When doing something is worse than doing nothing

Fairweather

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would support a requirement for the installation of solar panels covering the roofs of any new big box stores, strip malls, and condos.

you'd support that with what basis?

what exactly would be the cost and benefit of this? would it even put a dent in our energy consumption? our dependence on oil?

when the fuck are you going to admit for once that this administration was wrong on pretty much all the major topics- including energy policies?

Yeah, I would admit to most of that no problem at all. The jury is out on a few of the "major topics", not on energy though. They screwed the Pooch big on energy did nothing. The supply and demand curve only has one side for them, needing to increase the supply. Unfortunately, Clinton did exactly the same thing for the previous 8 years...NOTHING. Bill had pitched a .50 cent a gallon sliding scale tax increase a gallon with the money going to reinvest into renewables. It was a great plan and all of us would have benefited by lower consumption and the resulting investment. The squealing on both side of the asile was so loud that it was immediately withdrawn and then....THE NOTHING.

So we all get to pay now.

i don't think clinton was at the office for the past 7 years- right? so what the hell are you talking about? the price at the pump is just a part of the issue. big part of this has to do with the exchange rate.

supply and demand is also another bullshit. the demand on oil did not increase 100% in the past 2 or 3 years. face it- dollar is turning into a third word currency. this country is one step from bankruptcy. all time high budget deficit and high inflation rate.

don't think you can blame clinton for that. when he left the office the budget was balanced, the debt was being paid off, social security was on track and dollar was super strong.

I would support a requirement for the installation of solar panels covering the roofs of any new big box stores, strip malls, and condos.

you'd support that with what basis?

what exactly would be the cost and benefit of this? would it even put a dent in our energy consumption? our dependence on oil?

after 9/11 the answer of the administration to the oil dependence was to put a flag on your V10 ford F350- bought as a tax brake! now that's creative thinking! fucking genius!

When did it become wrong to support biofuels? 'Yes' verses 'No'on biofuels is a simpleton's soundbite fest that would fit right in a campaign commercial.

Biofuels clearly must be part of a sustainable energy future. Duh.

The problem is not 'biofuels'. The problem is how biofuels are produced.

Brazil has a sustainable sugar cane biofuels program (with deforestation being the cost). Being in a temperate zone, we don't have the solar energy for such a solution. Our corn based biofuels program is raping the topsoil and water table. That won't work. We need to develop either an algae based (promising, but very expensive infrastructure) solution, and/or a cellulose based solution that uses drought hardy nitrogen fixing crops like hemp or woody plants that require little to no inputs.

I also hear a lot of 'conservation is not a plan' coming from the conservative crowd. This is a code word for 'we don't want to lift a finger to change'. America has not yet begun to conserve. IMO, this is THE KEY element of any energy plan. We could burn far less (and I'm talking in the tens of percentages) energy and live essentially just as comfortable and satisfying life as we do now. In some ways, with an increased amount of community sharing, our lives would be socially richer.

Example: I've stayed in off the grid homes in California and Washington. They had a TV, a computer, lights, heat; every modern convenience. They used no public energy.

Now, one home used a lot of wood, and other mini hydro power, but even without those systems, they used about 30% of the energy of a standard modern home with no loss of quality of life.

Example: with minimal investment, my home now burns 25% of the average energy use of a home/family like mine in my area. I don't have solar water heating or photovoltaics or my own wind farm.

Example: Ever been to Phoenix, LA, or Vegas ? Why arent' those entire city solar powered? There isn't any solar power to be seen, anywhere. It seems that requiring new construction to include at least passive solar in those areas would result in huge savings.

I haven't even touched upon the obvious savings from transportation. Now there's an area where we haven't even scratched the surface.

I'm guessing that anyone here could cut their household's energy usage by a third with no decrease in quality of life (and probably some increases). I'm guessing that America could do the same.

As for the side issue of eating beef; that's simple. Eat grass locally raised grass fed beef. Sustainable, environmentally friendly (we need to maintain healthy grasslands for a variety of reasons), healthy, low transporation costs, and you can buy it directly from the farmer, saving you money and increasing their profits.

So tomorrow morning, have a big bowl of rough cut oatmeal and a 20 oz grassfed porterhouse, and turn your fucking furnace off. It's June already!

Enjoy.

When did it become wrong to support biofuels? 'Yes' verses 'No'on biofuels is a simpleton's soundbite fest that would fit right in a campaign commercial.

Biofuels clearly must be part of a sustainable energy future. Duh.

The problem is not 'biofuels'. The problem is how biofuels are produced.

