Gas prices

kevbone

I just saw a list of the "Top 10 Hybrids for 2008". Half of them didn't even hit 30 MPG!!! WTF?

There were cars in the 80's that got 40-60 mpg. Mention that to the car manufacturers and you hear BS like: "manufacturing those will sink the industry, too expensive". i.e. "our strings are pulled by the oil conglomerates".

Anyone check the average weight and horsepower of, say, an '84 Civic vs the 2008 model? There's a trade off between the variables, and the American consumer hasn't chosen fuel efficiency since the end of the last gas crisis. If fuel efficient economobiles sold well - then the auto companies would have been more than happy to make as many as the American consumer cared to by. Your countrymen did the math and made their choices. If anything's to blame, its them.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then again, if everyone were vegetarians, imagine how much more land there would be to grow biofuels.

Just saying.

I believe we should invest in technology/development for a process to efficiently convert bush meat into car fuel. And trucks. I hear there are a lot of trucks in Africa.

Welcome to the world the eco-fascists have in store for you. Dance to their tune like a marionette on a string, or die.

Eco fascists have nothing to do with this, pal. As hard as it is for entitlement whiners like you to get used to it, this is just simple supply and demand at work. Welcome to real personal responsibility.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

You make it sound like I have a choice of cars?

You made the choice about where you live.

Yeah, everyone has 100% choice of where they can afford to live, and where their job is, and when they have to change jobs, they can pick up and relocate just like that. :rolleyes:

All the left wingnuts *pretend* to care about the "working class" when it is convenient for them (i.e. to gain *power*) but the reality is they don't give a shit.

I just saw a list of the "Top 10 Hybrids for 2008". Half of them didn't even hit 30 MPG!!! WTF?

There were cars in the 80's that got 40-60 mpg. Mention that to the car manufacturers and you hear BS like: "manufacturing those will sink the industry, too expensive". i.e. "our strings are pulled by the oil conglomerates".

Anyone check the average weight and horsepower of, say, an '84 Civic vs the 2008 model? There's a trade off between the variables, and the American consumer hasn't chosen fuel efficiency since the end of the last gas crisis. If fuel efficient economobiles sold well - then the auto companies would have been more than happy to make as many as the American consumer cared to by. Your countrymen did the math and made their choices. If anything's to blame, its them.

Yes, I have checked that (2 years ago when I was shopping for a used vehicle). From memory: '93 Honda CRX: 43 mpg average.

You wanted big assed bling mobiles, America, and the auto manufacturers were more than happy to provide them, cuz they bring in higher margins. So don't blame Detroit, or CAFE standards (which you apparently didn't politically support enough). Now you want 'hybrid SUVs', but you'll be blaming Detroit for them, too, when gas hits $5 a gallon. Look in the mirror and kindly STFU.

Yeah, everyone has 100% choice of where they can afford to live, and where their job is, and when they have to change jobs, they can pick up and relocate just like that. :rolleyes:

All the left wingnuts *pretend* to care about the "working class" when it is convenient for them (i.e. to gain *power*) but the reality is they don't give a shit.

If you are a skilled professional or executive you can live most anywhere you want :wave:

Obviously you just didn't work hard enough :wave:

Something to consider: diesels contribute to global warming more than high mileage gasoline cars (Honda civics, etc), despite their slightly better mileage overall, due to very high particulates. Unfortunately, biodiesel, while it produces reduced greenhouse gases, still produces large amounts of these particulates. This is a big problem in Europe, which has switched a large portion of its vehicles to diesel.

This used to be true but is not so anymore. It used to be due to the high sulphur content of diesel but Europe has adopted more stringent emission standards (and the US is right behind). This is also why VW was unable to sell their TDIs in California until recently.

Too bad its not true for china and south america yet.

By the way, my TDI got 47mpg on the highway. I would not call that "slightly" better overall economy. Its better than most hybrids.

If you are a skilled professional or executive you can live most anywhere you want :wave:

I wasn't speaking about myself, dickhead. :wave:

People in the bottom 50% are the ones who'll be fucked, and I'll bet Kevbone is somewhere in that group.

You sound like the "rich Republicans" you so rail against. Congrats, hypocrite! :wave:

You make it sound like I have a choice of cars?

You made the choice about where you live.

The 'working class' are responsible for making sound economic choices, just like the rest of us. And yes, we do have a choice of where we live and work and how many kids we have, etc....certainly no one else makes that choice for us, last time I checked. Coming from a military family, we 'just picked up and moved' every two years...on 400 bucks a month. So STFU, entitled whiner.

Yeah, everyone has 100% choice of where they can afford to live, and where their job is, and when they have to change jobs, they can pick up and relocate just like that.

Thats what makes living in a free country so great..dont whine to me if you made poor descions pumped out some babies and cant afford to live the way you want to or are used to...

Something to consider: diesels contribute to global warming more than high mileage gasoline cars (Honda civics, etc), despite their slightly better mileage overall, due to very high particulates. Unfortunately, biodiesel, while it produces reduced greenhouse gases, still produces large amounts of these particulates. This is a big problem in Europe, which has switched a large portion of its vehicles to diesel.

This used to be true but is not so anymore. It used to be due to the high sulphur content of diesel but Europe has adopted more stringent emission standards (and the US is right behind). This is also why VW was unable to sell their TDIs in California until recently.

Too bad its not true for china and south america yet.

By the way, my TDI got 47mpg on the highway. I would not call that "slightly" better overall economy. Its better than most hybrids.

So the sulphur content produced the particulates? The article I read (no link, can't remember the source, sorry) was relatively recent, last two months or so, after the low sulphur diesel came on line. Not dissaggreeing, just trying to get the story straight on this one.

People in the bottom 50% are the ones who'll be fucked, and I'll bet Kevbone is somewhere in that group.

You sound like the "rich Republicans" you so rail against. Congrats, hypocrite! :wave:

oh, and if everyone actually tried to live close to their jobs, as some simplistic people suggest, that would actually be impossible

oh, and if everyone actually tried to live close to their jobs, as some simplistic people suggest, that would actually be impossible

No, they'd just sacrifice that yard they never venture into :grlaf:

Thats funny impossible to live near your work hahahhahha

Really? You think that if everyone who works in Seattle tried to move there, they actually could afford to, and demand would not exceed supply? :rolleyes: