interesting closure at smith?

fgw

How does this apply, hard to take a photo in the heat? After reading some of your TRs I know you aren't really that much of a pussy! :)

i am a pussy when it comes to driving 3 hours just to take a picture and then sweat balls :P

i'dve thought my tr's firmly established my girlishness though?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...professional bloodsuckers living off the dole with these cushy Government jobs using their jobs to protect and expand their own importance and paychecks as they utilize the "find" to empire build. They do this by starting a conflict whereby a closure and then the ensuing mandatory public process guarantees that someone has to answer the outraged letters and letters of support. Someone has to have public meetings to discuss the new closure. Someone has to hire more folks to work the new conflict...

Bill, I have to ask, are there any cases you can cite where you think it was/is for the public (or your) good that the state or federal government hires and utilizes scientists for identifying and protecting ecological or cultural resources? I sometimes am genuinely confused as to how to interpret this basic statement of yours when you've used it. I usually take it as a Libertarian "all gov't is bad" sort of deal. I guess what confuses me a bit is how you think things like this should be handled and by whom?

Also, never sure if you aren't just railing against predictable human and institutional behavior / reality - the stuff that basically makes guys like you and I unfit for larger corporate or government service - i.e. 'normal' institutional behavior whether the entity in question is a corporation, government, union, non-profit, religion, or even club of more than about five humans in size. Sort of the behavioral B.S. overhead associated with all human institutions. But isn't that B.S. overhead just part and parcel with getting things done, even if inefficiently?

Just curious anyway, as while I basically agree with some of the basic tenents I think I hear in that quote, I'm also not sure how one can expect us as a society to deal with 'institutional' issues or wield collective power otherwise, or without the baggage that I guess I've come to view of as normal societal / group behavior.

Edit: Also, I suppose those jobs might be 'cushy', IF you can tolerate all the intolerable bullshit that comes with a government job. Definitely wouldn't be cushy from my perspective, it would be torture.

Edit: And of course this question is coming from me - a totally non-group person, but with just a masterful feel for interpersonal communication and group dynamics (yeah, right)...

Edited by JosephH

Clearly there is an important role for scientists doing public work and for public servants Joesph. I wish I had an example on hand, I'm sure there are some and won't argue otherwise. What you are seeing above is my knee jerk reaction due to an underlying belief I have that Government (capitol G) seems to have as it's main job expansion and propagation (at CITIZEN expense) of their powers, roles, importance and remuneration. As it's been happening piecemeal since the start of the country with little let up, often with little forethought or planning: I get pissed and it can come out at odd and incorrectly timed moments. I have been getting more crotchety on this subject as I age.

I have plenty of examples of the latter part of that explanation if you need them.

Regards

I can certainly empathize with the feeling, and could probably think of lots instances of stupidity and excess myself, but I kind of keep coming back to what seems like the unavoidability of stupidity and excess whenever large groups of humans congregate to do something 'productive'. Sure saw no shortage of it in Catholic church, Navy, College, Digital Equipment Corp., etc., etc. Maybe the real question is are there any large human institutions that don't exhibit those behaviors?

If those drawings are Native American art, then i'm the Jolly Green Giant.

They are right at the base of Entering Relativity, which sports a weird spot of heavy red gloss on the rock. All you have to do is dip your finger in the red, and presto, you can draw on the rock. The red stick figures do look very similiar to other "real" art that i've seen in Dry Canyon. But i do believe these were recently added and not the real deal. Anyone could add them anytime.

I was in that area a year ago and don't remember ever seeing the stick figures or lines. They are a bit faded which makes them look more real. I'm no professional but i call B.S. The new stick figures drawn in chalk under Blackened are pretty comical.

• 2 months later...