FOUND Quickdraw on the P1 anchor of Young Warriors

King Beatard

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were there Bill. I figure it must have gotten placed as a directional and then unclipped and forgotten as the belay stance is over a few feet - I'd fire my second if they thought that was any way to clean though. Maybe somebody rapped and didn't trust that beautiful webbing and so sacrificed a draw to ease their mind?

Whatever it is, I'll take the story and Karma over the booty. I have much to make up for after Dave and Kenny returned my gear from my SE corner epic last January.

Maybe this damn draw moved over from Monkey Face. I think they are free-range running all over willy-nilly loose over that way.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/904724/LOST_17quickdraws_on_the_bolte#Post904724

You were there Bill. I figure it must have gotten placed as a directional and then unclipped and forgotten as the belay stance is over a few feet - I'd fire my second if they thought that was any way to clean though. Maybe somebody rapped and didn't trust that beautiful webbing and so sacrificed a draw to ease their mind?

Whatever it is, I'll take the story and Karma over the booty. I have much to make up for after Dave and Kenny returned my gear from my SE corner epic last January.

I remember now, can I guess can I guess do I get it if I guess right? !!! :)

Wait, I only need "TRAD" draws. They pair nicely with my "TRAD" chalkbag, "TRAD" harness and "TRAD" shoes.

JH, probably just need to leave a longer quickdraw then....Adam has one you can borrow.

Beacon has plenty of other new convenience raps, this rappel needs ones attention, just like the real world. If it's an emergency, clip a bolt 3/4 of the way down, back it up with a piece of gear and do a 2nd rap. That no one has been injured in the last 10 years suggests that it is not blatantly (or sneakily) dangerous, but merely an inconvenience. When ropes were 50 meters, you needed 2 to get down. 2 are still needed but the 60 gets you closer to the ground so folks shortcut. If the rap bolts were lowered from where they are, they would most likely be right on the 1st pitch route with folks using them for a belay and endangering themselves with potential rope cutting in a fall or they would just be in the way. Besides, they've been there long enough that its a tradition. :laf:

Bill, hey if it were up to me I'd remove them entirely. As it is 10' lower would be infinitely better in every way. It's a ridiculous place to belay p2 from. 10' lower they would neither be in the way or in any danger of cutting the rope from what I can tell. Would like to hear more about how you think that scenario might play out. Where they are now is perfect for Lost Warriors but are absolutely worthless for Young Warriors.

I am suprised at how much attention a gear found post has attracted. I think the moderators might need to upgrade me from a noob for this... ... ... Actually, on second thought it's good to be unworthy of greater e-status.

They'll upgrade you to journeyman after you can do a 5.10 first ascent naked in the winter....wait.....you did that last year already. Hey, back to N00b status anyway for the interruption N00b, didn't you see that we're argueing bolts now....sheeese! LOL :lmao:

Congrats on your new quickdraw BTW.

Bill, hey if it were up to me I'd remove them entirely. As it is 10' lower would be infinitely better in every way. It's a ridiculous place to belay p2 from. 10' lower they would neither be in the way or in any danger of cutting the rope from what I can tell. Would like to hear more about how you think that scenario might play out. Where they are now is perfect for Lost Warriors but are absolutely worthless for Young Warriors.

Dont tell Jim that.

I think Jim feels comfortable with less than perfection and sees the good in this as outweighing the bad as this is an opportunity to teach and expand folks worldview as it relates to climbing, ie, that things are less than perfect and you need to keep your head up and pay attention: while JH is seeing it as easy to fix and make it to near perfect and it is less than marginally suitable in it's present condition.

They probably are both right, but I give Jim the slight nod on it, if someone raps off the end of their rope and their butt slams down 10 feet to the ground, they will have learned a valuable lesson cheaply about paying attention and tying knots in the ends of ropes. One they can transfer to a 1000' high cliff and have a better chance of surviving that.

Jim knows my opinion on it. It was a semi-arguable place for an anchor before the dihedral of rocks got trundled, it's been an orphaned anchor ever since. I'm certainly not moving it on my own, but don't buy the logic I've heard to-date as to why it should stay where it is; I get the idea, but it seems like a needlessly contrived / manufactured point of danger to me and not one that was well thought out beyond that three inch ledge being nice to hang out. Oh well...

Jim knows my opinion on it. It was a semi-arguable place for an anchor before the dihedral of rocks got trundled, it's been an orphaned anchor ever since. I'm certainly not moving it on my own, but don't buy the logic I've heard to-date as to why it should stay where it is; I get the idea, but it seems like a needlessly contrived / manufactured point of danger to me and not one that was well thought out beyond that three inch ledge being nice to hang out. Oh well...

I personaly dont care if it is moved down. Just do it. Dont ask Jim, because he doesnt want anything changed at Beacon.

Just do it. Dont ask Jim, because he doesnt want anything changed at Beacon.

uh, but kev, isn't that the kinda thing you rant about on joe on a regular basis, just doing stuff w/o having gotten the nod from the great oracle? :)

ditto on the not caring part - move it or not - it is an orphan now fo'schizzle