roto-hammer question

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just borrow Johns! :lmao:

(Sorry but Lil Dawg is fully engaged!) Not anywhere near this clean anymore, although he's been slacking big time - having only put in 3 protection bolts (one later removed) in 10-11 new routes. To his credit, he's done some anchor work as well.

Lil_Dawg1.jpg

How long till Dwayner and Pope show up raging like angry, toothless, banjo-picking, narrow minded Nazi bumpkins? I propose an office pool. I have the 3:30pm today slot.

hitler_army_baby_pic.JPG

BTW, I wasn't going to post here but John called me out. Sorry. BTW, Lil' Dawg rules, but damn is it heavy. If you want to go hiking in the backwoods with him, after you've tossed in a bunch of gear and ropes, food, water, hammers, hardware, blah blah: it's ugly, real ugly.

john and bill: how many 3" 3/8th holes you think you'd get in granite per battery with a fresh bit with your 36 volt lith ions?

i'm thinking of getting the te 2a simply because i don't see myself doing a bunch of bolting, and i found a new one for cheap.

hilti guy thinks the 24 volt nicad battery will drill maybe 10 to 15 holes per charge with the above parameters, and the 36 v lith ion almost double; any truth to that?

I bought me 24 volt Bosch on Ebay for $300 used. It has never failed me. Both batteries are used but seem to work well. As far as the holes drilled goes. If I have a new bit and a fresh battery I have been able to drill 10 3/8 holes. I use a 6 inch bit and usually burry the bit. It also depends on if you have good leverage to drill. If you are standing on a ledge and can press against the rock the drill will burry the bit in 30 – 45 seconds. Or if you are hanging on your rope in space and only have your arm to pull yourself in and drill…..it can take 10 minutes to drill…..you end up wasting your battery.

i'm thinking of getting the te 2a simply because i don't see myself doing a bunch of bolting, and i found a new one for cheap.

Thats a good thing, and certainly worth considering. Frankly, when I bought the Lil Dawg, I thought I would have drilled at least a hundred holes by now. Reality, however......sigh....So I can't speak to doing repetitive holes at all. Sorry to say.

hilti guy thinks the 24 volt nicad battery will drill maybe 10 to 15 holes per charge with the above parameters, and the 36 v lith ion almost double; any truth to that?

I confess ignorance to that, however, from everything I've seen, the Lit-Ion are less environmentally ugly, and they last longer before they totally die.

I have a Hilti TE4 (I think that's the number). I paid $260 for one in good shape with an extra battery and a few bits.

I bought it used and had the owner charge it so we could test it. I brought over a granite stone and we drilled 11 3/8" 5 inch deep holes before the battery went into protection mode halfway through the 12th. That's about the same as what I'd been getting when borrowing Alex's hilti when his battery was working. If the battery is crappy you get fewer holes. If the bit is old you get fewer holes.

I'd echo what Bill says: if you don't expect to drill a lot of holes just borrow someone else's drill and buy them some bits and bolts and hangers, which also cost $$$. If you're in Seattle and want access to one send me a pm.