Pain from metalwork/Pilon fracture

archenemy

Okay, talked to the doc again yesterday.

I have a Type 3 B - C (he said it was inbetween those two) fracture.

Part of the reason my healing is slow is b/c I was non-weight baring for so long. (I didn't mention the fact that I damaged my left leg badly enough that I was in bed for two weeks and then in a wheelchair for a month after that.)

So, prognosis is, I will live.

We talked about taking the metal out after at least a year. Doc gave me an article talking about the results from people getting metal removed. Really, they don't have much data since internal fixators have only been used regularly for about 6 years. So that is my next quest--finding people who have had it removed and how they are doing. Fun stuff.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We talked about taking the metal out after at least a year. Doc gave me an article talking about the results from people getting metal removed. Really, they don't have much data since internal fixators have only been used regularly for about 6 years. So that is my next quest--finding people who have had it removed and how they are doing. Fun stuff.

Are you really desperate to go under the knife again? Think twice.

Arch, I know it is hard and it sucks, but sit tight on your butt for a little longer (give it like 4-6 months, you have a type 3 Pilon fracture for gods sake) before being concerned about pain not going away.

You are already making a good progress: you are off your pain meds and soon you will climb better than before.

For a change, think of the millions of others who are stuck in front of their idiotic TV boxes and would not climb anything ever.

BTW, I did not like the comment "the doc basically said he opened up the facia, stuck the pieces he could find back in there, and is hoping for the best".

What does it mean the pieces he could find? And how about those he could not? Did he just patch it up to his heart content?

DO insist on the several follow-up X-rays and make sure everything is healing how it is supposed to and all the pieces/metalwork are in place.

I am trying to be optimistic and perhaps I am not doing a good job at that but I would hate to see you to have the same procedure done twice or thrice when they open up your ankle, break everything down and start from scratch. I was "fortunate" enough to experience that with my wrist and I tell you it was not fun. And the best part is you cannot sue the bastards.

And you know what? You better heal right and soon since today I had a real mental block trying to lead and being preoccupied with your type 3 fracture. :wave:

• 1 year later...

After interviewing many doctors, taking tons of tests, and being gently encouraged by my most awesomest PT, I got my metal removed. Funny enough, it was two years to the day of my accident. Three months later, I can begin to remember what being human feels like. I played street hockey

Over 4th of July! I could crapmyself I am so happy.

I'm making jewelry out of my many metal memories.

Oh yeah, the reason for my post ...

Any other recovering gimps available for light climbing at SG? It would be great to work with someone who has been through a challenge and needs to slowly improve. Side benefit - In comparison to me you are going to look like you are flying up walls, spider manning through problems, and hooking the outdoor wall of death-defied.

Morning workouts preferred ;)