to the christians

lI1|1!

this is a flash thought i had this morning (i'm slow). it's so obvious i'm sure someone else has said it before but i thought i should post it here so we can have our own flame war if necessary.

to the christians:

you know how you think it's crazy muslims deny women rights by making them wear veils, not letting them drive, and in general treating them like second class citizens? that's how i feel about your attempts to make abortion illegal.

you know how you think it's crazy muslims punish the victims of rape or punish women who sit in the company of men they are not related to? that's how i feel about your opposition to gay marriage.

you know how you think it's crazy muslims wage a holy war against all infidels and think isreal should be wiped off the map? that's how i feel about your attempts to teach intelligent design or creationism in schools.

you know how you think there are probably a lot of muslims who just see islam as a source of personal inspiration and don't advocate violence or terrorism? that's how i feel about christians who don't feel the need to impose their beliefs on others.

thanks and have a great day.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a flash thought i had this morning (i'm slow). it's so obvious i'm sure someone else has said it before but i thought i should post it here so we can have our own flame war if necessary.

to the christians:

you know how you think it's crazy muslims deny women rights by making them wear veils, not letting them drive, and in general treating them like second class citizens? that's how i feel about your attempts to make abortion illegal.

you know how you think it's crazy muslims punish the victims of rape or punish women who sit in the company of men they are not related to? that's how i feel about your opposition to gay marriage.

you know how you think it's crazy muslims wage a holy war against all infidels and think isreal should be wiped off the map? that's how i feel about your attempts to teach intelligent design or creationism in schools.

you know how you think there are probably a lot of muslims who just see islam as a source of personal inspiration and don't advocate violence or terrorism? that's how i feel about christians who don't feel the need to impose their beliefs on others.

I agree, that you are slow. Happy?

From Wikipedia

Homosexuality is a crime and forbidden in most Islamic countries, like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Iran, etc. In some relatively secular or multi-religious Islamic countries, this is not the case, Albania and Turkey being examples.

Same-sex intercourse officially carries the death penalty in several Muslim nations: Saudi Arabia, Iran, Mauritania, Sudan, and Yemen.[1] It formerly carried the death penalty in Afghanistan under the Taliban. The legal situation in the United Arab Emirates is unclear. In many Muslim nations, such as Bahrain, Qatar, Algeria and the Maldives, homosexuality is punished with jail time, fines, or corporal punishment. In some Muslim-majority nations, such as Turkey, Jordan, Indonesia or Mali, same-sex intercourse is not specifically forbidden by law. In Egypt, openly gay men have been prosecuted under general public morality laws. (See Cairo 52.) On the other hand, homosexuality, while not legal, is tolerated to some extent in Lebanon, which has a significantly large Christian minority, and has been legal in Turkey for decades.

In Saudi Arabia, the maximum punishment for homosexuality is public execution, but the government will use other punishments—e.g., fines, jail time, and whipping—as alternatives, unless it feels that homosexuals are challenging state authority by engaging in LGBT social movements.[2] Iran is perhaps the nation to execute the largest number of its citizens for homosexuality. Since the 1979 Islamic revolution in Iran, the Iranian government has executed more than 4,000 people charged with homosexual acts[3]. In Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban, homosexuality went from a capital crime to one that it punished with fines and prison sentence.

to the christians:

First, most Christians do not like my stand but most Jews did not like Jesus so take it all with a grain of salt.

Abortion should be addressed through education and support of birth control. This would have to be coupled with reforms in Public health care and welfare. Huge issue. Not simplistic. Do I think abortions are OK? No. Do I think they should be illegal? Some of them. From here it gets really sticky but I have a really freaking HUGE issue with people who use it repeatedly as birth control just like I have a really freaking HUGE issue with people who think they can tell a raped woman she has to carry to term.

Gays are mostly that way due to genetics. The church is behind the times scientifically but they will adapt. Anything that changes rapidly, cannot withstand the erosion of time. We are in a particularly fast changing period and the old ways seem too slow to change. They will.

The church is behind the times scientifically but they will adapt. Anything that changes rapidly, cannot withstand the erosion of time. We are in a particularly fast changing period and the old ways seem too slow to change. They will.

Cheers.

I like your post.

