Has anyone ever take a significant

RuMR

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now is not the time to jeopardize your job. When you are ready to come back, the market may not be very welcoming.

Funny you should say that A...that is one of the things keeping me from squeezing the trigger...the other one is this damn "guilt" shit...everytime i get serious about it, i read about food shortages, talk to a bum, blah blah blah...

seriously, my company would take me back...its an awesome company, my fellow staff absolutely rock, my boss is really solid and respectable, the projects are world class...i'm just siiiiiick of it...i feel so bad about not liking it anymore...

this is why i haven't bothered to look at other firms...i don't think i can beat this one...or my job...i just don't want do it anymore...

Dude sounds like you are in a perfect situation to take a sabatical. At the very least the time taken can be enjoyed spending more time with the kids, getting some climbing in and assessing if this job/career that you have is something you want to keep.

When I first moved to Seattle I wasn't to sure if I wanted to stay in the same career, and gave myself plenty of time find out if it was something I wanted to continue doing or not. At this time in my life it was after a divorce and I needed some serious recharging of the batteries. I moved to Seattle with no job prospects. In the end I decided to keep the same career and enjoyed 7 months of bliss and settling into the Seattle area. Towards the end I was eager to get back to work mainly because my arms and shoulders were so damn tired from all the climbing I was doing, but I also found that I had a renewed interest in my work.

Basically life is a ride, you better enjoying the ride just in case you don't make it to your destination.

Sounds like your employer might be understanding, I would at least approach them to see if they would accepting of unpaid leave, especially since you are contemplating it. There reaction will give you indication whether or not that would be feasible. An other option to consider is to talk to them about going part time for a period of time, it might be all you need is to take a little time for yourself every week. I know every week I have my time I always have to take where I am free from work and family. If I don't take that I don't make a good employee, husband or father.

My company lets me take all the time off I want unpaid; paid I get 3 weeks and I usually take all three in one lump. Taking a day here, a day there just doesn't get you out of the work "head space". A large block of time is what you need to shake off the shackles.

In the 7 years I have been with my current employer I have taken at least a month off every year. When I am in the office I am working like a dog though--its that light of vacation at the end of the tunnel that keeps me going. I do enjoy my work though.

You need a goal.

My advice would be to do it, just plan it out so you're not stuck financially when you get back. I took off 3 months back when I was 35 or so to go climb in Patagonia with a buddy who worked at the same place. We just went into the boss and made our pitch. They new we would just quit if they said no and they would have lost our skills.

Now that I'm 51 I'm planning on taking 4 months off in a year and I'm not going to ask for time of I'm just going to tell them I'm going. If they want me back, that's great, if not I'm getting recruited regularly anyway.

I've also managed to take off either 3 wks in a row or a month each of the last 5 years with some careful planning and some catchup time before and after.

If you're thinking hard about it you should do it - it will give you a much needed rest and fresh perspective. Work is a good thing for may reasons, but you can get worn down even by a job you really like. Good luck.