this sucks for the cat...

RuMR

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hold the zoos entirely responsible, whoring wild animals for the amusement of domesticated animals. both types of animals were pretty much doing what comes natural, and the zoo did not protect EITHER animal type from the unfortunate events that unfolded.

Are you going to hold jon responsible when someone bludgeons you in a back alley?

I'm glad those kids finally admitted it. I hope their parents feel ashamed of themselves.

They won't, they are just part of the ignorant "American" public that help us vote down issues that matter and propagate innuendo and stunt the "culture" ever more. Like the ignorant trash that inhabits our school system's today...this is the "America" we have chosen. Most likely, given the chance they would gladly climb in a gym or clip a bolt.

And I never, ever said that the kids "deserved" to die. I am not that coldhearted, and no matter what black humor is posted here, I don't believe anyone here feels that in their heart. So get off your high horse on that one.

The universe is coldhearted. There is no "deserved" involved; that's injecting a human construct into what is a simple interaction between a young man and nature. The Happy Meal did something stupid which resulted in the termination of his planetary visit. People, young and old, cull themselves from the population in this manner all the time. In the final analysis, its not personal. It's just business.

The Zoo has since posted these plackards:

"Warning:

1,500 pound cats are potentially hazardous and dangerous. When abusing big cats you accept full responsibility for your safety as well as the safety of others around you. You are personally responsible for learning the proper techniques and good judgment necessary for proper abuse of all big cats. The specimen information provided by the San Francisco Zoo is not a substitute for qualified personal instruction. Learn the proper abuse of big cats and understand their limitations. Inspect all big cats before abuse and avoid any cats that are famished, worn out, or are not fat through thorough and frequent injestion."

Being mauled by a tiger would really suck. But how low would your IQ have to be before you could be ruled incompetent to know not to fuck with a friggin Tiger? The cat was doing what cats do. Doh! He ate the mouse. Who would have guessed?

The cat stays in his pen for how many years? 8? And one day he MAGICALLY figures out how to get out? BULLSHIT.

There is a big difference between a wild predator in a normal state and a wild predator in a frenzied state. No matter how many generations of tigers you successfully raise in captivity, they evolved to hunt, stalk, chase down, kill, and eat their prey.

Killing them for doing what they have evolved to do was wrong.

The walls not being high enough is a cop out. These kids were not mature enough to be on their own in a zoo. That is not the Zoo's fault imo. It is a matter of personal responsibility, just like using a cell phone to get helicoptered off Rainier when your toes get cold. These kids and parents are too fucked up to admit that THE KIDS fucked up by playing chicken with a tiger.

Sue the adult aged "kids" involved for the death of the teenager.

that's such bs i can't believe people are even saying it. you don't build a fucking zoo that the animals can escape from. it's pretty frickin' no brainer shit we're talking about. should the kids have been taunting the animals? of course not. it's as fucked up as having zoos in the first place. but it's pretty damn obvious that you build zoos to CONTAIN man-eating animals. again, i can't even believe this point is being argued. "ah gee, let's build the cage to contain animals, UNLESS THEY ARE BEING TAUNTED. yeah, that makes sense, cuz nobody will taunt the animals. yeah, that's it."

have a friggin clue.

that's such bs i can't believe people are even saying it. you don't build a fucking zoo that the animals can escape from. it's pretty frickin' no brainer shit we're talking about. should the kids have been taunting the animals? of course not. it's as fucked up as having zoos in the first place. but it's pretty damn obvious that you build zoos to CONTAIN man-eating animals. again, i can't even believe this point is being argued. "ah gee, let's build the cage to contain animals, UNLESS THEY ARE BEING TAUNTED. yeah, that makes sense, cuz nobody will taunt the animals. yeah, that's it."

have a friggin clue.

Go back to PETA. Bug's right: it's not the zoo's fault. It's yet another case of people not accepting responsibility for themselves. A couple things:

1. Siberian Tigers--one of the most beautiful animals on this earth--will be extinct in the wild long before the last one dies in a "zoo."

2. Many animals you see in "zoos" are rescued. Here's one less than a half-mile from my house, where ALL animals are rescue cases: Cat Tales

Go back to PETA. Bug's right: it's not the zoo's fault. It's yet another case of people not accepting responsibility for themselves. A couple things:

1. Siberian Tigers--one of the most beautiful animals on this earth--will be extinct in the wild long before the last one dies in a "zoo."

2. Many animals you see in "zoos" are rescued. Here's one less than a half-mile from my house, where ALL animals are rescue cases: Cat Tales

ok ok you can argue about the benefits of zoos, and good points can of course be made about species preservation; that's really not the point here though. the point is about building structures that human-eating animals cannot escape from. this is entirely entirely entirely the liability of the zoo administration, ESPECIALLY if the inadequacies had been previously noted. i fail to see what is so damn difficult to comprehend about this point.

you don't use a structure to house a tiger from which the tiger can escape. period.

have a friggin clue.

Well, assuming that they didn't build the enclosure to intentionally allow the cat to roam, they must have not been aware of how talented the cat was. I really doubt anyone's done exhaustive jump tests for full grown Siberian tigers using asshole teenagers for bait, so such a gap in the zoo's expertise is understandable.

It also seems that the SF Zoo has a pretty good track record as compared to some others: Escapes from the LA Zoo

What we know about animal intelligence and physical capabilities is pretty limited. They continue to surprise us.

Dumbass.

Edited by tvashtarkatena