From Wikipedia

Homosexuality is a crime and forbidden in most Islamic countries, like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Iran, etc. In some relatively secular or multi-religious Islamic countries, this is not the case, Albania and Turkey being examples.

Same-sex intercourse officially carries the death penalty in several Muslim nations: Saudi Arabia, Iran, Mauritania, Sudan, and Yemen.[1] It formerly carried the death penalty in Afghanistan under the Taliban. The legal situation in the United Arab Emirates is unclear. In many Muslim nations, such as Bahrain, Qatar, Algeria and the Maldives, homosexuality is punished with jail time, fines, or corporal punishment. In some Muslim-majority nations, such as Turkey, Jordan, Indonesia or Mali, same-sex intercourse is not specifically forbidden by law. In Egypt, openly gay men have been prosecuted under general public morality laws. (See Cairo 52.) On the other hand, homosexuality, while not legal, is tolerated to some extent in Lebanon, which has a significantly large Christian minority, and has been legal in Turkey for decades.

In Saudi Arabia, the maximum punishment for homosexuality is public execution, but the government will use other punishments—e.g., fines, jail time, and whipping—as alternatives, unless it feels that homosexuals are challenging state authority by engaging in LGBT social movements.[2] Iran is perhaps the nation to execute the largest number of its citizens for homosexuality. Since the 1979 Islamic revolution in Iran, the Iranian government has executed more than 4,000 people charged with homosexual acts[3]. In Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban, homosexuality went from a capital crime to one that it punished with fines and prison sentence.

Islam is so close in its escatology that there were several Ecummenical Councils convened to CREATE definitive differences.

The Quran is a parrallel to Christ, Muhammed to Mary, and so forth. If the early councils had not closed the Bibile to layety, we would not be having this discussion. Islam, was effectively the original post Nicean Protestantism.

Where is Mary Magdelin in all of this?

I smell a fish.

Gays are mostly that way due to genetics. The church is behind the times scientifically but they will adapt. Anything that changes rapidly, cannot withstand the erosion of time. We are in a particularly fast changing period and the old ways seem too slow to change. They will.

AFAIK, this is not known to be true. It's an idea people are studying, and the mere fact that scientists are studying it has led many to believe it's true. Believe me, we'll all know when they find "the gay gene." Can you imagine the media frenzy? "How could God make people gay and then condemn them for how he made them?"

AFAIK, this is not known to be true. It's an idea people are studying, and the mere fact that scientists are studying it has led many to believe it's true. Believe me, we'll all know when they find "the gay gene." Can you imagine the media frenzy? "How could God make people gay and then condemn them for how he made them?"

I grew up in Montana where it is OK to do sheep but not men.

The gays I knew did not volunteer.

If I were a Christian that didn't believe in any of those accusations I would find the OP quite insulting and hypocritical. You can't accuse someone of being prejudiced in such a prejudiced manner. There are as many atheists that are homophobes and racists. Just because someone tries to support their delusions with the Bible doesn't mean that Christianity is at fault.

Let's say that the Bible is the word of god hidden in a bunch of crap to test the faithful. Those that have misinterpreted the Bible fail and go to hell and those that are true to the spirit pass. That's the way I like to think of it at least. It's just too confusing to believe that every word of the Bible is true. I watched a debate on the existence of god after the CBC presentation of 'The Root of all Evil'. The Christian supporter was confronted with conflicting statements in the Bible and stated something like 'You just know which parts are true and which are false but it is all still the word of god. You read it over and over and you get the idea.' That was met with groans...

I think of myself as a scientist and an atheist (and possibly a humanist; I haven't looked into it enough) and would like to think that all religions will come to the same conclusion that we should all work together and treat each other with respect. Some need some guidance in coming to that conclusion but hopefully the religious leaders of the world will start making sense and stop wielding the power of faith as a tool of manipulation. There will always be disagreements between faiths but hopefully they can be worked out without killing each other.

..... and would like to think that all religions will come to the same conclusion that we should all work together and treat each other with respect. Some need some guidance in coming to that conclusion but hopefully the religious leaders of the world will start making sense and stop wielding the power of faith as a tool of manipulation. There will always be disagreements between faiths but hopefully they can be worked out without killing each other.

2nd Commandment.