Sexy Time!

olyclimber

I agree with what you are saying re: contractual agreements (i.e. marriage).

My point was, that perhaps expecting people to make these lifelong commits of absolute monogamy is unrealistic. As evidenced by the number of married citizens engaging in extra-marital affairs (caught, or otherwise).

I know personally, I've never had a woman NOT cheat on me. Perhaps the expectations we place on one another are unrealistic.

Very interesting, Rob. And I agree. I don't believe in marriage - it's a faulty institution with unrealistic expectations - and people get married for mostly the wrong reasons. Marriage was begun as a way for the church to assert reproductive control. There's about 1 in 10 marriages of people I know that make me want to ever be married. The other 9 in 10 make me SOOOOO happy to be single. And I've never had a guy NOT cheat on me! Probably why we both have such strong opinions here.

jeebus, you people have a rough time choosing other halfs.

And when you boil it down, the problem with most people and most marriages is that a lot of people plain suck.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that you can make the ethical case solely on the distinction between voluntary and coerced activity, ...

I would argue that many women are coerced into prostitution and legalization will not change this fact - and not even improve the situation (it could make it worse).

It is as if no one has noticed that when you ask a gal of any age what she wants to be when she grows up, she NEVER says, "a whore".

Someone claimed that marriage is an institution whose aim is to control women and their "reproductive" rights (i.e. their bodies). I'd argue that prostitution is an even older institution with that exact same goal.

Control women and their reproductive rights, or attempt to control men and their reproductive consequences?

I would agree women do it too, but not as often as men. Or men just get caught more!!!

That's because men pay for it in one way or another, it's either dinners and movies or cash withdrawls, either way there's a paper trail.

That is such bullshit! That's a stereotype...or I just date guys who never have money. Ok...maybe that's it! What was it those prostitutes made - $5K/hour...seriously?!

i didn't say she should bail out on him. maybe she should but arch has a point after 20 years, i'm not going to judge that decision.

i just think it sucks that she was up there with him in front of the cameras. she's a better woman than i am.

I have little ground to speak from as I've never been married, but it seems it takes 2 to make a marriage work and there's all kinds of compromises and submissions partners make. People choose to stay with partners who don't love them (or who they don't love) and cheat on them for so many reasons - it's called co-dependency. I hate witnessing it. Pisses me off. I think she's stupid, but I shouldn't judge. And he's a dipshit.

I agree with what you are saying re: contractual agreements (i.e. marriage).

My point was, that perhaps expecting people to make these lifelong commits of absolute monogamy is unrealistic. As evidenced by the number of married citizens engaging in extra-marital affairs (caught, or otherwise).

I know personally, I've never had a woman NOT cheat on me. Perhaps the expectations we place on one another are unrealistic.

Very interesting, Rob. And I agree. I don't believe in marriage - it's a faulty institution with unrealistic expectations - and people get married for mostly the wrong reasons. Marriage was begun as a way for the church to assert reproductive control. There's about 1 in 10 marriages of people I know that make me want to ever be married. The other 9 in 10 make me SOOOOO happy to be single. And I've never had a guy NOT cheat on me! Probably why we both have such strong opinions here.

jeebus, you people have a rough time choosing other halfs.

And when you boil it down, the problem with most people and most marriages is that a lot of people plain suck.

Aww...I think I may have exaggerated a bit - there were a few bf's that didn't cheat. I'm just bitter from the last 2 "truth-challenged" dipshits! Certainly there are lots of good people out there. And I think the problem with a lot of marriages is that people don't suck enough :blush:

i'm sure i gotta be the 300th guy to have made this observation, but at least it's original - for effect, you gotta read it w/ a jewish accent, no?

"so, his wife's name is silda spitzer - hmmm, why would he want to cheat on such a pretty wife? could it be BECAUSE she's a spitzer?"

Maybe I'm just simple, but marriage works for me. December 28th was the date at which I'd spent half my life with the same woman, and our official 25th Schtupiversary is fast approaching. She's not a climber, though she occasionally goes climbing and is happy to come along and self-entertain on various cragging outings and road trips. What she likes about climbing is not the activity (fear of heights plays into that) but the fact that it takes you to really cool places. In turn, I've developed an appreciation for art galleries. I like the punk rock, she's more into the folk thing, so we meet in the middle: tonight it's Gogol Bordello in Portland.

Like I say, call me simple, but my heart still skips a beat when I see her approaching across a room.

Like I say, call me simple, but my heart still skips a beat when I see her approaching across a room.

mine too, but usually b/c she's carrying a sharp knife or heavy, blunt object ;)

hmmmm....maybe i should've tried this approach :laf:

I would agree women do it too, but not as often as men. Or men just get caught more!!!

That's because men pay for it in one way or another, it's either dinners and movies or cash withdrawls, either way there's a paper trail.

So many men have been conditioned to believe and repeat this empty bullshit. How could anyone hate themselves enough to think that a woman would only sleep with him because "he pays for it". Why would a man chose to not understand that there are women who actually have sex with the man she is with simply because she loves him?

So many men have been conditioned to believe and repeat this empty bullshit. How could anyone hate themselves enough to think that a woman would only sleep with him because "he pays for it". Why would a man chose to not understand that there are women who actually have sex with the man she is with simply because she loves him?

I never said love wasn't involved in the diner/movie option. But most men I know still consider it the appropriate/ chivalrous/ romantic thing to do is pay for diner and/or the movie. It's nothing so cynical as buying the outcome at the end of the date, but it leaves a papetrail none the less. I would also consider it appropriate/chivalrous for whomever makes more to offer to pay, but until payscales become truly gender neutral that still weights things toward the guy paying.

Upcoming gross generalization not applicable to the highly educated and/or climbers....

I always thought that for a lot of folks the standard was guys pay for dinner/dates, girls pay for dresses/make-up to make themselves attractive to the guys..... if your into the whole frat boy/sorrority girl mind set.

That is such bullshit! That's a stereotype...or I just date guys who never have money. Ok...maybe that's it! What was it those prostitutes made - $5K/hour...seriously?!

In most stereotypes theres a grain of truth. As for the dating guys without money, didn't you mention you had been dating climbers lately?

Aww...I think I may have exaggerated a bit - there were a few bf's that didn't cheat. I'm just bitter from the last 2 "truth-challenged" dipshits! Certainly there are lots of good people out there. And I think the problem with a lot of marriages is that people don't suck enough :blush:

You'll make someone a good better half :tup::P

In most stereotypes theres a grain of truth. As for the dating guys without money, didn't you mention you had been dating climbers lately?

Ha-ha-ha...good one! Yeah, good thing I quit dating climbers...now I can get some free dinners!