Joe The Plumber: American Dumbass

prole

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when was the belief in something the sole criteria for basis in truth? As in, "well, that's just what I believe". I see this everywhere now. It provides the ability for anyone anywhere to discount or denounce anything that doesn't jibe with their belief system in spite of any evidence to the contrary no matter how compelling. This turn from rationality towards blind subjectivity and "know-nothingism" is more frightening to me than any other ideological challenge we face. It lies at the heart of bigotry, chauvinist nationalism, and religious zealotry. Anybody with a philosophy background that can shed light here?

Since when was the belief in something the sole criteria for basis in truth? As in, "well, that's just what I believe". I see this everywhere now. It provides the ability for anyone anywhere to discount or denounce anything that doesn't jibe with their belief system in spite of any evidence to the contrary no matter how compelling. This turn from rationality towards blind subjectivity and "know-nothingism" is more frightening to me than any other ideological challenge we face. It lies at the heart of bigotry, chauvinist nationalism, and religious zealotry. Anybody with a philosophy background that can shed light here?

There have always been stupid people, it's just that now it's more acceptable for them to be stupid in public.

Reagoniass was the "Philosopher of the Republic" extrordinaire long before your days son.

He was the original "thinker" in contemporary republican philosophia.

It was Reagoniass who founded the great principles of the movement such as "The unemployed don't work because they don't want to." and "there is nothing wrong with the economy".

He had an uncanny knack for cutting to the core of the issue as seen from far away.

His statements were made with a flair and pannashe that carried the day.

There was no need for facts.

It was a simpler time.

A time when dumbasses could walk with their heads held high in public places.

A time when they could even become Supreme Court Justices.

A time in which Ann Rande would have felt plagerized.

But alass, it was not to last.

For the evil empires of science and democracy barked and nipped at his heels like jackals in the night.

His memory did not fade for a long time and even still holds a high place in circles of the ignorant and rich.

Would that they all could have stayed that way.

Kind of scary how Obama has used the power of government to try to shut down a private citizen with an opinion. And he's not even in office yet.
Almost as scary as detaining people without charge indefinitely. Or, disregarding our constitution on things like eavesdropping on US citizens... Sure wish I could take back my original vote for W 8 years ago.

At another time in history, this was called Romanticism, which occurred in response to the Enlightenment values of rationalism, scientific realism, and empiricism. And yeah, nationalistic at its core.

The German expression: Sturm und Drang

But what Joe the Plumber currently represents is very mediocre in contrast.

Kind of scary how Obama has used the power of government to try to shut down a private citizen with an opinion. And he's not even in office yet.

Kind of scary how Palin thinks liberal media reports of her negative campaigning somehow infringe upon her first amendment speech rights.

So much for your new Reagan. :moondance:

At another time in history, this was called Romanticism, which occurred in response to the Enlightenment values of rationalism, scientific realism, and empiricism. And yeah, nationalistic at its core.

The German expression: Sturm und Drang

But what Joe the Plumber currently represents is very mediocre in contrast.

Good call. Thnx.

Didn't those Republican Watergate burglars pose as plumbers to get in?

Then we got Joe the plumber who espouses the republican mantra of facts and science are bogus. How are we gonna get richer offa this?

Now we have Fairweather the plumber. After several years of being told we are "unpatriotic" for not supporting the war in Iraq by our president, after our vice president publicly identified the whistle blower in the Abu Garub scandal (in effect, tried to get him killed), After that same VP outed a CIA operative and got her most if not all of her former contacts killed, NOW, NOW, Fairweather the plumber wants us to condemn Obama for publically disagreeing with Joe the plumber.

I have to ask you Fairweather, what is Joe the Plumber losing here? What is he at risk of by Obobma disagreeing with him?