

man, d'as early - kenny's gotta work at 1 - i imagine i'll be arriving sometime about 8.

edited to add there kev, me n' ben n' mike are taking our li'l kids climbing at french's dome sunday, if you want to bring yours...

I've been talking up the climbing w Ben & co to my kids too, as soon as I can get home, that is.

I have seen a few bears in my time at Beacon. It has been a while....then again, it has been a while since I spent any real time there.

Looks like I will be out there tomorrow and not Sunday....anyone else coming out?

i'm meeting kenny out there in the morning - don't know what the hell we're doing yet though...

come on out doood - if you can get to camas i'll take you from there

I am planning on getting to the base sometime around 7 am. I have to be back by 2 so the early bird gets the worm.

My ride and climbing partner for the Olympics this weekend has pretty much bailed and I don't plan to waste this beautiful weather. I'll throw in gas money for a ride out there from North Portland.

• 4 weeks later...
Almost a month with no posts. Wow.

it's been raaaaainy.

drove out from camas yesterday through a gentle drizzle, seriously questioning my free-solo plan, but arrived to a dry lot - dashed down to the base and hustled up the corner, not a breath of wind or another person to be seen, just the sounds of me huff'n'puff'n - 15 minutes later i was up at the trail, admiring the huge elk herd, when the downpour hit :)

the icing on the cake was scaring the crap out of the old folks hobbling down from the summit, who didn't understand how i'd managed to get behind them since they'd had the top to themselves :P

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Denali Dave, sorry we never caught up to ya yesterday. Would have been nice to hear your stories! Whoever does Blownout next, bring a wrench to tighten up the anchor bolts as the hangers are loose.

Thanks for the heads up. I first climbed Blownout when there were no bolted anchors. That was good times.

Thank you Andrew (Pink) for putting them in.

Hey Denali Dave, sorry we never caught up to ya yesterday. Would have been nice to hear your stories! Whoever does Blownout next, bring a wrench to tighten up the anchor bolts as the hangers are loose.

Thanks for the heads up. I first climbed Blownout when there were no bolted anchors. That was good times.

Thank you Andrew (Pink) for putting them in.

i did?

• 3 weeks later...

ALERT! There is a large detached hanging rock, (100 lbs?), on the 3rd pitch of the SE Corner route on Beacon Rock.

It is located as you near the topout to the left of the perfect little mini dihedral where there is a sandy ledge on the right at the top of the dihedral. The block is the lowest of 3 stacked blocks and has nothing under it to hold it in place. I stepped on it, and felt it move, so climbed down and looked at it, and it has detached about 1/4 inch or so, and the moss and lichen pulled away. It is just suspended there. So it could go with the next person to step on it, or it might take a crowbar but I doubt it. when it goes, if on lead, its a rope chopper, and right in line to take out the belayer on Tree ledge. Maybe next person take some white paint up and put a large "X" on it, until it can be dealt with.