MontBell Bag experience?

Blake

Looking for a ~1 pound bag. Must be down. Plan on using it with a belay jacket in the summer. Not interested in anything much more than 1 pound.

Looks like either the

Montbell UL Alpine Down Hugger #5

REG.jpg

Western Mountaineering HiLite

or

Feathered Friends Vireo

I think they are all probably top-notch, but couldn't find any reviews or experience with the first one. I'd appreciate hearing from users of these (or comparable) bags.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blake - I've got a WM Hilite, and the synthetic version of the MB - #7 ~ 50 degrees. I think the WM is a bit lighter that the MB down offering, but it's also cut fairly narrow (I've got broad shoulders), so not much room to move, and the stretchiness of the MB is really nice considering you are in an already close-cut bag. Also while I've not snagged/torn either, the shell fabric on the MB seems a bit more resilient, at least based on the touch test. I think you could see both of them at Jim Nelson's shop, and he'd have a more educated opinion.

Edited by ericb

I've got 2 Montbells - both are the UL Stretch and not the alpine. For the weight, I'd prefer the extra space of the stretch. As far as quality, I've been happy with both bags. I've used the 40 degree bag quite a bit and the 15 degree only a few times. A few zipper snags on the 40 but the zipper guard on the 15 is stiffer so haven't had any problems with it. They both seem relatively durable and (for me) accurate for the ratings.

Blake -- I've had a Hilite for five or six years now... in general, I'm pretty happy with the bag. I'll agree with ericb -- the WM is pretty narrow, so if you toss and turn and flail your arms you may not like it very much. The fabric is VERY delicate -- I've had some down poke out of it, and I've got a couple of small holes in it.

Blake,

I've got a demo HighLite you're welcome to take out for a spin sometime. I think ericb sums it up well. If you like the fit of the HighLite you'll probably like the bag. If not the MontBell Super Stretch is a great system. Western also has the Caribou but it's not 16 oz. I find the way the shoulder and hood closes on the HighLite to be a bit more restrictive than other Western bags of the same shoulder girth (59") like the SummerLite for example. Just a bit.

We also have some interesting down bags from Macpac. Waterproof/breathable seam taped shell fabric, and I think the Epic 150 (note: not Epic fabric you might know) weighs just over 1 lb. Sky and a few others have used my demo. The others (WM, MB) seem to be warmer but not waterproof either.

:tdown: on the FF vireo. Tried it on several summer alpine climbs in the summer, and I still managaged to get cold, and I'm usually a pretty warm sleeper....

I guess half-bags just don't work for me. Given the same weight, I'd go with a full bag so I could suppliment with the puffy for the colder nights. Otherwise, half-bag + puffy and you have nothing extra for when the temps drop.

YMMV

I also have the FF Vireo. Mine is not a half bag. It is a full bag with no hood but will snug up around by neck no problem even at 6'1". Also worth noting that the majority of the fill is @ or below the waist. The upper is made to layer with a hooded parka of some sort. Gives you an option for more or less insulation on top. I generally use mine with a Patagonia Puff Hoody. Gives me two pieces that are about the size of a one liter water bottle stuffed. Yep, the Vario easily stuffs to slightly smaller than a 1L water bottle.

It is a tight bag and you need to carry a jacket if you want to sleep warm at freezing or lower. I've used the system in Canada in winter...works short term but just barely. The Vario by itself works for Rainier in summer if you are willing to sleep in your shell gear.

The Vario is a 1# bag plus what ever your belay jacket weight is for a total bag weight. When your pack is loaded two small packages are easily stored and ignored.

I'd rather sleep more comfortably most of the time but the light weight and small package made the Vario a bag worth having imo.

I have a montbell bag and I think it is that model (#5). It is super, a fairly tight fit but I am chubby. I like the full length zip and I think some of the WM bags are only halfzip? MUCH warmer than I expected, packs to slightly larger than a nalgene. My MB doesn't have a draft collar or yoke around the shoulders, which for me is a negative, cause I don't like cinching the hood too tight but I need warm shoulders to sleep. I don't think it will survive frequent stuffing and unstuffing. I haven't been worried about snagging or tearing the fabric. I have a few different Montbell items now and I think the quality is great and they are good value. I think they are probably not the best choice as workhorse every-weekend pieces unless you are down with replacing them every few seasons.

After a few very uncomfortable experiences with wet down bags in the Cascades, I decided to go synthetic with a Mountain Hardware Ultralamina +32 bag. I am very satisfied. It's extremely compressible to a little larger than a Nerf football and weighs 2lb 2oz. I like the zipper system as it allows you to easily control temps by folding down the front in warm weather rather than trying unzip the side and bend it back. With some warm clothes I'm sure I could take it down to 15-20 degrees easily. I am not a "cold sleeper", though.

1176751.jpg

Edited by mneagle

I've had the WM highlight for years now and it's still going strong. i really like the bag overall and it's accompanied me a lot of places in a lot of different conditions. with that said it's a bit tight in the shoulders for me. whenever i end up destroying the wm i think i will take a serious look at those mont-bell bags. the stretch just seems like it would be very comfortable, esp. for a roller-sleeper like myself.