Do all climbers like only heavy metal?

mattp

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read this thread yet, but I am guessing you are not that big of a metal fan. ...

Actually, Arch, I like metal. I like a variety of styles, and for several years I shunned rock in favor of jazz because it is more interesting, but I've always had a soft spot for crude and loud rock music that can only be called metal. My heroes? Jimi, of course. I'm 50. And I like freaks: Snakefinger, Zappa, and Sun Ra. Tad is my favorite from the Seattle sound, and I thnk Bad Motorfinger is the best album to come from that scene. I think that fits the "metal" mold. I like Metallica and Rage Against the Machine.

But my post was really more about cc.com: we have lots of talk about metal bands kicking ass, and lots of links to heavy metal videos. I suspect that the average Joe poster, and even the average Joe sprayer, is not so fond of Slayer that they don't listen to anything else. Some of today's posts would support this hypothesis.

Don't get me wrong: I like heavy metal. But I have noticed that out of every 10 links to music videos on cc.com, it seems like 9+ of them are links to heavy metal. Occasionally someone will mention that they like classical music but folk music? When was the last time someone here posted that they admired the singing talents of some female vocalist?

Do climbers exclusively listen to metal?

Are you fuhq'n kiddin' me??

Female vocalists that I enjoy listening to:

Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies)

Sequentia (early music)

Anonymous 4 (early music)

Cambridge Singers (the altos and sopranos)

Kathleen Battle (opera)

Cecelia Bartolli (opera)

Michelle Shocked

Jann Arden

Sarah McLachlan

Loreena McKennitt

Shawn Colvin

Enya, and sister Ma'ire Brennan (Clannad)

The Rankin Family

Shania Twain (and I don't even like country music, but hey, it's Shania...)

Laurie Anderson (performance artist extraordinnaire)

and who could forget Pat Benetar?

Jeebus! I could go on ana on and on and on...

You forgot your absolute fav- Celine. ;)

I was always partial to Joan Jett - dirty skank rocker chick = hot.

Blondie

Haven't read this thread yet, but I am guessing you are not that big of a metal fan. ...

Actually, Arch, I like metal. I like a variety of styles, and for several years I shunned rock in favor of jazz because it is more interesting, but I've always had a soft spot for crude and loud rock music that can only be called metal. My heroes? Jimi, of course. I'm 50. And I like freaks: Snakefinger, Zappa, and Sun Ra. Tad is my favorite from the Seattle sound, and I thnk Bad Motorfinger is the best album to come from that scene. I think that fits the "metal" mold. I like Metallica and Rage Against the Machine.

But my post was really more about cc.com: we have lots of talk about metal bands kicking ass, and lots of links to heavy metal videos. I suspect that the average Joe poster, and even the average Joe sprayer, is not so fond of Slayer that they don't listen to anything else. Some of today's posts would support this hypothesis.

Nobody "likes" metal. It's not like someone says, "Yeah, I was into that Slayer band for that one summer." People who are into metal fucking love it. They feel it in their very souls. And Slayer, Metallica et al is generally their jumping off point. Anyone who only mentions classic thrash bands is a poseur. But hey, to each his own.

And Soundgarden is Grunge. They are not even close to metal. Same with Rage (except they suck).

Oh, and I'll be at the Agalloch concert Friday. Hope to see you ambient metal fans there...

Sorry to fall short of your standards, there Arch. I don't think I'll make the show tomorrow night, but maybe you could suggest some appropriate recordings I should check out. My wife will thank you for it.

For starters:

Judas Priest: Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel

Iron Maiden: the number of the beast, piece of mind, powerslave

Black Sabbath: black sabbath, paranoid, sabbath bloody sabbath heaven and hell

Deep Purple: machine head, perfect strangers

Dio: holy diver

Scorpions: love drive, blackout

Ozzy: blizzard of ozz, diary of a madman

Sammy Hagar: Standing Hampton

Van Halen: VH1, Women and Children First, Fair Warning, 1984, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Anthrax: Fistful of Metal, Among the Living

Megadeth: Peace Sells, but Who's buying?, Rust in Peace

Motorhead: Overkill, Ace of Spades

Metallica: Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets

Sorry, I hate Slayer.

Sorry to fall short of your standards, there Arch. I don't think I'll make the show tomorrow night, but maybe you could suggest some appropriate recordings I should check out. My wife will thank you for it.

For starters:

Judas Priest: Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel

Iron Maiden: the number of the beast, piece of mind, powerslave

Black Sabbath: black sabbath, paranoid, sabbath bloody sabbath heaven and hell

Deep Purple: machine head, perfect strangers

Dio: holy diver

Scorpions: love drive, blackout

Ozzy: blizzard of ozz, diary of a madman

Sammy Hagar: Standing Hampton

Van Halen: VH1, Women and Children First, Fair Warning, 1984, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Anthrax: Fistful of Metal, Among the Living

Megadeth: Peace Sells, but Who's buying?, Rust in Peace

Motorhead: Overkill, Ace of Spades

Metallica: Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets

Sorry, I hate Slayer.

Nice list. You are forgetting my favorite and I believe the best Metallica album. “And Justice for All”

How about something from later than 1990?

Mastodon (kind of prog metal)

Sunn((O)) (ambient)

Killswitch Engage

Hammerfall (they crack me up but I can't listen to an entire album)

Sapthuran (ambient)

Lamb of God

Our bassist is into that stuff. Some of his favourites are:

Death

Cradle of Filth

Iced Earth (operatic metal)

My Dieing Bride

Venom

I had a friend from Hungary who played in a black metal band. He once said something like "You can't play in a black metal band and not burn down churches." I recently discovered that there are bands that call themselves unblack metal: black metal with Christian themes. :lmao:

Some people take themselves too seriously.

I'm listening to Archenemy on Myspace right now :tup:

Nobody "likes" metal. It's not like someone says, "Yeah, I was into that Slayer band for that one summer." People who are into metal fucking love it. They feel it in their very souls. And Slayer, Metallica et al is generally their jumping off point. Anyone who only mentions classic thrash bands is a poseur. But hey, to each his own.

And Soundgarden is Grunge. They are not even close to metal. Same with Rage (except they suck).

Oh, and I'll be at the Agalloch concert Friday. Hope to see you ambient metal fans there...

Word. While it's been a long time since speed metal was on my A list, I still love it. And I can't believe no one has mentioned these guys yet:

AEDbJc_c1CI

How about something from later than 1990?

Mastodon (kind of prog metal)

Sunn((O)) (ambient)

Killswitch Engage

Hammerfall (they crack me up but I can't listen to an entire album)

Sapthuran (ambient)

Lamb of God

Our bassist is into that stuff. Some of his favourites are:

Death

Cradle of Filth

Iced Earth (operatic metal)

My Dieing Bride

Venom

I had a friend from Hungary who played in a black metal band. He once said something like "You can't play in a black metal band and not burn down churches." I recently discovered that there are bands that call themselves unblack metal: black metal with Christian themes. :lmao:

Some people take themselves too seriously.

I'm listening to Archenemy on Myspace right now :tup:

I really like Rammstein - they are are 90's to present:

Herzelied

Sehnsucht

Mutter

are their best by far