Bolts at Index

kevbone

Seems no one is addressing this, maybe because they are embarrassed about there local crag .I climbed a couple of climbs at Index this last weekend. First….the climbing is outstanding. But I did notice protectable cracks that have bolts for pro instead of using cams/nuts. What is up with this? Is this an acceptable kind of route setting for Index? I was under the illusion that Index was this great world class climbing crag with years of tradition.

Cunning Runt was a super great climb with half of it bolted right next to super good cracks.

Since I have only climbed a handful of climbs there…..my question is……is this consistent with a lot of the other climbs there?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Kind of sets a bad standard."

Its a crag man. If you wanna be a hard ass there is some really butt puckering shit about a mile away.

What ever dude...I could care less and I am gonna clip em....just wanted to know if Index is or is going to be known for bolted cracks?

oh fuck kevbone quit fucking trolling. who cares. i can't think of anything that i could climb that's bolted crack. but whatever. there are a few that sure the fuck doesn't mean i'm showing up w/a set of draws, a gri gri and a fancy "personal anchor" sold at REI for 29.95.

Firstly, I think Index is far from a bastion of old-school trad climbing purity. However, it is unbelievably good spot for climbing, and most of the routes seem bolted (or unbolted) appropriately. However, there are several bolted cracks at index. Angorro Grotto, for example.

Blocks and flakes like those on Cunning Stunt have a tendency to be a bit dangerous with cams behind them on that wall. (Or so I've been told by folks who know more about this stuff than I do.)

Routes at "The country" like Frank Presley, Kite Flying blind, Climax Control, and Tunnel Vision all seem as though they could be lead safely with fewer bolts and gear in places. Perhaps their bolting was the result of wanting to just climb with a rack of QDs and not have to taken along 3 -5 pieces of gear for an (otherwise) sport climb.

Next time check out 'zoom'... another .10d near cunning stunt with bolts where you need them, and no bolts where gear can be had. I'd personally like it if some of the other routes at "The Country" were like this. However, I should probably become more familiar with the ability of flakes and cracks on those nearby routes to safely hold gear before getting too worked up. The main section of the LTW has more unbolted crack climbs, and less sport climbing.

Thanks for your unspray response.

Minx....screw off.

i wuv you too kevin.

i'll luv you even more if you never start another bolt v. trad thread of any sort. there are plenty of these. including plenty about index.

no, no, i've only hired eurotrash with proper visas. more expensive but worth it. the interest on visas can kill ya though. climbing was just too hard for me. when i realized i could pay someone to do it for me, it really opened up the possibilities.

.... But I did notice protectable cracks that have bolts for pro instead of using cams/nuts. What is up with this?

Cunning Runt was a super great climb with half of it bolted right next to super good cracks.

There's plenty more! Take a look, for example, at "Numbah 10" on the Lower Town Wall...

Today's Lesson:

wuss.gif

Definition: 1) one who bolts cracks; 2) one who rap-bolts.

Thanks for your unspray response.

Minx....screw off.

i wuv you too kevin.

i'll luv you even more if you never start another bolt v. trad thread of any sort. there are plenty of these. including plenty about index.

Imagine...if you DON'T start enough of those threads, she might garner enough affection for you to allow you to buy her a beer...supervised of course.