Bush admin. admits to torture at Gitmo

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One person who had been read a transition memorandum on the subject said that the memo described the new administration as favoring federal court prosecution and stated that military commissions would remain in place during a review process if legal teams conclude that there are unforeseen difficulties in continuing prosecutions in existing American courts."

Sounds like Obama wants to leave himself some wiggle room on this issue. :laf:

Obama's no doubt finding out just how deep a hole the Bush admininstration dug for him regarding Gitmo. Now that the head of Military Commissions admitted to torture and rejected the prosecution of its recipients, there are probably no convictions to be had amongst any of the Gitmo detainees (after all, they were most likely all tortured); leaving the possibility of having to free people with substantial terrorism evidence stacked against them.

Yeah, it's going to take some time to unravel that ratfuck.

Obama's no doubt finding out just how deep a hole the Bush admininstration dug for him regarding Gitmo. Now that the head of Military Commissions admitted to torture and rejected the prosecution of its recipients, there are probably no convictions to be had amongst any of the Gitmo detainees (after all, they were most likely all tortured); leaving the possibility of having to free people with substantial terrorism evidence stacked against them.

Yeah, it's going to take some time to unravel that ratfuck.

Do you really think Obama is dumb enough to release this one? I don't.

15ksm-650.jpg

Seriously. I don't think the American public will care much about the other detainees, but even Obama doesn't possess enough political or populist capital to set Khalid Sheikh Mohammed free. He would be impeached. What do you think he'll do?

The American people did not vote for a maverick, they voted for change.

Looks like they got neither.

what are you dorks speculating about? they hasn't said they are LETTING PEOPLE GO. they have just temporarily halted the tribunals. they are going to be making decisions about how they handle these people. there are some they WANT to let go right now, and Bush didn't want to deal with their country of origin...so they weren't sure were to release them (Yemen for ex.)

The most recent comments were speculation in response to TTK's assertion:

Now that the head of Military Commissions admitted to torture and rejected the prosecution of its recipients, there are probably no convictions to be had amongst any of the Gitmo detainees (after all, they were most likely all tortured); leaving the possibility of having to free people with substantial terrorism evidence stacked against them.

well I somehow doubt TTK is a part of Obama's cabinent, nor is he an expert legal scholar.

might as well argue about "Y" symbols in the snow

I'm not only in Obama's cabinet; I'm into his Cheezits. From my vantage point here in the kitchen, a common hang out for the kind of back room talk that gits 'er dun in Washington, I'm privy to the most critical legal debates of the day, not the least of which right now is about Gitmo.

I realize that this kind of straight from the mind shaft information is difficult for your Rachel Ray palettes to handle, but that's what I'm here for. That's why they...er...I was sent here.

Edited by tvashtarkatena