Washington Climbers

AlpineMonkey

When somebody establishes a new rock route and puts a nice write-up and topo on the Web, it can immediately become popular.

Or it can go years with no repeats. :rolleyes: If publishing a topo on the web was all it took to make a route popular I can think of plenty of routes that ought to have dozens of ascents by now but have never been done twice.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t post TR’s.

I trust you reciprocate and don't read TR's and use their beta either, or do you just use what the site offers without contributing? If this forum represents so few climbers, surely telling stories from your outings will have little impact on your privacy in the Cascades. I think you should post some trip reports, people who use the site consistently declare TR's the best thing we do, and you could help make this a better website.

I’m sorry, I must have missed that part of the RULES. What are you, the undercover TR cop? Truth be told I have offered up descriptions of routes and climbs I’ve done to those inquiring. I have contributed to the forum in many ways, but if I’m going to be judged for it then you can blow!

Who cares what the AAJ thinks, this place is a climbing mecca. And I think use is increasing. I see a lot more climbers everywhere I go, just look at Index for instance. At the UW rock there's just as many new climbers as there ever was if not more, and their all just as psyched. in a dozen years we've gone from a single one story gym to two multistory with more members than ever. Hell we originated the climbing gym.

This place has a better variation of different types of climbing than anywhere in the states. For example, multi-pitch rock, alpine rock, BIG relief glaciated mountains like Rainier/Stuart/Slesse, mixed alpine, waterfall ice(if not here then nearby) and quite a bit of volume of each. It is also more central to more nearby(driving distance) world class areas than anywhere else, for example Yosemite, Squamish, and Canadian Rockies.

Sure most of the FA plums have been picked but that doesn't really affect the majority of climbers. And there is still huge things being done from the average climbers perspective, like Mox and the traverses. Plenty of stuff to challenge the average climber for a lifetime. Who cares about all the hype, there's PLENTY of good stuff here to do.

It also has just about the best scenery and remoteness for the lower 48, places like Lake Serene, WA pass, Cascade pass, the Pickets.

And there have been quite a few big guns based out of here, Like Andy DeKlerk, Steve Swenson, Jon Krakauer, Greg Child, Ed Viesturs, Colin Haley, just to name a few.

Hey AAJ, this place SUCKS, so just STAY the HELL AWAY, we don't need you crowding our crappy climbs.

More people, less people, whatever, I'm gonna keep getting after it as long as I am able. If the way trails become harder to follow thats fine, if they get more well defined I'll go faster. Its nice to have a whole cirque to yourself and fun to bump into others. I'm sure those of us with great love for the mountains and high places will always be a minority of the general populace and our ranks will swell and recede due to the whims of the day. The core will always be there, plus those who simply wish to be extreme or in style. As other "extreme" activities become more popular we will lose those people and never miss them.

I'm sorry for the “blow” comment OW, but c'mon man... face value? You added your own views to my comments, then jabbed at me, hence my attitude adjusted. My point was that not only do forums represent a small fraction of the climbing populous, but also not all forum members even post to the TR's. I should have been more clear to that point I guess. There was no intended implication of pride in my post. You put that there. I simply don't want to share my climbing experiences on the internet.

The best thing about not writing TRs is that when you climb something and don't tell anyone about it and then years later someone does climb it and write about it, you can be all like "Oh yeah, I climbed that years ago. N00b!" Because of course, it wasn't good enough to even mention at the time and only becomes important enough when you can deflate someone else's experience.

I used to write lots of TRs here and on my web site. In recent years I got mixed feelings about it, realizing that the climbs I liked the best were the ones with minimal beta. So maybe I was hurting other people's chances for adventure.

But in the end, I realize that pretty much everybody I've climbed with found me through my TRs. And I couldn't imagine what I'd have ever accomplished without those people. So...I write TRs. Mostly at summitpost. I actually get out almost as much as I used to, and it's still just climbing for me. I'm a "dead-ender," you might say.

I agree with the late Ira Spring, that the mountains need young people to get excited about them, and that finally results in greater protection. I think I've inspired more people than I've pissed off, so that's okay. But don't think I'm patting myself on the back for anything. I've received enough stinging criticism from people I respect to ever truly rest easy about posting TRs online.

Back to the original post, look at the incredible amount of first ascents in the last few years you've had. Maybe backcountry use is down, but to me it looks like the Cascade climbing community is more alive than ever.

I'm sorry for the “blow” comment OW, but c'mon man... face value? You added your own views to my comments, then jabbed at me, hence my attitude adjusted. My point was that not only do forums represent a small fraction of the climbing populous, but also not all forum members even post to the TR's. I should have been more clear to that point I guess. There was no intended implication of pride in my post. You put that there. I simply don't want to share my climbing experiences on the internet.

No worries, I'm not offended, you shouldn't be either. I'd like to hear some stories from you; that's not an insult. I did poke at you, but not very hard and not with the pointy end of the stick. Please think of it more as campfire banter than having your knuckles rapped by a nun. I see your point, and I agree it would be a mistake to think this site or the TR's on it represent NW climbers as a whole.