Obama actually did it

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that there were any restrictions at all, and they were substantial, should be at the very least embarrassing.

Why? There are many people who view morality apart from religion but still see a danger in proceeding down a path to save one human life at the expense of an innocent and sentient being. Bush's decision to not allow taxpayer funding of stem cell research--while not pursuing a ban on private research--struck a fair balance, IMO. It seems to me the argument is similar to the one wherein some view the data gained during nazi medical research as poisoned fruit and some view it as valid and useful despite the source. I honestly don't know the answer to either question, but to portray those who follow a valid and reasoned morality as evil is just plain obnoxious.

I wonder, if Rove and Cheney etc. had not run the country into such desperate times whether or not Obama would have been able to get elected. Even though I think he has exactly what the USA needs.

What was the old joke the only way a black man would ever become president is if the U.S. was broke!

$10,618,718,703,374.78 debt as of 1-18-09 not counting the total Bush bailout of $750 Billion!

The fact that there were any restrictions at all, and they were substantial, should be at the very least embarrassing.

Why? There are many people who view morality apart from religion but still see a danger in proceeding down a path to save one human life at the expense of an innocent and sentient being. Bush's decision to not allow taxpayer funding of stem cell research--while not pursuing a ban on private research--struck a fair balance, IMO.

How do you explain supporting war then? That uses innocent lives as well as the majority of our tax money.

Why? There are many people who view morality apart from religion but still see a danger in proceeding down a path to save one human life at the expense of an innocent and sentient being. Bush's decision to not allow taxpayer funding of stem cell research--while not pursuing a ban on private research--struck a fair balance, IMO.

How do you explain supporting war then? That uses innocent lives as well as the majority of our tax money.

The fetuses from which stem cells are harvested are extras that are not implanted in the in vitro fertilization process. Many eggs are fertilized to produce a viable fetus for implantation (obviously). These fetuses, many of which are not viable, are discarded anyway. They go into the trash not matter what...there is no 'innocent life spent' or whatever. Why not save lives with them, or would that make too much sense? Or is in vitro fertilization itself somehow morally wrong?

Edited by tvashtarkatena

The fetuses from which stem cells are harvested are extras that are not implanted in the in vitro fertilization process. Many eggs are fertilized to produce a viable fetus for implantation (obviously). These fetuses, many of which are not viable, are discarded anyway. They go into the trash not matter what...there is no 'innocent life spent' or whatever. Why not save lives with them, or would that make too much sense? Or is in vitro fertilization itself somehow morally wrong?

Personally, I consider life to begin at implantation, so I have no problem with invitro or stem cell research. Hell, even oral contraceptives don't prevent fertilization and I'm sure good with their use. My point is that there are others--not all of them religious--who have another valid point of view and that our previous president's decision was probably less idealistic and more considered than Obama's recent pen strokes on the matter.

Edited by Fairweather

I still don't get your point.

You called the lack of public funding under the Bush Administration embarrassing--and I disagree. The private sector can handle certain border morality issues more effectively and with less debate than the fed. BTW; are MalCon and Jim your personal shit gnats? We're on the verge of a real conversation here. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fairweather