Denali Expedition 2008 - Looking for 10-12 member

vertical_hiker

Mythology is a culture's wisdom in narative form.

We currently struggle to incorporate multiple mythologies into our constitutional framework that was in truth based on Christian religion. We also try to stretch that (and should) to incorporate the secular cultures.

So stop trying to use mythology like it is a dirty word.

It does not mean "an absence of truth". It is an anthropological term that became slang like "cool" or "radical".

Unless you are neither.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if god/jesus is such a hot product, one wouldn't have to sell it. it would sell it self.

correction, Christians don't sell. They point the way. All we can do is point, it's other people's choices if they want to listen, not ours.

Jesus is not a product. He is God in flesh, and took Pink's place on the cross, as all of us. We all deserve what we should get, and I deserve it more than any of you, thank God he is graceful.

how would you feel if i pointed your children in the direction of satan himself?

jesus died for what he believed was a good cause, but so have many people through out the history of time. what makes jesus so different when the outcome (death) was the same. i have a hard time believing he needs us to placate his actions.

All your posts do that. I don't let my kids read them.

That is Mr. Roll to you :mistat:

By the way what are you doing this weekend? How about this call me biznatch

Sorry Mr. Roll. I woulda called you Sunday but I ended up spending most of the day in bed or on the couch w/ a cold. Besides, you should have been shredding it up after that snowfall, right?

I've got all next week off so let's get out, I'll call you.

OK back to whatever it is you all are ranting about. But check out my Jack Chick/Cthulhu parody tract, it's funny.

Thus spake the man with the multiple neg-AM I/O arms...

ok let's get this straight: i hold no neg-ams.

i would only get a neg-am if i was certain to be in a position to sell property quickly (why would i pay any extra if i didn't have to, since my aim wouldn't be to hold and build equity?).

i understand also that i am in a position to refi anything i would buy with a neg am, because of various factors we don't need to go into (i'd hate to leverage myself into a tenuous position with no outs).

you wouldn't advise anyone to delve into derivatives without a complete position from which to play, right? and you wouldn't curse derivatives outright simply because of the risk, right? it's a bad comparison in many ways, but the point is it depends on what you do and why you do it. jeez.

dumbass.

if god/jesus is such a hot product, one wouldn't have to sell it. it would sell it self.

correction, Christians don't sell. They point the way. All we can do is point, it's other people's choices if they want to listen, not ours.

Jesus is not a product. He is God in flesh, and took Pink's place on the cross, as all of us. We all deserve what we should get, and I deserve it more than any of you, thank God he is graceful.

"THE" Way. No arrogance there.

yeah noticed that too. oh well, gloves off, bitches!

On the subject of tolerance, I have three questions for Vertical Christian:

1) Do you consider the gay lifestyle immoral? If not, do you support equal rights regarding marriaged, etc, for gays?

It doesn't matter what I think? What's more important is what God says about it? Again, I'm just telling you what God says, and I am compassionate when I say this. God says in the Bible quite clearly that anybody who chooses to engage in any sexual activity outside of God's original plan of marriage is considered sinning (sex with animals, sex with boyfriend/girlfriend, sex with same sex, adultery, etc,). There are people who are Christians who have gay struggles, and they love God, and they continue to strive to be like Christ, and I respect that. Someone close to me is gay, and I love them. For those who choose to say to God F--- you, then... yeah, their story has a different ending. Will any of these people go to Heaven?,...I have no right to judge because I'm not God, only He knows what will ultimately happen, but the Bible says ANYONE who's name was not found written in the book life, will not be in Heaven? Straight up. We have a chance though. Hitler even had a chance if he repented. God's love extends to anyone. How does one get to Heaven? Romans 10:9-10,13, John 1:10, John 14:6. 1John 1:9

Now for gay rights, gay people can live as they please, and they have the right to, but I think most would agree you shouldn't change the definition of marriage. I know most people would agree that every gay person ought to be treated with respect just as anyone, not with special rights, but with the same rights as everyone else.

2) I already asked this one but never got an answer: What's going to happen to this atheist, assuming he will remain such til the end, after he dies? Assume a life lived full of good works (hypothetical, of course).

Again, refer to notes above, anybody who doesn't accept Christ cannot enter Heaven, not because they are not good enough, but because God cannot allow sin in his presence, and thus, you have to be perfect to get to Heaven, which is why Jesus came, to take away our sin, so we can stand perfect before the Father. It's not about good works. I thought before I turned Christian, that I would be in Heaven because I was a pretty good person, not really a bad person. The book of James, chptr 2, says it only takes one sin to separate us from God. That's why we need Christ. Good luck without him.

3) Do you believe that religious practices, such as the teaching of creationism/intelligent design and prayer, should be allowed in public schools?

Prayer is already allowed in school, but a teacher, or any school representative cannot make or ask students to pray, and that's fine with me. I don't want any teacher forcing me to pray, or any of my kids. Then we're back to early History lessons.

