Climber falls on Hood!

pc313

Helicopter picked up climber that fell 200feet today!

090117_hood_rescue4.jpg

The guy in the red circle flew by me head frist on his back after tripping at the PEARLY GATES a good 600 feet at speeds of 35-40mph. missing us by 6 feet with his mouth wide open and no sound comming out,i think he shit his pants,he didn't even try to self arrest! My climbing partner and i were halfway down when baseball size ice rained down on us,i ducked,my partner looked up and seen him do a superman after catching his gaitor with a crampon! We check him out,he had banged up his knee but could still walk!

600_fall_hood.jpg

may-2004

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn PC! I'd of probably shit my pants after a dude like that almost trundled me and took me out! What were you thinking? I would think that's just a bad time to start learning self-arrest - when you're on your back like a turtle shooting off a mountain!

This fella looks like he got whacked by some icefall and then fell as a result of that.

-story-

"A 45-year-old Portland man injured by falling ice and a long fall was plucked off Mount Hood Saturday afternoon.

Michael R. Leming was recovering at Oregon Health and Science University Hospital after being airlifted at about 3:48 p.m. off the 10,000-foot level of the mountain by a U.S. Army National Guard 1042 rescue Blackhawk helicopter. Leming was in stable condition with injuries to his ankles and shoulder.

Clackamas County sheriff’s search and rescue team reported that at about 10:21 a.m. Leming apparently was hit by “a shower of falling ice” in the Pearly Gates area, and he fell about 200 feet.

Leming, a member of the Portland Mountain Rescue, was ascending the mountain with two other experienced climbers at the time of the accident. All members of this climbing party are well equipped and experienced climbers. One of his climbing companions used a cell phone to call emergency dispatchers, who rallied rescuers.

With extra good fortune, other Portland Mountain Rescue members were also on the mountain today participating in a training exercise. They were summoned to the site and contributed to the rescue. "

Damn PC! I'd of probably shit my pants after a dude like that almost trundled me and took me out! What were you thinking? I would think that's just a bad time to start learning self-arrest - when you're on your back like a turtle shooting off a mountain!

Well that morning my partner and i were frist on the summit by 15 mins.then the guy who fell and his partner showed up followed by one more two men team,and the climber who fell looked spun and was roped up and the last 600' was hard ice with 3-4 inch finger ice and alot of 2-4inch ice cubes all that would rain down if touched so we decended after the last team to summit to clear the chute before them and get on the hogs back ridge,my partner was arguing with my about travesing to the ridge and after another 50' down it started raining ice cubes and i yelled get the fuck on the ridge so he traverses over to me and then the big shit rained down and he was looking up when the guy supermaned and thought about grabing him(wrong)but jump out of the way! :eek:

The guys partner had unroped :tup: it was knocking the ice loose and was smart to do so,for the ice was to hard to sink your ice axe in at the Pearly Gates and he would have been yanked off,nobody yelled falling and the guy knew how to self arrest but froze up, his backpack and ski poles finally dug in and stopped him,i was pissed :anger: and as we checked him out i gave him a safety talk about holding up when you have people exposed below,i'm a safety nut but was happy he was able to walk/limp to the chair lift!

My partner doesn't argue with me as much :argue: and now rides me about free climbing bad shit! :/

Oh i'm glad to hear Leming's is O.K. i got knocked off my feet by 45+ gust and rolled 40' in Dec. 10,600' on Adams solo climb,the 3rd swing of the ice axe held,brused my hip and limped off the ridge at 3am back to camp :anger: i was the only one on the South Cimb!

THE ZOO?

2PM Feb 2006 from my tent,we did are summit at sunrise and were sleeping in my tent before packing out,most of these people were still go up in 50+deg.WTF :noway: I count 20 on the hogsback and 6 on the left ridge?

DSCF2003-1.jpg

Is it not curious to anyone else that a PMR member did not self arrest in 200 feet?

Not really. Bad things can happen, even to experienced folk. Read a few entries in any issue of ANAM if you doubt me. And what's to say that this guy was experienced (which is what it seems you are attempting to imply because of his association with PMR)? So he's a member of PMR. So what? How much experience does he have? Mountain rescue units recruit all kinds of folks. You don't how much experience Leming has unless you know him, right?

While the guy wasn't on skis, I once carved a few turns starting at the bottom of the Pearly Gates over a particualry icy President's Day many years ago. I caught an edge on the 3rd turn, and failed to correct it. I then failed to arrest with my improvised whippets. I blew out of both skis, lost both poles, and ended up almost level with the saddle in the Hogsback after my "yard sale" down the mountain. That's probably at least a 500-vertical foot tumble. So no, I'm not curious as to why this PMR guy fell that far. I outdistanced him a good 2:1!! :)

THANKS FOR THIS EXCELLENT PICTURE OF THE MOUNTAIN. YOUR PARTNERS FALL IS PART OF RISK OF MOUNTAINEERING THAT TAX PAYERS MUST BEAR. YOU CAN EASILY CREATE A SIGNAL FOR PASSING PLANES TO INITIATE RESCUE. YOU CAN ALSO ARRANGE THE ROCKS SO AS TO HUNKER DOWN AND AWAIT ADVISEMENT FROM THE AUTHORITIES AS TO PROCEED. I QUESTION IF YOUR PARTY WAS QUALIFIED TO BE ON THE MOUNTAIN, AS CLEARLY THE STRANGE HIKING METHOD EMPLOYED BY YOUR PARTNER ON THE MOUNTAIN IS QUESTIONABLE IF NOT DANGEROUS AND MAY PUT OTHER CLIMBERS OR TAX PAYERS AT RISK.

PERHAPS YOU HAVE SEEN THIS EXCELLENT MUSIC VIDEO BEFORE:

[video:youtube]oHg5SJYRHA0

IT FEATURES RICK ASHLEY PERFORMING "NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP", AND HAS BECOME AN INTERNET PHENOM AS PEOPLE GET "RICK ROLLED", WHICH SOUNDS VERY MUCH LIKE WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR CLIMBING PARTNER ON THE MOUNTAIN. YOU ARE LUCKY TO BE ALIVE.

He was wearing his IPOD but it was all rap crap,and Limp Bizkit,ICP,Lincoln Park...I was so glad when the battery died in the tent,hay maybe i should email him some "RICK ROLL"? :lmao:

But he's a lunatic on a Mountain Bike(no brakes needed)i've seen him clear 3' stump's and never seen him crash and burn!

Edited by pc313