Long Live Corporate Welfare!

Hugh Conway

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well j_b...it might be that there are some idealists who think that the concept of a freemarket is bullet proof...these people aren't out to "make a buck"...they are true believers (just like some idealists believe that the concept of communism can work). i don't think either people are "evil" or out to crush the will of the people or make a buck at the peoples expense. they just believe in that particular system.

Sure, there are ideologues but I was talking about the financial interests behind the "free market" think tanks responsible for the way the issue is framed by corporate media: "big government", "nanny state", "death tax", "statist", ...

then you have the actual implementers of either system. there are a lot of good people, but in the end both system have boiled up some pretty bad apples. it seems that ugliness has ensued in either case...though one could argue that one system is less ugly than the other.

I am not for one system or the other. I am for a mixed economy. I fully believe that public policy should express the need of most and protect their livelyhood against irresponsable financial practices.

exactly the point there minx ;) you go hard left, then you take a hard right, and you end up in the center! must be a moderate!

that's what makes the linear scale so inadequate.

in reality, moderates don't make hard lefts and hard rights, they make less severe turns here and there, which are only identified as "hard" turns by those on the extreme opposite, kool-aid drinking club

exactly the point there minx ;) you go hard left, then you take a hard right, and you end up in the center! must be a moderate!

that's what makes the linear scale so inadequate.

in reality, moderates don't make hard lefts and hard rights, they make less severe turns here and there, which are only identified as "hard" turns by those on the extreme opposite, kool-aid drinking club

its a per issue world. but if simplifying things down helps you understand it then "what ever floats your boat".

Also, your speculation on my voting record is just that. You have no facts.

I note that you didn't deny it and I recall you as being pretty far to the right.

An independent moderate looks far to the right to someone as far out in left field as yourself.

Yes, I responded to j_b (an extreme leftie) accusations against Tomtom (doubtful he's a right-wing extremist)

You lose.

Also, your speculation on my voting record is just that. You have no facts.

I note that you didn't deny it and I recall you as being pretty far to the right.

An independent moderate looks far to the right to someone as far out in left field as yourself.

Yes, I responded to j_b (an extreme leftie) accusations against Tomtom (doubtful he's a right-wing extremist)

You lose.

lose? yes. i lose for engaging in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. its obvious that you're referring to yourself above. but deny it if you want, i'm going to continue to "lose" and argue that with you ;) enjoy, you are winnar!

lose? yes. i lose for engaging in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. its obvious that you're referring to yourself above. but deny it if you want, i'm going to continue to "lose" and argue that with you ;) enjoy, you are winnar!

Based on the flow of the thread, and the nesting of quotes, it's obvious I was referring to Tomtom. Furthermore, I have told you so. Your denial of your mistake only makes you look like a fool. Congrats for being the spray-jester once again. :wave:

KKK used to be to the right of Attila the Hun, but he may have grown tired of looking bad considering pretty much everything he defended in this forum has turned out to be a bust.

Interesting choice of historical figures, especially considering the more apt analogy would be of j_b as the disenfranchised outsider looking to overthrow the establishment with whatever means are necessary to justify your ends, and yours truly as the "conservative" striving to maintain and justify the status quo (that is Rome).