Brazil has a sustainable sugar cane biofuels program (with deforestation being the cost). Being in a temperate zone, we don't have the solar energy for such a solution. Our corn based biofuels program is raping the topsoil and water table. That won't work. We need to develop either an algae based (promising, but very expensive infrastructure) solution, and/or a cellulose based solution that uses drought hardy nitrogen fixing crops like hemp or woody plants that require little to no inputs.

I also hear a lot of 'conservation is not a plan' coming from the conservative crowd. This is a code word for 'we don't want to lift a finger to change'. America has not yet begun to conserve. IMO, this is THE KEY element of any energy plan. We could burn far less (and I'm talking in the tens of percentages) energy and live essentially just as comfortable and satisfying life as we do now. In some ways, with an increased amount of community sharing, our lives would be socially richer.

Example: I've stayed in off the grid homes in California and Washington. They had a TV, a computer, lights, heat; every modern convenience. They used no public energy.

Now, one home used a lot of wood, and other mini hydro power, but even without those systems, they used about 30% of the energy of a standard modern home with no loss of quality of life.

Example: with minimal investment, my home now burns 25% of the average energy use of a home/family like mine in my area. I don't have solar water heating or photovoltaics or my own wind farm.

Example: Ever been to Phoenix, LA, or Vegas ? Why arent' those entire city solar powered? There isn't any solar power to be seen, anywhere. It seems that requiring new construction to include at least passive solar in those areas would result in huge savings.

I haven't even touched upon the obvious savings from transportation. Now there's an area where we haven't even scratched the surface.

I'm guessing that anyone here could cut their household's energy usage by a third with no decrease in quality of life (and probably some increases). I'm guessing that America could do the same.

As for the side issue of eating beef; that's simple. Eat grass locally raised grass fed beef. Sustainable, environmentally friendly (we need to maintain healthy grasslands for a variety of reasons), healthy, low transporation costs, and you can buy it directly from the farmer, saving you money and increasing their profits.

So tomorrow morning, have a big bowl of rough cut oatmeal and a 20 oz grassfed porterhouse, and turn your fucking furnace off. It's June already!

Enjoy.

how 'bout gettin' fat people to quit eating so much?? hint

KK plan is only to toss some shit around and blindly follow the one righteus ideology. old commie habits die hard.

The right = commie? You're a stupid fuck.

No, you didn't get it. He meant that you've got fialty to Big Idea, failed ideologies in your blood. You simply have switched it from Big Government is Good to Big Government is Bad. Both are simple, bite size world views for a complicated universe. And what's interesting is how loyally you tow the line for the Biggest Government We've Ever Had. At least Glassgowkiss displays a distrust of all government; but most particularly our obviously criminal one. That seems to be a much healthier, realistic world view. He's actually more of a true conservative than you are.

And he's right on the money about you, but it's not your fault. Blame the sheep-like babushka's who spawned you.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

KK plan is only to toss some shit around and blindly follow the one righteus ideology. old commie habits die hard.

No, you didn't get it. He meant that you've got fialty to Big Idea, failed ideologies in your blood. He's right on the money about that, but it's not your fault. Blame the sheep-like babushka's who spawned you.

you have no idea what you're talking about - as usual. you don't fucking know me personally, so quit pretending that you do.

I have no desire to engage in conversations with you, get it, you fat ass, tit-toting loser? In real life, you'd never say this shit to me, trust me. Now, FOAD. MKTHXBY.

So the plan according to the title of the thread is "leave well enough alone/more of the same/utilize even more dangerous technologies overseen by people we claim to be incompetent and corrupt"? Please provide evidence to the contrary.

When that fails talk about man-titties, commies, and the terrerisms.

Edited by prole

No, you didn't get it. He meant that you've got fialty to Big Idea, failed ideologies in your blood. You simply have switched it from Big Government is Good to Big Government is Bad. Both are simple, bite size world views for a complicated universe.

He's right on the money, but it's not your fault. Blame the sheep-like babushka's who spawned you.

:lmao:

right on. but personal remarks aside this administration made this country weaker, allow russia to rebuilt their military and economy and gave them green light to finish genocide in Chechnya (as part of the "war on terror"). so in fact by supporting bush and rice he is supporting resurrection of (defacto) USSR2.

In real life, you'd never say this shit to me, trust me. Now, FOAD. MKTHXBY.

Heh heh. You apparently don't know me very well.

Plus, I guess you'll never find out, cuz' you're the only poster here who's too chickenshit to meet me in person.

...when invited by a neutral third party, I might add.

In this way, perhaps the only way, you are unique.