Pain from metalwork/Pilon fracture

archenemy

How long does it take to stop feeling pain after having metal plate/screws put in for a Pilon fracture?

I shattered everything in my lower leg four months ago. My ankle is feeling better. However, the front of my leg, the tibia, right above where the plate stops hurts with every single step.

When does this go away?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Archenemy, THAT BLOWS DIRTY BALLS!! How in the hell did you shatter your freaking leg???

I had screws in my Tibia from snapping my ankle super bad when I was in 8th grade. I think I remember it hurting for like 4 months afterwards. :( Do you take painkillers? It sounds like your bone is still healing? What do X-rays show? What's his face has a good point about asking your doc about getting the metal removed once its all healed up. Bones keep recycling through the entire life-span, and I've actually read papers about the etiology of metal hardware negatively effecting bone remodeling (as it can change the direction of force vectors through the osseum). This could be a fun excuse to get all loose on meds. :)

How is everything else going? Its been forever since I posted on this website, so thought I'd check in :)

Hope your leg feels better :(

Edited by i_like_sun

I had major ankle and fib trauma back in Feb... Bones broken, ligaments snapped, all that crap... No bueno...

Pain is down and strength is up - seems like the healing happens in spurts. Two weeks ago my ankle was stiff, sore and weak, and now it feels like it's back to 90% again suddenly. The fib was the least severe but hurt the most and the longest. Hope yours suddenly feels better too!

Thank you all for your input! I am encouraged.

I broke it in Little Cottonwood Canyon on a warmup climb. At least I got some months of good climbing/no workie in before this happened!

I just decided two days ago to get off pain meds. The rebound is shocking how much it hurts. But I am so done with that shit that I will need to be crying before I take anything other than ibpro. and whiskey.

I have been asking around about the metal-removal option. Thank you for your $0.02 on that--it is worth a million to me.

Also, does the description "sustained bilateral pilon fracture" apply to me? I did break both tib and fib all the way through.

What is "major injury of the contralateral lower extremity"?

I cracked my ankle joint as well as broke the end of the bone of and the spliners when into the joint area. Is the description above referring to this?

Hard to say without looking at your X-rays but ask your doctor.

damn that sucks ass. i have screws in my tibia going into a metal pipe running the length of it after snapping my tib/fib a couple year back now...and i still notice them.

i would suggest talking with your doctor about getting the metal removed after stuff heals if possible. i wish i had.

How long does it take to stop feeling pain after having metal plate/screws put in for a Pilon fracture?

I shattered everything in my lower leg four months ago. My ankle is feeling better. However, the front of my leg, the tibia, right above where the plate stops hurts with every single step.

When does this go away?

No injuries are the same. I also have a titanium plate in the joint since 2002 and it is going to stay in there otherwise I was told I would develop an osteochondrosis after the age of 50.

Pain was unmerciful for a month but subsided afterward and full flexibility was regained after 4 months.

I send you my best with your healing Arch. Being in pain and not able to climb is SO depressing... Oh, I've been reading a lot about the importance of Vitamin D on supporting systemic anabolic metabolism. Read a study that showed pretty strong statistical significance that adequate Vitamin D increased fracture healing rates in rabits.... maybe take an extra shot of Cod Liver Oil in the mornings?

:)

Also, does the description "sustained bilateral pilon fracture" apply to me? I did break both tib and fib all the way through.

sound like you have a pilon fracture of one leg only, thus it is not bilateral. Pilon refers to a comminuted or fragmented/displaced fracture of the tibia. You probably sufferred some nerve damage as well. To have residual pain 4 months out is not surprising and it may take 6 months or a year to resolve

As mentioned, vit D is appropriate. as is Calcium, magnesium and a small amount of manganese (15 mg or less).

You are doing well to get off pain meds. You're less likely to aggravate during rehab if you are not masking the pain. Find a good doc and PT, and try to be patient. thats my best advice. Good luck.

Pilon refers to a comminuted or fragmented/displaced fracture of the tibia.

This is not true. There are three types of the Pilon fracture and based on your description, you seem to have a type 2 (both fibia and tibia)

pilon_fracture1.jpg

pilon_fracture2.jpg

pilon_fracture3.jpg

Do follow up with the PT but do not be surprised if you would still be walking with "a parrot on your shoulder" after it is done. What I found worked best for me was to attend the classes in the local gym like step aerobics (for this particular type of the injury). This way you have much more motivation to be like everyone else in a shorter period of time as opposed to one on one situation with your PT.

Pilon refers to a comminuted or fragmented/displaced fracture of the tibia.

This is not true. There are three types of the Pilon fracture and based on your description, you seem to have a type 2 (both fibia and tibia)

pilon_fracture1.jpg

pilon_fracture2.jpg

pilon_fracture3.jpg

Do follow up with the PT but do not be surprised if you would still be walking with "a parrot on your shoulder" after it is done. What I found worked best for me was to attend the classes in the local gym like step aerobics (for this particular type of the injury). This way you have much more motivation to be like everyone else in a shorter period of time as opposed to one on one situation with your PT.

Thank you for posting the pix. I have a type three along with a crack in the talus. The tip of the tibia totally shattered and the doc basically said he opened up the facia, stuck the pieces he could find back in there, and is hoping for the best. I don't really know what that means, but I'm just glad I only see the deformation of the tib and fib trying to poke out of my skin on both sides of my leg in my mind. If I never have to lower myself off a rock praying to God that my piece doesn't blow, that will be too soon for me. (Note to self: stop running out leads).

Anyway, I started PT months ago--I am fool enough to break my bones but not fool enough to do nothing about it. I probably sound like an idiot asking questions that show I am obviously ignorant of medical terms, but healing is important to me and thus my efforts at research, etc.

Thanks again for the pics, it looks exactly like a cartoon rendering of my X rays!

I have a type three along with a crack in the talus. The tip of the tibia totally shattered and the doc basically said he opened up the facia, stuck the pieces he could find back in there, and is hoping for the best. I don't really know what that means, but I'm just glad I only see the deformation of the tib and fib trying to poke out of my skin on both sides of my leg in my mind. If I never have to lower myself off a rock praying to God that my piece doesn't blow, that will be too soon for me. (Note to self: stop running out leads).

Oouch! That would take the most severe impact between all three types.

Just curious, how did you fall? Did you deck?

Good luck on recovery.

Took a lead fall. Wasn't very far (less than 20 ft) and my foot hit the rocks that were wedged in the crack. I heard my leg break on the second rock. I did not deck. In a way I think that was a good thing--mentally. If I didn't have to concern myself with popping the piece I was hanging on and didn't have to get myself back over a traversy part, I think I would have freaked out. Even though I knew my leg was broken, I looked at it anyway. If I could only un-see that....Anyway, I hooked my leg over my arm as if I were resting while ice climbing, and scootched very carfully all the way back down the climb. Well, not all the way, but to a safe perch where my belayer was. SAR got me down the rest of the way in the basket. I screamed so much two mountain goats just stared at me the whole time. I hate those evil creatures.

Arch, you are MY hero. Just reading about your accident makes my stomach go in big knots, I can't imagine having lived through it. Holy crap, girl. Way to keep your wits about you and stay in control til help could arrive. You'll be strong again and climbing better than ever, I have NO doubt. I'm thinking of you every time I'm on the sharp end.

If I were a superhero, I would have swooshed over there and kept you from smashing yourself up on those rocks. We could have scared the hell of the mountain goats. Hehehehe. :eveeel: