New type of trailhead theft

Don_Chicho

As a heads up, there was a report from a climbing party that when up at Silverstar last weekend, thieves burglarized a van, but not for the van itself or the contents inside, but for the catalytic converter and tailpipe/muffler assembly (sawed clean off). These were vehicles parked at Washington Pass along Hwy 20 for the approach to Silverstar. Now there is yet ANOTHER thing to worry about when parking at the trailheads.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, $30 or so in meth money per converter. Mostly a problem for SUVs and trucks as it is too much hassle to get under a car. Some converters in B'ham have been ripped in the mall parking lot.

Oh, and don't forget those aluminum rims. They're pretty quick to steal too whether for the metal or for resale on Craigslist.

Edited by Recycled

this is a well-known issue among toyota tacoma 4wd truck owners. I've already had mine replaced once after someone sawed out mine. Fun times.

For example:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20060410/ai_n16143183

Be sure to get your replacement welded on really well, though in my case, they just sawed it out.

I think the new standard in tweaker-deterrent practice will be a move in the other direction - quick-release clips and stashable, weather-proof cases built to look like logs...

Incidentally - what'd it cost to replace the cc on your truck?

It was about $230, and the guy was pretty sympathetic. He said it was the 6th toyota he had done in the past few weeks. Since the stock cat on the old tacomas is a bolt-on, it's really easy to drive up along side it and get in there with a wrench. The guy welded on my new one, but obviously that won't stop someone with a sawzall, which is what was used to remove mine. At least it made my 4-cylinder tacoma sound like a harley for a brief period of time, but it's probably pretty dangerous to drive around with unfiltered hot exhaust dumping out directly under the cab, with the gas line, my lungs, and whatnot nearby.

Mine was stolen from a park'n'ride in Vancouver, WA. Not super busy, but definitely public and visible.

I wonder what the total cost of meth is on the pnw community.

It was about $230, and the guy was pretty sympathetic. He said it was the 6th toyota he had done in the past few weeks. Since the stock cat on the old tacomas is a bolt-on, it's really easy to drive up along side it and get in there with a wrench. The guy welded on my new one, but obviously that won't stop someone with a sawzall, which is what was used to remove mine. At least it made my 4-cylinder tacoma sound like a harley for a brief period of time, but it's probably pretty dangerous to drive around with unfiltered hot exhaust dumping out directly under the cab, with the gas line, my lungs, and whatnot nearby.

Mine was stolen from a park'n'ride in Vancouver, WA. Not super busy, but definitely public and visible.

I wonder what the total cost of meth is on the pnw community.

I'd be willing to chip in for something like the NW Forest Pass, with the proceeds going to a pool dedicated to providing enough meth to tweakers to keep their collective fiendage beneath the catalytic-converter-scavenging threshold.

Maybe you could work some kind of geocaching riff into the distribution to keep them occupied a bit longer, and introduce a healthy outdoor twist on the typical tweaker lifestyle...

I still can't believe there are people who think like that.

http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugIssue/MethResources/faces/index.html

Man thats slightly disturbing...only because over the last 7 years of working and living on the East side of Tacoma, I have seen regulars in my neighborhood deteriorate just like that. Fekking sad and nasty at the same time. :noway:

The Department of Justice reported that at year-end 2003, federal prisons held a total of 158,426 inmates, of whom 86,972 (55%) were drug offenders. By comparison in 2000 federal prisons held 131,739 total inmates of whom 74,276 (56%)were drug offenders, and in 1995 federal prisons held a total of 88,658 inmates of whom 52,782 (60%) were drug offenders.

Source: Harrison, Paige M. &Allen J. Beck, P hD, US Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Prisoners in 2005 (Washington, DC: US Department of Justice,

November 2006), p. 10, Table 14.

The drug war reflects a political arrogance that the government can solve bad habits by passing laws and sending police out on the streets to arrest the way to an improved society. The collateral damage of this arrogance is clear. It is time to end the drug war, to seek education, treatment, product labeling and testing, and a more orderly yet much less profitable market for the measure of drug usage, which society cannot stem or prevent, with or without force.

www.drug-war.us