Knee Pain Questions for the Doc

Had an MRI yesterday and got the results today. It's a torn pattela tendon and some other funkiness. The doc doesn't think surgery is absolutely necessary, but if it doesn't settle down in a month or so that may be the way to go. Anyone else around here tear this tendon before? What did you do, and how did it turn out? Thanks

:pagetop: :pagetop:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, it's been a long time since this started. Just thought I give everyone an update. So, after the MRI and it not settling down in a month they did some more tests and I was diagnosed with a partial tibial tubercle fracture.

When I was younger, playing football I whacked my knee pretty hard on the back on my friends heel. Apparently, this caused a hairline fracture that partially seperated from the front of my tibia. My patellar tendon was attached to this fragment and partially to the actual tibia. When this episode started, I tore the piece of the tendon that was attached to the tibia, leaving only the bit attached to the fractured fragment. If there had not been some tissue that had grown in between the fragment and the tibia the doc said the whole thing could have come apart.

So anyway, had the surgery in August 2008 to put a screw in to hold everything in place so it could heal. After 3 months in a full leg brace, and more physical therapy, by the time ice season rolled around I was still having pain to the point that I was having to limp significantly. A few x-rays confirmed that the bone still had not healed, so I started on a bone growth stimulation device. If you've never heard of one of those, its a little magnetic device that's supposed to flex the bone microscopically or something.

I made sure to keep it well away from my testicles, just in case :crazy:

So after I gave that a chance to fail, it was back to the surgery table. In the beginning of April, they cut it back open, backed out the screw, sawed out the piece of bone that wasn't healing, and the put it all back together with three screws and a plate. So now if they don't stop me at the airport because of my long hair, they'll surely stop me when I beep in the metal detector.

After having my leg in another full leg brace for the last three months, I got out of it yesterday and working on getting my strength back. I Start back at PT this week and am going hiking for the first time in more than a year.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone reading this try the internet rehab for chondromalacia patella ?

"The primary goal for treatment and rehabilitation of chondromalacia patella is to create a straighter pathway for the patella to follow during quadriceps contraction. Initial pain management involves avoiding motions which irritate the kneecap. Icing and anti-inflammatory medications (for examples, ibuprofen [Advil/Motrin] or naproxen [Aleve]) can also be helpful.

Selective strengthening of the inner portion of the quadriceps muscle will help normalize the tracking of the patella. Cardiovascular conditioning can be maintained by stationary bicycling (low resistance but high rpms), pool running, or swimming (flutter kick). Reviewing any changes in training prior to chondromalacia patella pain, as well as examining running shoes for proper biomechanical fit are critical to avoid repeating the painful cycle. Generally, full squat exercises with weights are avoided. Occasionally, bracing with patellar centering devices are required.

Stretching and strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups is critical for an effective and lasting rehabilitation of chondromalacia patella. "Quad sets" are the foundation of such a program. Quad sets are done by contraction the thigh muscles while the legs are straight and holding the contraction for a count of 10. Sets of 10 contractions are done between 15-20 times per day."

I initially did a lot of PT before having the first surgery. Unfortunately I was misdiagnosed, but I still have symptoms of Chondromalacia even 5 months after the second surgery. My doc believes that it is from scar tissue that has broken lose and is irritating my patella tract, but I'm starting to think he's full of shit.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Had the PRP injections (Four of them on one day) at the end of December and I have to say that was the worst pain in the world. Imagine a six inch long needle being stuck directly into the tender/pain/sore spots on your patellar tendon. Oh, and anesthesia is not an option since that affects the healing. That seems to put the healing in high gear, but I still have some discomfort. I've gotten the all clear to go out and do stuff from the doc, but I a bit weary to trust it all yet. Looking like a lot of hiking in my future right now, since my range of motion is about 70%. The pain is pretty much gone, but it all still feels really weak. A bit nervous to head out deep somewhere. Unplanned chopper rides are not something I want to experience.

• 3 years later...