Climbing Ruined My Life

Dwayner

Ahoy, Crag-Monkeys!

Anybody lose their wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend because of your excessive devotion to mountaineering? I knew a few characters who started climbing well into their marriages, and it caused great distress. Too much new competition for time, money, plus new friends, danger-stress and so forth. The result: divorce, ultimatums, broken hearts, etc.

Now if you're going to respond to this, the following do not count:

a) you are by nature a jackass and the climbing was just an excuse to get rid of your miserable butt;

b) your wife or whatever was a pain in the rear and you took up climbing to get the heck out of town once in awhile.

The dissolution has to be the direct result of your climbing habits.

Also, I've known some folks who have used the "I'm so dedicated to climbing that no one understands me" line to try to get sympathy from girls in bars. Gag!!!!! If I was a girl, I would get some free drinks, run and hide. On the other hand, there is the case of John Shaft: "no one understands him BUT his woman." ("They say that Shaft is one bad motha..." Shut yo mouth! "Jus talking about Shaft!)

aloha, Dwayner, lookin' for a new topic.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By your title I gather it ruined your life as well? Is there a story there somewhere? Does your significant other climb? Can it be done? Climbing/loving and live happily ever after? I have seen it, although some say they wouldn't want to climb with their significant (hearing only from male friends), that it adds tension in some form or another and limits their true drive and ability. I would have no other as a mate, than one with whom to enjoy all the adventures that lay waiting in the mountains.

My wife hates when I climb. I have three young children and anytime I plan a trip its a harsh reminder. I have toned down the risk I take and confine myself to moderates as a compromise. Life is full of compromises that is the secret to a sucessfull marriage. There have been several times when she asked me to give it up all together. I have considered it for harmony sake, however as with most of us it is something we enjoy tremendously that the benefits far outweigh the risks. If it did mean my marriage I would of course chose to stay married and be a father to my kids. I have managed all these years to keep the peace but at times its been hard. So I try to have my cake and eat it, it means I climb much less then I want to and be willing to walk away from it completely if I have to.

Nope. Climbing hasn't ruined my life, yet. I was already a climbing fanatic when I met my wife. Dated her for five years before getting married, all the while climbing like a maniac. Got married and was involved in the guiding business for some time while in graduate school and continued to climb thereafter. 21 years later, nothin's changed other than I don't do unroped solo climbs near my limit anymore since our little feller came into our lives 8 years ago. And I wear a helmet more often for the same reason. And I don't go on really long (e.g. 3 months) trips anymore (and that's because I don't want to.) And I might not get out quite as much because I'm trying to make the $$$ although I try to climb or doing something adventurous at least once a week. And the spousal unit? She kicks my butt out the door sometimes and tells me to get out and go climbing because I get dang frustrated if I don't. But I know that such is not always the case and might not be the norm. 'got newly-married friends who are getting the pressure to quit their beloved sport...stay home, mow the lawn, paint the trim and get the BBQ fired up...yah! well I do all of those things AND go climbing!!! So what wid dat???

I must be luckey as hell. My fiance IS my regular climbing partner. She carries her half of gear, does her half of the work, leads her share of the pitches, and cleans the pieces that I get stuck byond all hope. And best of all dosen't bitch about it being too hot, too cold, too hard, too far, or taking too long. Not anymore than I do anyways. On the other hand, she is off guiding rivers right now while I am stuck in spokane for the summer.

It's all good.

Shorty

Ed,

Frankly I am sick and tired of your games Peter. So get your dickneck ass on someoone else's tip. I dont like you. Got it!

Feel free to email me with any threats and invites for your ass kickin'. mailto:rayborbon@hotmail.com

Fuck off SpecialEd

[This message has been edited by Cpt.Caveman (edited 07-16-2001).]

Hey Specialed,

First of all, don't start talkin' about Caveman's boyfriend. We all know that Dwayner gets really pissed off whenever someone brings up his name.

If you are with me on this tagteam thing, we have got alot of work ahead of us. Take a look at our competition for a second...

