Only the Little People Pay Taxes...

Fairweather

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it seems as though you can't swing a Gitmo doll without hitting an unpaid tax bill in D.C. these days, but that's always been true. Only about a third of DC wouldn't donate their kids for stem cell farms for 10 all expense paid days in the Bahamas.

Obama's system seems pretty good, because it's efficiently outting everybody's 'oversights'. I don't agree that a guy like Daschle should be confirmed as anything but Party Boy, but the gubmint doesn't always do what I think they should.

so, conservatives who, in the name of trickle down drivel, for decades pushed tax cuts that primarily benefited corporations and the wealthy, now express concern about the wealthy paying little taxes? Who the hell are you expecting to convince of your new found populism?

Don't pay attention to what the demagogues say, pay attention to what they do!

To quote the fucktard messiah himself... "I screwed up" Was that the hope and change you were looking for? But don't worry, they're always happy to pay their back taxes...but only when they get caught.

I'll admit it's bullshit that all these folks seem to overlook paying their taxes: UTTER Crap, as all of us, no matter which side of the aisle, will agree I'm sure. HOWEVER, I find the apologizing thing refreshing from what the last 8 years of "What, me worry" Alfred e Newman like NEVER accepting blame and guilt or admit a mistake theme that Former Pres Bush had going.

Of course, I'm sure your results will vary. But that's me. I like it. Not a lot of apologizing, but at least Pres. Obama knows where the buck stops. Damn refreshing.

David Cay Johnston on taxation and corporate tax cuts:

you and I are allowed to save, if we have a 401(k) plan, up to $22,000 a year without paying taxes; if we don’t have one, up to six, if you’re an older American. But executives, movie stars, athletes are allowed to save unlimited amounts of money. Hedge fund managers, unlimited amounts of money, without paying taxes. We should end those deferrals. It will bring in hundreds of billions of dollars.

Secondly, the Cayman Islands and other little parasitic operations like it are causing enormous damage to the state of our government’s finances. In 1990, about ten percent of corporate profits were taken in tax havens like the Cayman Islands. Today, it’s roughly one-quarter of all corporate profits. The only purpose served by these operations is to reduce the financial viability of the United States of America government. There’s no reason for us to continue allowing these rules. And the ways that individuals use the Cayman Islands are the same devices that are used by terrorist organizations and narcotics dealers to hide their money, as well as spouses trying to cheat the other spouse in a divorce.

The Bush tax cuts, all of them were financed with borrowed money. And where did we end up at the end of the Bush administration? If you add up all of the bailouts that the Bush administration did in the fall, the investments, the spending and the guarantees, it’s over $8 trillion. How much money is that? It is more than all of the income taxes paid by all Americans for the entire eight years of the Bush administration.

The fact is that if you don’t fix and maintain roads, you can’t move goods around efficiently, the economy suffers. If you don’t spend money on higher education, on research and development, the economy suffers. This notion that government money is, as a student once said to me, taken out in the ocean and just dumped has to go away. We need to recognize that government, which is the biggest single part of our economy, is absolutely vital, if we’re going have a robust economy. That doesn’t mean there isn’t waste and stupidity. And corporate America has plenty of waste and stupidity, too.

having been paid enormous sums of money by the insurance companies, which are a central feature in our healthcare problems, Mr. Daschle was provided with a car and driver by a hedge fund as part of his work for them. When you receive a perk like that, you have to pay taxes. He owes—I think it’s $143,000 in taxes on this. He wasn’t apparently candid with the Obama people upfront about this. And my guess is he is the norm. If the IRS had the money to check up on everyone who works for these big banks and hedge funds, I think they would find vast amounts of perks that are not being taxed. This is what I—part of my arguing that there are two systems of taxation in the United States, separate and unequal: one for working people and one for the rich and powerful, particularly those who own businesses or control them. Daschle’s problems are very troubling, and—but my guess is that if we had a thorough investigation by the IRS, we would find out he’s the norm among those people.

The interest on the debt—the debt that Ronald Reagan promised, if he was elected, he would end—is so great now that it equals all of the money that will be withheld from your paycheck in January, February, March, April and part of May. All of the rest of the income taxes you will pay for the year go to war. They go to the Pentagon budget. Remember, the war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan are not on the regular budget. They go to the Energy Department, which is the bomb-making division of the military. And they go to Veterans Affairs, paying for past wars. And as Joe Stiglitz pointed out, in terms of personnel costs, the peak year for World War II was 1993. One of the major reasons that we are in so much trouble in this country is that what Reaganism has brought us is spending without taxing, spending that money in ways that are totally unproductive and counterproductive and impose huge costs on the future.

Well, it’s ridiculous to think that business tax cuts will result in hiring people. I happen to also be the chairman of the board of a little company that I formed with one of my sons. We hire people. We hire people because we have more business. We don’t hire people to get a tax cut. That’s just the most bizarre thing I’ve ever heard. Business decisions are made on the basis of demand. We need to be spending this money to increase demand.

lots more in the interview: http://www.democracynow.org/2009/2/2/david_cay_johnston_more_corporate_tax

To quote the fucktard messiah himself... "I screwed up" Was that the hope and change you were looking for? But don't worry, they're always happy to pay their back taxes...but only when they get caught.

I'll admit it's bullshit that all these folks seem to overlook paying their taxes: UTTER Crap, as all of us, no matter which side of the aisle, will agree I'm sure. HOWEVER, I find the apologizing thing refreshing from what the last 8 years of "What, me worry" Alfred e Newman like NEVER accepting blame and guilt or admit a mistake theme that Former Pres Bush had going.

Of course, I'm sure your results will vary. But that's me. I like it. Not a lot of apologizing, but at least Pres. Obama knows where the buck stops. Damn refreshing.

Bush didn't admit he made any mistakes till his 7th year,and shure as hell wouldn't dare apologize!idontknow.gifObama is not that fucking stupid,or in to deep denial crap and he's just starting his 14th day in office!!party0030.gif God Damm Refreshing!!tchin-tchin.gifstonedsmilie.gif

Bush had Cookies disabled.

JB, I read most of your links, but some, like the soaw one you just posted on Trashs gov't thread contain so much bull shit, lies and misinformation that I get exhausted even thinking of argueing it. So better I let you think that the lil green men are living under your porch rather than try and argue you out of it.

:wave:

I didn't ask wether you read my links so please consider some remedial reading classes. I said that you keep accusing me of rarely supporting my posts with outside references when in fact you chose to never respond to my posts containing references.

AS to your latest sleight of hand, regarding a different thread, I posted a story above to which you didn't answer even though it supports much of what I have been repeating in this forum. You are a either a troll or your bad faith has immeasurable depth, sir.

Has anyone noticed how Bill likes to say I don't provide links to support my diatribes, but that he never respond to posts in which I provide links to substantiate my diatribes?

Can we assume at this late date that NO ONE has noticed this except for YOU? hmmmm, even I didn't notice that, in fact did I not just reply to this thread?

I didn't expect anyone else but me to have noticed, which explains why I am pointing it out now. So that next time you again try to come back with your ridiculous cherry-picking of the content of my post, I won't be the only one to notice, and it might just give you some second thoughts.

And no, you didn't address any of the content of the post above that essentially repeats what you unsurprisingly keep dismissing as the "ravings of a mad man". What a surprise, not!

Edited by j_b