I'm done

billcoe

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbed with your buddy KS today at Beacon and he already had a fork stuck in him too. Said you guys were get'n er done yesterday...

Yeah, good dude for sure, he must have been toast today. Hope you got some mileage in or out of him, I was sorry to have bogged out on him today, but just too beat.

I woke up at 3am Friday night, crawled out of my sleeping bag to a light rain and had both legs on my inside thighs cramp up severely. Trying to pee with legs cramping as you stumble around in the dark: hmmm, it's a classic memory that's for sure! :grin: Then we again worked the thighs all that day wandering hither and thither. They are still sore now - but the family and I did a short hike up to Hardy Falls with minimal pack weight to work out the kinks today and then I fell asleep like an old man in the easy chair right after dinner.

Great day for Beacon!

Climbed with your buddy KS today at Beacon and he already had a fork stuck in him too. Said you guys were get'n er done yesterday...

Yeah, good dude for sure, he must have been toast today. Hope you got some mileage in or out of him, I was sorry to have bogged out on him today, but just too beat.

I woke up at 3am Friday night, crawled out of my sleeping bag to a light rain and had both legs on my inside thighs cramp up severely. Trying to pee with legs cramping as you stumble around in the dark: hmmm, it's a classic memory that's for sure! :grin: Then we again worked the thighs all that day wandering hither and thither. They are still sore now - but the family and I did a short hike up to Hardy Falls with minimal pack weight to work out the kinks today and then I fell asleep like an old man in the easy chair right after dinner.

Great day for Beacon!

Buy yourself some electrolyte pills for your cramps and STFU already. Jebus. Another fucking clueless sporto.

Buy yourself some electrolyte pills for your cramps and STFU already. Jebus. Another fucking clueless sporto.

What pills or brand do you recommend? I was drinking Acceleraid on the weekeend, and I'm taking a Calcium-Magnesium supplement on occasion called Calm, but forgot to bring it.

You are better off keeping it to drinks with an osmolarity <350. If you have it any more than that you run the risk of actually losing water to your gut due to osmosis. I like to use the Army ORS packets diluted a bunch. They taste like shit but they are cheap and they have everything you need and none of that cheap ass sugar with just adds to the osmolotic gradient.

What pills or brand do you recommend? I was drinking Acceleraid on the weekeend, and I'm taking a Calcium-Magnesium supplement on occasion called Calm, but forgot to bring it.

Endurolytes work well; available at bike shops or on line. Take 1 or 2 per hour during rigorous activity in warmer weather. If you cramp up, take 2; the cramps will be gone within 10 minutes. I prefer pills to the drinks because they're way less hassle, you can always carry them, you don't have to put up with funky tasting shit, and I like to manage water and electrolyte intake separately.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

hey scott actually has a good bit of advice there. you can dilute any of the "sports" drinks down. pick one that works for you.

i get really bad charlie horses from time to time. gotta start the electrolytes well ahead of time i find. if i wait until after a hard day then it can be too late

I like to manage water and electrolyte intake separately.

In extreme instances, this can be bad. You can actually dehydrate youself significantly doing this. If you are well hydrated and just simply hyponatremic or lacking other vitamins and minderals, this is fine. If you are dehydrated, this can make it much much worse.

This is because water is drawn to the vitamins and minerals wherever they are (osmosis). If you put a high concentration of these things insode your GI tract, you can actually draw the water out of the cells and 3rd spaces and dehydrate yourself even more.

I like to manage water and electrolyte intake separately.

In extreme instances, this can be bad. You can actually dehydrate youself significantly doing this. If you are well hydrated and just simply hyponatremic or lacking other vitamins and minderals, this is fine. If you are dehydrated, this can make it much much worse.

This is because water is drawn to the vitamins and minerals wherever they are (osmosis). If you put a high concentration of these things insode your GI tract, you can actually draw the water out of the cells and 3rd spaces and dehydrate yourself even more.

I don't allow myself to get dehydrated, so I don't worry about it.

If the osmolarity is higher than your interstitial fluid it will draw water out of your tissue and hold it in your gut. A pill most certainly has an outrageous osmolatity and will definitely draw water out. Enough to kill you? probably not (unless you are dehydrated) enough to sap your performance? Certainly possible. Just throwing it out there. This is the reason that we not longer use salt pills anymore. The people who need them are the ones who would be hurt by them most.