More nerdy guitar stuff

kevbone

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a git-nerd myself, and have dabbled in the dark arts of classical/flamenco. It's a lot of work keeping those nails up. But these at least have some practical application.

But some guitar masters of old thought one should learn to play with bare fingers with no nails at first, so it is doable.

This guy smokes. Reminds me of Heitor Villalobos.

Drift:

Anyone here use or have plugged into an Ear Candy cab? Thoughts? I've been beating the shit out of my Marshall VS265 lately and I think I've almost blown it up. I'm thinking JCM800 as a replacement with a 1/2 stack for starters, the 1960AV sounds pretty good, but some of my favorite musicians use Ear Candy cabs. Thoughts in any direction?

My main rig: Epiphone Les Paul==>Boss TU2==>MXR KFK==>MXR Blue Box==>ProCo Rat2==>Boss MT2==>MXR Phase 90

Guitar wankery list just for Kevbone:

GW: 50 Greatest Guitar Solos

This one's actually really interesting with stories behind the recording of the solos like the emotions involved and spontaneous vs. written and rehearsed. Lots of recording technique and gear tips.

Choada: I like the Vintage 30-JCM800 combination. What sound are you going for? I'm an all tube fan because they are simple and sound great.

Who said anything about no liking Neil? I just dont think he is know for having great guitar solo's.

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin. You gotta be kidding me. You ID yourself with guitar, and make this statement? Ahem. Sorry to jump on the wagon, but at times, yes, you do just that: "don't think." OK, don't think, but at least LISTEN. :kisss:

Hot For Teacher :nurd:

Not horrible, but not worthy of being on a best of list. You seem to be so into guitar, but you fail to mention a lot of great guitar players. You've probably never heard of them.

Going through my albums (yes albums) Here's a Few.

Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

Phil Manzanera - Primitive Guitar, Diamond Head

Adrian Belew - Twang Bar King, Lone Rhino (and newer King Crimson)

Steve Hackett - Defector

Steve Howe - Anything by Yes

Most of these folks played with a a number of bands. They just happened to put out some solo stuff.

BTW Neil does a number of great solos. Maybe not the fast metal crap you seem to be into.

Just to make you happy lets talk about the Scorps. Amusing stuff from high school no doubt, but come on.

[video:youtube]rB8HudfbaTE

Now here is good guitar

[video:youtube]gIeerZFSIEE

Feck.

I post a video of steve via and you think that is all I listen too? Have you not see all the flamenco/latin/jazz posts of mine?

Music is sooooo subjective.

I do have a Pantera love that will never go away.

I have heard of most of the people you listed above. And enjoy there music.

Post it Sobo.

Take your hand and place it on the little rounded plastic thingy with the long tail coming out of it (it's called a mouse) sitting next to you, and move it around to cause the little arrow thingy to move up into that rectangular box thingy (that's called an address bar) at the top of your screen (that's the TV-looking-thingy in front of you). Once your little arrow thingy is in that box thingy, type these letters (using the keyboard thingy with all of those pretty letters and stuff sitting in front of you): w - w - w - . - g - o - o - g - l - e - . - c - o - m and then move your little arrow thingy over to the little icon (that's a symbol thingy) that looks like a couple of green arrows chasing each other, or whatever else your particular operating system's platform may use for the "Enter" action.

Then, if you wait just a little bit, this really really cool website thingy called "Google" will come up on your screen (that's the TV-looking-thingy again). This really really cool website thingy called Google will also have a rectangular box thingy (it's another address bar - imagine that!), right in the middle of your TV-looking-thingy. Now, use that keyboard thingy again to type in these letters: o - t - t - m - a - r - - l - i - e - b - e - r - t and do that "Enter" thingy again.

Wait a little bit again, and you will see all sorts of different places (called websites, again) where you can go and find videos (those are like, short movies) to look at of this Ottmar guy playing this guitar thingy that you are so wrapped up in.

Good luck, let me know if you have any trouble figuring this out, m'kay? :wave: