Whats in your arsenal?

billcoe

Ruger Black Hawk 44 Magnum (In case I need to put a slug through an engine block or a big ol mean grissle bar)...

Funny story: I had one of those almost 30 years ago, as a young lad fresh out of high school, back in my Dirty Harry days... The first time I took it out to shoot it, I struck a "Go ahead... Make my day" pose, complete with the hoarse whisper and Clint Squint. Pointing the weapon at the intended target with but a single hand, at arms length, a la Clint, I let fly with a slug. Goddamned thing whollopped me with the hammer. Left a big dent in the middle of my forehead that took weeks to heal. :laf:

After that experieince, I always kept both hands on the wheel...

Before I was born, my dad used to carry the 44 Mag in his old Volvo, with the holster belt slung around the steering column. He originally bought the gun as a just in case side arm for his extended fishing trips out in the remote bush country of Alaska. Anyway, as he tells it, one day the family was cruising along the Hwy, and some young punks started trying to run his car (with my mom, older brother & sis in it) off the road. My dad slowly started pulling the 44 out of the holster and got the long barrel about half way out before the would be ganstas put it in overdrive and high tailed it out of there. I've only shot the thing a handful of times and the thing is a cannon.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny, and basically the same reason why I bought mine. I was driving my very own (dirtbag) Volvo (what a coincidence) on my way to work on the I-610 Loop around Houston one morning in ~1981. Now remember, this was the era of Early Road Rage...

I was attempting to take my exit, when some yuppie in a Beemer tried to force me out of my exit lane as he was merging onto the freeway. Seems he thought he had the right-of-way because he and his BMW were better than me and my dirtbag Volvo. We were basically at loggerheads at 60 mph, flipping each other off. He reached over to his passenger seat and returned his arm to the window, this time with a pistol levelled at me. I locked up my brakes, let him go by, missed my exit, and took the next one.

I arrived at work as pale as a ghost. Stylin' Jim, our old black janitor and Man Friday, informed me of this fact and inquired as to what might have happened to cause such a fright. I told him the story, and he asked, "So what are you gonna do about it?"

"I want a gun. As big a fucking gun as there is. Something like Clint Eastwood would carry." I was just venting my spleen to an old man, and I felt better having boasted about how brave I would have been if I had had a gun to level at that yuppie in the Beemer. That woulda made that bastard piss his pants, yessiree! I thought that was the end of it.

Stylin' Jim called me back to the janitor's closet about two or three days later. He produced from a paper bag the fabled hogleg: the Ruger single-action Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum, with 10-inch barrel, complete with a leather hip belt and holster, just like an 1890s gunslinger would carry. "So ya think this will do for ya, Sonny?"

I was floored! I paid him his asking price of $200 for the whole set. Jim then says to me, "Anything you ever need, you just come to ol' Stylin' Jim. I'll git ya fixed up right." It was then that I realized what Stylin' Jim really did to make his money. He didn't drive that big-ass Coupe De Ville on janitor's wages, that's for damn sure! I ended up buying a whole lotta shit from ol' Stylin' Jim over the next few years... :laf:

Ruger Black Hawk 44 Magnum (In case I need to put a slug through an engine block or a big ol mean grissle bar)...

Funny story: I had one of those almost 30 years ago, as a young lad fresh out of high school, back in my Dirty Harry days... The first time I took it out to shoot it, I struck a "Go ahead... Make my day" pose, complete with the hoarse whisper and Clint Squint. Pointing the weapon at the intended target with but a single hand, at arms length, a la Clint, I let fly with a slug. Goddamned thing whollopped me with the hammer. Left a big dent in the middle of my forehead that took weeks to heal. :laf:

Yeah that doesn't always work.

That's funny, and basically the same reason why I bought mine. I was driving my very own (dirtbag) Volvo (what a coincidence) on my way to work on the I-610 Loop around Houston one morning in ~1981. Now remember, this was the era of Early Road Rage...

I was attempting to take my exit, when some yuppie in a Beemer tried to force me out of my exit lane as he was merging onto the freeway. Seems he thought he had the right-of-way because he and his BMW were better than me and my dirtbag Volvo. We were basically at loggerheads at 60 mph, flipping each other off. He reached over to his passenger seat and returned his arm to the window, this time with a pistol levelled at me. I locked up my brakes, let him go by, missed my exit, and took the next one.

I arrived at work as pale as a ghost. Stylin' Jim, our old black janitor and Man Friday, informed me of this fact and inquired as to what might have happened to cause such a fright. I told him the story, and he asked, "So what are you gonna do about it?"

"I want a gun. As big a fucking gun as there is. Something like Clint Eastwood would carry." I was just venting my spleen to an old man, and I felt better having boasted about how brave I would have been if I had had a gun to level at that yuppie in the Beemer. That woulda made that bastard piss his pants, yessiree! I thought that was the end of it.

Stylin' Jim called me back to the janitor's closet about two or three days later. He produced from a paper bag the fabled hogleg: the Ruger single-action Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum, with 10-inch barrel, complete with a leather hip belt and holster, just like an 1890s gunslinger would carry. "So ya think this will do for ya, Sonny?"

I was floored! I paid him his asking price of $200 for the whole set. Jim then says to me, "Anything you ever need, you just come to ol' Stylin' Jim. I'll git ya fixed up right." It was then that I realized what Stylin' Jim really did to make his money. He didn't drive that big-ass Coupe De Ville on janitor's wages, that's for damn sure! I ended up buying a whole lotta shit from ol' Stylin' Jim over the next few years... :laf:

That is funny, I bet it's worth a lot more than $200 now. I forget what my dad said he paid for his back in the day but it sounds just like the one you describe... Cool western belt holster with all the little pockets for your ammo. I love that gun, might have to go shoot it soon just for fun. I still have lots of reloaded ammo but don't want to waste em as they are pretty spendy now. I don't really hunt anymore but like to go plinking once in a while, hardly a good gun for plinking though.

Another time when I was a little kid in Wyoming my dad used to carry the 44 while we were out deer hunting, I think mainly just because he had it. He's sitting in the woods taking a dump when a buck comes strolling by within range so my old man pops one off from the cannon with his pants still down around his ankles and blows a huge hole in the buck. Good times... Mmm venison...

Yeah that doesn't always work.

Fixed it fer ya...

_uZkvzYEXp0

Nice gun Bill, I got all the guns I need (at the moment), but I did add a new method of delivery of guns and decoys. New%20boat.jpg

Thats a 115 hp yamaha on the stern. Ever been in a 45 mph duckboat in 3 foot seas and completely dry? This one will do it.