political correctness

Gary_Yngve

are you offended by the term chinese fire drill?

do you think the average chinese person is offended by the term?

do you think the only people offended by the term are people who think there may exist at least one chinese person offended by the term?

what should we call the act of stopping at a red light, running around the car, and getting back in, instead to be PC?

now repeat for the grainy term for a decked out crappy car w/ spoiler, special rims, neon license plate holder, etc... is that offensive? what should we call that to be PC?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, you appear to have missed the boat on this one.

In a "sensativity training" class I had to attend a while back I almost laughed in the instructors face when I was informed that it is no longer PC to use the phrase Politically Correct. It is preferable to use the declaritive of "culturally sensative." :crazy:

My vote for the stoplight shenanigans is to be a little more accurate and just call it "kids on beer" or some such nonsense.

Once, in grad school back in that horrid PC wasteland known as Cambridge, MA, I came into the office from outside during a rather cold and windy day. I mentioned to my officemate that "It's a little nippy out there". The resident PC gatekeeper happened to be passing by and said "That's a little offensive, don't you think?" (apparently unfamiliar with the etymology of the word)

Once, in grad school back in that horrid PC wasteland known as Cambridge, MA, I came into the office from outside during a rather cold and windy day. I mentioned to my officemate that "It's a little nippy out there". The resident PC gatekeeper happened to be passing by and said "That's a little offensive, don't you think?" (apparently unfamiliar with the etymology of the word)

You should have told him you would like to avoid being niggardly with your word choice.

I've noticed a resurgence of Whining About Political Correctness as of late, and can't help but attribute it to the fact that our next president will likely be either a black man or a woman. Pity the poor white man's burden. :wave:

Keep the Confucius jokes coming, though!

super_retard.jpg

fwead dwift :whistle:

teehee, this is funny stuff.

my girlfriend criticized me for the chinese fire drill comment when i witnessed one in a traffic jam on 520 and she said it was culturally insensitive. i asked what it literally meant, and if it lost its original meaning, then it should be fine. she's been ultra-sensitized to it from years of schooling in health sciences, where they've been neutralizing every possible offensive term. (i agree with the transition of VD to STD; not sure i understand why it was further necessary to go to STI. though i think it would be funny to talk about MD: Martian Disease)

i suppose you could say that a car has been souped up. and the folks driving said cars are soupheads? that might be a better phrase to adopt.

i'm sure i've said plenty of risque borderline offensive stuff in lecture to make a funny and keep the students awake; I have yet to be called on it.

I'd like to know when "culturally insensitive" just becomes a nod to a different culture (with a bit of humor thrown in). When we lose the ability to laugh at ourselves, we lose our humanity. And when we lose the ability to brush of some of the things that people say and don't mean to be offensive with, we lose the ability to just communicate with our fellow man.