In one corner you have Mr. Dwayner, the old schooler who learned to climb back when it was still dangerous, back when they weaved their own ropes out of hemp. He has a special knack for finding any excuse to spew pointless bullshit about all the dangerous stuff he has done in his lifetime, and how much Mickey's he drinks. Well, I suppose his point is that no one should do dangerous stuff unless they are as skilled as he is, or else they will die. Oh Yeah, he is also outraged that all the new route development these days is being done with a drill, cause when he was in his prime he had to suffer with a hammer and chisel. Wach out for his temper, and his elequent yet condesending use of words. Don't let him fool ya, those dentures are really freakin' sharp. We need to get them away from him before he eats us alive.

In the other corner we have Cpt. Caveman, and he is fuckin pissed at you... Either we get pissed back, or he is going to smash us with his big burly club. Watch out, Cavey has a special talent for digging up tons of useless garbage off the internet and posting it on this site. He knows how to get pictures into these threads which puts us at a huge disadvantage. The shit he pulls up is sometimes pretty funny, so we can't let him win the crowds support. I think our best tactic is to hit 'um below the belt where it really hurts. And don't give him time to do another Google search. We can't let him be funny here, this is SERIOUS! We allready got him flamin' mad, so hopefully he will slip up.

We can get these guys, just keep your eye out for Pope, if he comes rushin in then we are screwed. Tell Strickland that we may need him if these guys decide to triple team us. Fuck the Trad-Klan, well take 'um all down!!

Are you with me Ed, if so let the battle comence. And if not thats OK cause I can take these two pussies on myself. It wont be the first time...

[This message has been edited by lambone (edited 07-17-2001).]

Old Caveman can dish it out but can't take it. Obviously he's overly-sensitive to any threats to his "manhood". Maybe there's something he's hiding? He obviously tries so hard to live up to the testosterone-fueled redneck GI stereotype, that its not a challenge to push his buttons. He flies off the handle quicker than one of his redneck buddies who misplaced his Bassmaster 2000.

Lambone, we don't need to tag-team against poor Caveman, he makes a fool out of himself without us having to put any effort into it. As far as Dwayner goes, I'm content sitting back and listening to his incoherent ramblings about hemp rope and 2 x 4s for pro, and mickey's wide mouth - I think its quite amusing actually.

Peter Hirst I will be happy to drop your ass.

I have plainly stepped aside from the bashing recently because I dont know you. But you insisted to fucking make this a little game for yourself. This is the second time you keep instigating shit and then acting like I am the one flying off the handle.

Listen closely here==> I am normally a friendly person. But you are a dickneck that I am gonna smash when I meet you! No problems with Lammy just you!....... I am a hostile mother fucker when provoked and you have pissed me off. Later and I hope you have a good doctor.

[This message has been edited by Cpt.Caveman (edited 07-17-2001).]

Shalom, my friends! So much violent talk! Where's the old aloha spirit? And keep me out of your psycho fantasy wrestling scenarios. I ain't interested in tussling with Mr. Caveman or any of my other righteous climbin' bru-thas. And as for incoherent babbling? There's more where that's coming from, especially if you're buying the next pitcher! If I can get my walker fixed I'll see if I's can shuffle downstairs to see if the Extreme Games are on TV yet...or is that in August! Dang! Better wait for the mailman to show up with my latest issue of Rock and Ice...it's the highlight of my month!!!

- Dwayner

(P.S. My walker? It's made from several 90cm WWII mountain division ice axes tied together with old hemp - learned how to do it from my other geezer age-mates in their early 40's - John Long, Lynn Hill and such - likewise way over the hill and seeking attention from anyone who will listen...bllbllblbl...Hey you kids....don't do anything dangerous...watch out for them dangling chock picks...they can snag ya in the gonads...just ask me! Way back in 1997....)

El Capitan: my post was just a response to your post the other day about me being "limp wristed", etc. I didn't take it seriously or personally as I am secure in my masculinity. I just don't get it that when I give you a little good natured chiding in return, you fly off the handle and go balistic and violently threaten me. That's where I'm coming from. Gimme a break anyway, what are you gunna do reach through my computer screen and choke me?

So Caveman, you can sure dish it out but can't quite take it huh? I see no reason to get so upset online. Another case of road rage on the information superhighway I guess.

Until you cool down a bit, I suggest you do not make any additional posts unless they are either funny or interesting.

Yossarian, provoking conflict since 1942