this just in from my favorite columnist

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it disturbing that within a day of criticizing the administration he was contacted by four senior staff members.

As opposed to having his wife's identity as a secret agent exposed?

Both are an inappropriate response to criticism. Faults of one administration do not in any ways justify the faults of the next.

One person contacting him, would be doing their job. Maybe two. but FOUR?

Edited by jmo

Guys, stow it. I mean, come on. The guy is probably the top columnist in the country. When he says something, the White House is reading it, and should respond. Jebus, just read the piece, then draw your conclusions.

I did read the piece. Some makes sense. Some I agree with. Some I'm not sure of. That why I offered an alternate opinion.

The problem with the banks/economy is that no one, not the last administration, not this administration - no one - wants to mark the value of the 'toxic' assets to market, run a balance sheet, and publicly read the results out loud. If they did, all the banks would have to declare bankrupcy yesterday.

The problem? Everyone is trying to pay lip service to 'capitalism' and the 'power of free markets' by trying - in any and all conceivable ways - to avoid nationalizing the banks and honestly acknowledging the complete and total failure of both our ideology and our regulatory system. The only way to avoid that is by the government buying toxic assets at above market prices thereby rewarding bad players and behavior - it's a lose-lose scenario however you look at it and has resulted in a bi-partisan paralysis.

Despite their claims, free marketeers like Brooks aren't centrists. The political center recognizes the fundamental role of government in the economy and acknowledges the necessity of welfare both to the have nots and business.

david brooks calls himself a "moderate", but he's just a limp, conservative apologist for republican policies. i'd say he is certainly my least favorite n.y. times columnist after airhead william kristol and an extremely disappointing substitute for the retired safire. i didn't agree with safire's politics, but i respected his analysis and enjoyed his writing.

Safire had more raw intellectual firepower, and he was obviously a master wordsmith and work lover, but i like Brooks (does he describe himself as a moderate? Never heard him peg himself that way) because he's a mellow guy who hangs out with the Kahunas and so is usually able to report inside statements and opinions (adding his bent, of course). I don't agree with him much of the time, but enjoy reading his commentary.

I don't recall reading any apologist pieces.

I don't recall reading any apologist pieces

After 30 years of conservative "big government", soaring deficits, and unprecedented corporate welfare, he wrote that Obama's budget is a "big government document" yet you think he isn't an apologist for the rightwing?

It is a big government document. A very, very big government document.

I'm so far left I believe marriage should be the union between one man and a herd of sheep, but this budget is pretty scary. I believe in sustainable policies. This budget is clearly exactly the opposite, and it as an extreme shot in the dark.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

It is a big government document. A very, very big government document.

I'm so far left I believe marriage should be the union between one man and a herd of sheep, but this budget is pretty scary. I believe in sustainable policies. This budget is clearly exactly the opposite, and it as an extreme shot in the dark.

Yes. :tup: Um, 'cept for the part about the sheep.