New to glaciers/mountaineering...

canyondweller

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming this is not a troll, I would say that you may want to choose easier routes for your first time up Rainier, especially if you are new to Mountaineering. Routes like the Disappointment Cleaver or Emmons Glacier are probably more appropriate. Later in the season an obvious boot path is established making it fairly easy to not get lost. Of course wanding the route help ensure you can get back down in case of poor visibility.

...would Ptarmigan, Liberty, or Curtis Ridge be good for a first time up Rainier? I think it would be cool to be able to see downtown Seattle on the climb. Being ridge climbs, I figured that it would be a lot harder to get lost, too.

Thx for any input...

if you are not an experienced climber, have never been up a 14K peak, etc., then no, not a good idea.

for the expedition get the biggest car camping tent you can find. assemble the biggest team legal to climb together on the mountain. spend 3 days ferrying gear up to camp muir, with intermediate camps along the way. fix ropes all the way from camp muir to the summit rim. be sure to run around shouting at the team at camp muir like a good alpha dog. everyone sleeps in the big tent and eats only their rations. the summit team should be determined from the strongest climbers. be sure to dispense advice to anyone who happens by.

yes... this mountain would generally be considered impossible in pure alpine style... seige tactics and fixed ropes MUST be used... make sure to constantly test your climbers mental state using flash cards and other such means... camp muir is no place to get HAPE ... I would highly reccommend hiring guided to fix your rope so that you can simply clip in with your handy dandy jumar....