Cascade River Road Access

Dan_Miller

Seems a little early to be concerned with such things at this point, and I think that GB is correct that the number of people who own motorized vehicles that would haul them to the mountains to travel to trailheads is vanishingly low.

Having said that, if we're talking about roads that haven't been purposely decommissioned as part of an active plan to manage or expand habitat that'd be one thing. If they were intended for, and would otherwise be actively used by cars if not for lack of funds, that places them in a different category as far as I'm concerned. I've always used bicycles or walked the extra distance before simply because I didn't own a motorcycle, but I'd have no compunction whatsoever about using a motorcycle or something like it in the future.

How would using a motorcycle on an otherwise active road that's been rendered impassible by a washout be any different than using a sled on a road that's been rendered impassible by snowfall? Have you delivered this lecture to the folks that use sleds on forest service roads (where it's legal to do so)in the winter on TAY and other forums? How about the folks that use them to hit-up Strobach, etc on this site?

I personally think that your sensibilities have become a touch too refined if the thought of encountering a motorcycle on a temporarily-out-of-commission road would ruin your entire experience. I've occasionally found myself lugging a pack up roads on foot, on a bike, or on skis - getting passed by someone one a motorcycle, ATV, or sled. When this has happened, my first instinct has been to smile and wave a thumb while they pass, instead of pouting and extending another digit after they've passed. Every so often they've stopped to chat, some have even handed me a beer - but most have just waved and passed on by. When they've go on their way, after about a minute there's no trace of them. No sound, no fumes, no dust. The fact that that any of the above were present for a minute or two has never negatively affected the sublime experience of...walking along the road to the trailhead...one bit.

Thankfully they're your sensibilities and not mine. Hopefully they won't be the legislature's either.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we disagree--I'm not that worried about the occasional annoyance. So maybe it's a non-issue. Time will tell.

I wouldn't have any problem with motorbikes and snowmobiles on approach roads if they were all properly-muffled, had clean-burning engines, and didn't cause any off-road damage.

• 2 weeks later...
how far in is the hike to a reasonable camp for eldorado from the actual trailhead?

several miles and 3500 foot gain if memory serves me. but that's if you camp on snow / leave no trace which should be easy early season.

sweet, sounds like it should be doable from where the road is jacked (mile 12 or so?). probably no chance in hell its gonna be fixed up by the end of this month huh? i'm flying in the 28th.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the NPS's latest on the Cascade River Road as of 05/22/08:

Cascade River Road

(off State Route 20 at mile 106) Partial

Elevation at road's end: 3,600'. Closed at mile 12.7 due to bridge damage caused by avalanche. Temporary repairs (one-lane bridge) expected by June. Additional road repairs at mile 20 and beyond still will need to be fixed. Road currently passable to mile 12.7, small turn-around, no trailers. Leave room for repair crew rigs to pass by. For skiers or bikers, road has patchy snow from mile 14 to ~ mile 20, then solid snow. Lots of downed trees and some avy chutes to cross.

• 2 weeks later...

We went up there on Saturday. The road is now open to MP 19, which is 1 mile from the log crossing for eldorado. The rest of the way is blowdowns and avy debris, which I think would be cleared up soon. Not having to use the bikes that we brought, and the talus field being mostly covered in snow allowed us to tag eldorado in 1 Day. We were slowed a little by having to break trail above 6,100', but no big deal.

Edited by waterboy

We went up there on Saturday. The road is now open to MP 19, which is 1 mile from the log crossing for eldorado. The rest of the way is blowdowns and avy debris, which I think would be cleared up soon. Not having to use the bikes that we brought, and the talus field being mostly covered in snow allowed us to tag eldorado in 1 Day. We were slowed a little by having to break trail above 6,100', but no big deal.

Thanks for breaking trail for us... I figured it was the Mounties we saw that broke trail. Didn't see anyone coming down; did you take eldorado creek down? We got a late start, and summited around 8pm Saturday. Camped out at 7400, just in time for the slush to start falling.

• 2 weeks later...

Current conditions (according to http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/conditions/road_conditions_report.shtml)

Open to MP 20 (Eldorado Trailhead gate), 2.3 miles from Cascade Pass Trailhead. Downed trees, patchy snow, and avalanche chutes beyond. Road crews hope to open road to Cascade Pass Trailhead sometime in July (as of 6/19/08).

Sounds like easy access for mountain bikes. Anyone have more recent information? I was hoping to get up there this weekend.

Here's the latest (07/03/08) from the NOCA NPS website:

Cascade River Road is closed at mile 20 (the Eldorado parking area). Closed at mile 12.75 on Wednesday July 9 and Thursday July 10 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for bridge repair. Check the park conditions page for more details, including all road conditions. Expected to open to Cascade Pass trailhead on July 12.

• 2 weeks later...