Facebook Sucks

prole

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hillary will fix that.

What does Hilary have to do with facebook? If any politian is in favor of us putting personal information online, it's one who supports wire tapping and tracking down "terrorists".

I so appreciate these kind of social networking activities with my friends. Do you guys like Pepsi. I don't. I like Coca-Cola better.

"But Thiel is more than just a clever and avaricious capitalist. He is a futurist philosopher and neocon activist. A philosophy graduate from Stanford, in 1998 he co-wrote a book called The Diversity Myth, which is a detailed attack on liberalism and the multiculturalist ideology that dominated Stanford. He claimed that the "multiculture" led to a lessening of individual freedoms. While a student at Stanford, Thiel founded a rightwing journal, still up and running, called The Stanford Review - motto: Fiat Lux ("Let there be light"). Thiel is a member of TheVanguard.Org, an internet-based neoconservative pressure group that was set up to attack MoveOn.org, a liberal pressure group that works on the web. Thiel calls himself "way libertarian".

TheVanguard is run by one Rod D Martin, a philosopher-capitalist whom Thiel greatly admires. On the site, Thiel says: "Rod is one of our nation's leading minds in the creation of new and needed ideas for public policy. He possesses a more complete understanding of America than most executives have of their own businesses."

This little taster from their website will give you an idea of their vision for the world: "TheVanguard.Org is an online community of Americans who believe in conservative values, the free market and limited government as the best means to bring hope and ever-increasing opportunity to everyone, especially the poorest among us."

"The internet is immensely appealing to neocons such as Thiel because it promises a certain sort of freedom in human relations and in business, freedom from pesky national laws, national boundaries and suchlike. The internet opens up a world of free trade and laissez-faire expansion. Thiel also seems to approve of offshore tax havens, and claims that 40% of the world's wealth resides in places such as Vanuatu, the Cayman Islands, Monaco and Barbados. I think it's fair to say that Thiel, like Rupert Murdoch, is against tax. He also likes the globalisation of digital culture because it makes the banking overlords hard to attack: "You can't have a workers' revolution to take over a bank if the bank is in Vanuatu," he says."

"Here at last is the Enlightenment state longed for since the Puritans of the 17th century sailed away to North America, a world where everyone is free to express themselves as they please, according to who is watching. National boundaries are a thing of the past and everyone cavorts together in freewheeling virtual space."

:tup:

Girard reckons that people are essentially sheep-like and will copy one another without much reflection.

Apparently he's right.

At the time of writing Facebook claims 59 million active users, including 7 million in the UK, Facebook's third-biggest customer after the US and Canada. That's 59 million suckers, all of whom have volunteered their ID card information and consumer preferences to an American business they know nothing about. Right now, 2 million new people join each week. At the present rate of growth, Facebook will have more than 200 million active users by this time next year. And I would predict that, if anything, its rate of growth will accelerate over the coming months. As its spokesman Chris Hughes says: "It's embedded itself to an extent where it's hard to get rid of."

prole, if you think having a facebook account equals providing all your info and consumer preferences, you are the true sheep parroting a stupid conclusion someone made in an article.

facebook is the sucker, providing me with a great service that they or their advertisers get absolutely nothing from except name recognition. i have facebook and the only accurate personal info they have on me is my name, hometown, and my dedicated spam e-mail address. shoot, cc.com has the same info, and you were proud of making cc.com your online hangout. it occupies a miniscule part of my life, essentially acting as another address book.

at least 90% (ya I made that up) of internet users ignore ads and have no intention of ever making it worth the advertiser's while. if every user was so sheep-like, cc.com would be getting serious bank from their sponsors. the internet bust of the 90's was due in part to the same overestimation of how much money and influence there was to be found in the internet, because of people like me.

advertisers need to wake up and figger it out, that i have a facebook account and a cc.com account, but i spend at least 99% of my time at cc.com, and i actually might click on an ad at cc.com! bring da cash flow to cc.com!

prole, if you think having a facebook account equals providing all your info and consumer preferences, you are the true sheep parroting a stupid conclusion someone made in an article.

facebook is the sucker, providing me with a great service that they or their advertisers get absolutely nothing from except name recognition. i have facebook and the only accurate personal info they have on me is my name, hometown, and my dedicated spam e-mail address. shoot, cc.com has the same info, and you were proud of making cc.com your online hangout. it occupies a miniscule part of my life, essentially acting as another address book.

at least 90% (ya I made that up) of internet users ignore ads and have no intention of ever making it worth the advertiser's while. if every user was so sheep-like, cc.com would be getting serious bank from their sponsors. the internet bust of the 90's was due in part to the same overestimation of how much money and influence there was to be found in the internet, because of people like me.

advertisers need to wake up and figger it out, that i have a facebook account and a cc.com account, but i spend at least 99% of my time at cc.com, and i actually might click on an ad at cc.com! bring da cash flow to cc.com!

You're the sucker if you think:

a. most users of facebook are having the same experience that you are.

b. That facebook advertisers and investors aren't getting something for their money.

It is Facebook's enormous potential that led Microsoft to buy 1.6% for $240m. A recent rumour says that Asian investor Lee Ka-Shing, said to be the ninth richest man in the world, has bought 0.4% of Facebook for $60m.

The creators of the site need do very little bar fiddle with the programme. In the main, they simply sit back and watch as millions of Facebook addicts voluntarily upload their ID details, photographs and lists of their favourite consumer objects. Once in receipt of this vast database of human beings, Facebook then simply has to sell the information back to advertisers, or, as Zuckerberg puts it in a recent blog post, "to try to help people share information with their friends about things they do on the web". And indeed, this is precisely what's happening. On November 6 last year, Facebook announced that 12 global brands had climbed on board. They included Coca-Cola, Blockbuster, Verizon, Sony Pictures and Condé Nast. All trained in marketing bullshit of the highest order, their representatives made excited comments along the following lines:

"With Facebook Ads, our brands can become a part of the way users communicate and interact on Facebook," said Carol Kruse, vice president, global interactive marketing, the Coca-Cola Company.

"We view this as an innovative way to cultivate relationships with millions of Facebook users by enabling them to interact with Blockbuster in convenient, relevant and entertaining ways," said Jim Keyes, Blockbuster chairman and CEO. "This is beyond creating advertising impressions. This is about Blockbuster participating in the community of the consumer so that, in return, consumers feel motivated to share the benefits of our brand with their friends."

That's "serious bank" from their sponsors.

the problem with banking on facebook is that it became so popular in large part due to its lack of commercialization, relative to myspace. attempts to push advertising too hard have led to backlashes from facebook users in the past, and will no doubt be met with resistance in the future. just because people are investing in it doesn't make it worth what they're paying. maybe you're right, but I'm not convinced just yet.