• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
joepuryear

[TR] FA of Jobo Rinjang, Nepal - 5/5/2009

Trip: FA of Jobo Rinjang, Nepal -

Date: 5/5/2009

Trip Report:

Hey all, David Gottlieb and I just had a fun adventure in the Himalaya of Nepal. We spent 40 days out and about, first on a cool acclimatization trek, then a climb of Kyajo Ri, then finally our efforts turned toward the unclimbed 6,778-meter Jobo Rinjang.

Check out a full account of our adventures on our Climb Nepal Blog. Here a few images from the Jobo Rinjang climb:

Approaching Jobo Rinjang:

IMG_0687.jpg

Our line up the south face:

IMG_0795_line.jpg

A couple shots of David climbing

DSCN1948.jpg

DSCN2065.jpg

On the summit:

DSCN2100.jpg

That is one fawking sweet looking peak.

Nice work boys!

Looking forward to the hometown slideshow of this one as well.

Wow :shock:. Nice work, that's out there. You weren't fearful of snow sloughing off/avalanches or cornices breaking off above you on that line ?

Big congrats!

Way cool guys!

Looking forward to the hometown slideshow of this one as well.

Me too

(From blog) descent was 20 raps, made by pulling rope directly through ice v-threads, plus downclimbing

Impressive LNT! I didn't know that method worked, but 20 raps sure is a lot of proof.

Cool, Thanks guys.

Wow :shock:. Nice work, that's out there. You weren't fearful of snow sloughing off/avalanches or cornices breaking off above you on that line ?

No, there was very little snow. It was a very dry winter in Nepal. Most of the peaks were showing tons of blue ice. Our climb of Kyajo Ri was all ice, when we expected mostly snow. Also, the cornices faced north. Rockfall was the major concern.

(From blog) descent was 20 raps, made by pulling rope directly through ice v-threads, plus downclimbing

Impressive LNT! I didn't know that method worked, but 20 raps sure is a lot of proof.

Yes it works with ropes that are maybe <8.5 mm. We had Sterling 8.4's, which worked great for this. I've tried it with 8.6's and it was tough, but it probably depends on the rope.