Do all climbers like only heavy metal?

mattp

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about something from later than 1990?

Mastodon (kind of prog metal)

Sunn((O)) (ambient)

Killswitch Engage

Hammerfall (they crack me up but I can't listen to an entire album)

Sapthuran (ambient)

Lamb of God

Our bassist is into that stuff. Some of his favourites are:

Death

Cradle of Filth

Iced Earth (operatic metal)

My Dieing Bride

Venom

I had a friend from Hungary who played in a black metal band. He once said something like "You can't play in a black metal band and not burn down churches." I recently discovered that there are bands that call themselves unblack metal: black metal with Christian themes. :lmao:

Some people take themselves too seriously.

I'm listening to Archenemy on Myspace right now :tup:

You and I have the same music collection. Hell, I've seen almost all the bands you listed. (Hammerfall was only interesting because of the dude's hair).

I'm sure you also have:

Emperor

Dimmu Borgir

Massemord (not the new album)

Carpathian Forest (fucking phenomenol)

Immolation

Meshuggah

Naglefar

Machines of Loving Grace

Watain

Mindrot ("Soul" is the best album I have ever heard in my life)

Eyes on Fire (same singer from Mindrot, but music doesn't make you want to commit suicide)

oh, i could go on...

No that's the extent of my metal collection. Like I said, just a casual listener. Our bassist would have all of that stuff.

When he traveled around Europe he basically went from metal fest to metal fest.

It is my dream to one day make it to Wacken in Germany (used to be Denmark, so I'll feel right at home with a bunch of drunken metalheads).

Haven't read this thread yet, but I am guessing you are not that big of a metal fan. ...

Actually, Arch, I like metal. I like a variety of styles, and for several years I shunned rock in favor of jazz because it is more interesting, but I've always had a soft spot for crude and loud rock music that can only be called metal. My heroes? Jimi, of course. I'm 50. And I like freaks: Snakefinger, Zappa, and Sun Ra. Tad is my favorite from the Seattle sound, and I thnk Bad Motorfinger is the best album to come from that scene. I think that fits the "metal" mold. I like Metallica and Rage Against the Machine.

But my post was really more about cc.com: we have lots of talk about metal bands kicking ass, and lots of links to heavy metal videos. I suspect that the average Joe poster, and even the average Joe sprayer, is not so fond of Slayer that they don't listen to anything else. Some of today's posts would support this hypothesis.

Nobody "likes" metal. It's not like someone says, "Yeah, I was into that Slayer band for that one summer." People who are into metal fucking love it. They feel it in their very souls. And Slayer, Metallica et al is generally their jumping off point. Anyone who only mentions classic thrash bands is a poseur. But hey, to each his own.

And Soundgarden is Grunge. They are not even close to metal. Same with Rage (except they suck).

Oh, and I'll be at the Agalloch concert Friday. Hope to see you ambient metal fans there...

I guess that makes me a nobody cause I "like" metal in varied doses. Sometimes a little bit goes a long way, and sometimes I like it more frequently. Don't think I would say I love it in general though.

When I'm gripped on lead, I usually sing the song from the Brady Bunch or Green Acres. Not sure why, but it seems to keep my mind off of a whipper.

Don't get me wrong: I like heavy metal. But I have noticed that out of every 10 links to music videos on cc.com, it seems like 9+ of them are links to heavy metal. Occasionally someone will mention that they like classical music but folk music? When was the last time someone here posted that they admired the singing talents of some female vocalist?

Do climbers exclusively listen to metal?

Mattp I think you got the blinders on, I have heard of a lot of music that is not metal from quite few people here. Also introduced to a lot of music that I was unaware of. I am also always surprised by the variety of music listened to by people here. Definitely the outspoken ones seem to listen to metal, but I don't think it is a majority here cccommie land.

I believe the other day I was talking about Lucinda Williams. Then there ton of good women vocalist out there, PJ Harvey, Michelle Shocked, Jarboe, Bebel Gilberto, Norah Jones (especially when she is teamed with Mike Paton), Goldfrapp, Mazzy Star, Morcheeba, Talk Talk, hell list goes on and on.

So Agalloch was pretty damn good. At the end of their set, the drummer threw his drum head out into the crowd. It came right at my head. I had my hands out to protect my noggin, but one of the people I was with stuck his hand out and caught it. Whew!!

Anyway, one of the opening bands had a chick in it and I thought of you, Mattp ;)