Do all climbers like only heavy metal?

mattp

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stormbringer was one of the first albums I heard as a kid that really got me. DP is a metal band from back in the day!

I wouldn't ever call bands like DP, Van Halen, Areosmith metal, even back in the day. To me it is rock. The time I really like metal and hardcore is at show moshing and stage diving like crazy kid. Now-a-days though the 38 y.o. kid feels it for the next several days after a show. I also really like it when I am FR and DHing, gets the blood flowing, give me a sense of invincibility. For climbing I don't really need that charge, maybe for the drive. What I want to get into a groove, so it is usually trip-hop, hip-hop and electronica for climbing. I guess I use music as a soundtrack to my life. If I feel nolstalgic I break out the art rock and rock. Depressed some good grinding industrial or classical (more on the melancholy side). Happy go lucky, fun in the sun alt-rock. Skiing and snowboarding, electronica and trip-hop. Lazy sundays, alt-country, classical, jazz.

I wouldn't ever call bands like DP, Van Halen, Areosmith metal, even back in the day.

I'm with you there, 4ord, DP, VanHalen and Aerosmith were never "metal" in my book. But Archie schooled me: I clearly don't know metal.

(Of course, if the pop sounds of Pearl Jam are in the same category as the harsh edge of Nivana's Bleach and it is all the same as the more metalic psuche of Soundgarten, the genre of "grunge" is really not useful to describe the music itself so much as the scene it came from.)

Black Sabbath and Deep Purple were really considered metal and are basically the early metal bands, I believe the drummer from DP was the first to use double kick, Led Zep was another earlier Metal band. I never meant to imply that Aerosmith was metal, they are just rock msic and nowadays most of the old metal is considered rock, so basically I like Rock music.

It all started with Jimi.

It seems to me that his contemporaries, Led Zeppelin, really cut the mold for heavy metal.

It's believed the first use of the term "heavy metal" was in an editorial review by a NY writer describing Hendrix's music,"...like heavy metal falling from the sky...".

Black Sabbath and Deep Purple were really considered metal and are basically the early metal bands, I believe the drummer from DP was the first to use double kick, Led Zep was another earlier Metal band. I never meant to imply that Aerosmith was metal, they are just rock msic and nowadays most of the old metal is considered rock, so basically I like Rock music.

Three Words:

Train Kept a'Rollin!

It's believed the first use of the term "heavy metal" was in an editorial review by a NY writer describing Hendrix's music,"...like heavy metal falling from the sky...".

Cool bit of trivia there.

Certainly, they all overlap and musicians borrow bits and pieces from a wide variety of influences, but when I think of Jimi Hendrix I tend to think more about the jamming and the extraordinary sound, both virtuoso and expression, that largely came from one guy. When I think back to Zeppelin I tend to remember more of the head-banging wall of sound and that famous heavy metal wail packaged in a generally tighter sound that (to me) more closely resembles modern heavy metal. That's my own take, anyway.

Pretty strong opinion on JT there, 5K. Why don't you save it, huh?

While I enjoy listening to various outputs of JT, I can't for the life of me describe them as being of the Heavy Metal genre.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Jethro Tull are a Grammy Award winning British rock group that formed in 1967-1968. Their music is marked by the distinctive vocal style and lead flute work of front man Ian Anderson. Initially playing blues rock with an experimental flavour, they have, over the years, incorporated elements of classical, folk and 'ethnic' musics, jazz and art rock.