Has anyone ever take a significant

RuMR

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You definately NEED a vacation. Or sabbattical. Or whatever you want to call it.

When you are old and feeble and look back at your life you will wish you had taken more time off. Both for play and to play with your kids.

Ask any old fart who is too old to climb and their kids live as far away as possible.

I quit my job once for two years and had a great time. Spent lots of time in the backcountry and lived in Australia for a while. Spent all my money. Came right back two years later to a better job with higher pay.

Go figure.

My best friend from college is currently on a leave from her job as a VP at big blue. She took off two years to hang out with her kids now ages 12 and 10. She's going back in a few months and figuring out what kind of job she wants to take. It hasn't hurt her at all, plus all of her stock options kept vesting while she was gone and the stock went up so she's in a very good spot.

She really needed the break from the pressure, stress and travel and, being off, has enabled her to make some decisions about priorities and what she wants from her career. Something she couldn't do when in the midst of working all the time.

Let me know if you want to talk to her.

Everything I've read says statistics show that taking a maternity leave for that long does indeed harm your overall career. I guess it would be hard to prove to yourself though b/c you really don't know what opportunities may have opened up for you while you were gone. Nor do you know the long-term impact until you get there.

But maybe all that is changing now. I doubt it though.

Career is worth less than enjoying life so it shouldnt even be a question, you can wait your entire life for the "right" time or you can just do it!

Im taking 6 weeks this summer and I've got pretty cush job..not having time for me is not worth anything else!! Work will always be available its work when is there not work to do?

Brian-

Was it a job she really wanted back?

Rudy-

If you don't really care if you get this job back, go ahead and go. If you do want it back, perhaps you should get something in writing. Maybe even have it reviewed by/consult with an attorney that specializes in employment law... I'm just sayin', look what happened to Dryad...

personal leave of abscence or a sabbatical??

Thoughts?

Repercussions to one's careers??

Yes. 4-8 weeks does something different to you mentally than 1 week of vacation. A good mental.

Only go if you are in the know about your company and the economy.