For intelligent design, again people have different views, and that's ok. I think if the schools have nothing to fear, that they are so confident in the theory of evolution, then at least bring up the Creation theory to let the students know there are other beliefs of how the world began, let the students and parents decide. This is the education system after all, where we should be able to hear all sides of the argument, not hitlerism teaching the young youth only what his version of history. Hope that answers your questions. Thanks.

yeah noticed that too. oh well, gloves off, bitches!

Guess Jesus was arrogant. "I am the Way. The Truth and "THE" life."

how would you feel if i pointed your children in the direction of satan himself?

jesus died for what he believed was a good cause, but so have many people through out the history of time. what makes jesus so different when the outcome (death) was the same. i have a hard time believing he needs us to placate his actions.

Are you calling yourself a child? I'm going to Denali for crying out loud, not the local kindergarten.

Thus spake the man with the multiple neg-AM I/O arms...

ok let's get this straight: i hold no neg-ams.

i would only get a neg-am if i was certain to be in a position to sell property quickly (why would i pay any extra if i didn't have to, since my aim wouldn't be to hold and build equity?).

i understand also that i am in a position to refi anything i would buy with a neg am, because of various factors we don't need to go into (i'd hate to leverage myself into a tenuous position with no outs).

you wouldn't advise anyone to delve into derivatives without a complete position from which to play, right? and you wouldn't curse derivatives outright simply because of the risk, right? it's a bad comparison in many ways, but the point is it depends on what you do and why you do it. jeez.

dumbass.

The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.

Thanks for the soliloquy - but I was just trying to get a rise out of you.

Hopefully if you aren't in a position where you will be cashflow positive after the rate resets hit, you will be able to sell for a net-profit, or have enough cash to ride things out until you can.

mortgage_arm_reset_schedule.png

The second lump of resets, which is composed primarily of Alt-A, Agency, and Prime ARM resets corresponds to roughly 2010-2012.

Actually, you're correct. There was no arrogance at all when I said that. In fact, I can say I have ONE biological dad, and only one, without showing arrogance, because I really do only have one. Besides that, I didn't write the Bible. Jesus is the one who said, "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life, nobody comes to the Father EXCEPT through me." (Capital letters added), John 14:6, so if you want to call anybody arrogant, just call Jesus arrogant because He's the one who said it. Again, just pointing out the Way the Bible says it.

No surprises here. You're golden, everyone else is fucked. But that's not YOUR intolerance, it's God's, right? Blame it on the boss. Right. Yeah, I've got a problem with that. You subscribe to a particarly brand of religious intolerance because it suits you; in the end, it's your choice.

Thanks, though. I'll take my chances with a few good works, a few sins here and there, and not judging, er, I mean letting God judge, those with differing sexuality and faith. If that means going to hell, oh well, at least all my friends will be there...and you guys won't be (or so you've been lead to believe). Somehow, I don't think it's going to matter either way at that point.

As for teaching creationism, that would be fine...a) if it were science (it's not) and b) if religion were taught in public schools. Fortunately, our standards for science education haven't slipped so far as to allow it, and our Constitutional guarantee of freedom of worship prevents Christianity from getting state sponsored special treatment. It's not 'fear', it's an appropriate refusal to allow junk to adulterate sound science education and a religious minority to misuse publicly funded education to propogandize the majority.

No surprises here. You're golden, everyone else is fucked. But that's not YOUR intolerance, it's God's, right? Blame it on the boss. Right. Yeah, I've got a problem with that. You subscribe to a particarly brand of religious intolerance because it suits you; in the end, it's your choice.

Thanks, though. I'll take my chances with a few good works, a few sins here and there, and not judging, er, I mean letting God judge, those with differing sexuality and faith. If that means going to hell, oh well, at least all my friends will be there...and you guys won't be (or so you've been lead to believe). Somehow, I don't think it's going to matter either way at that point.

As for teaching creationism, that would be fine...a) if it were science (it's not) and b) if religion were taught in public schools. Fortunately, our standards for science education haven't slipped so far as to allow it, and our Constitutional guarantee of freedom of worship prevents Christianity from getting state sponsored special treatment. It's not 'fear', it's an appropriate refusal to allow junk to adulterate sound science education and a religious minority to misuse publicly funded education to propogandize the majority.

LOL and who decides evolution is sound science??? Last time I checked it was a theory. Unless you were there.

Belief is a choice. If this were untrue, there would be people who believed but did not want to and people who wanted to believe but couldn’t. This is not the case; belief *is* a choice. So, given the constant, inescapable bath of Christianty and Jesus-talk in America, how can you presume that any climbers “need to hear” the Good News? It seems very arrogant that you would think it was your place and role to put your religion in climbers’ faces. They have heard it all ad nauseum. If they wished to pursue it, they would.

"Climbers", like everybody else, can politely say "no" and/or walk away from folks promoting whatever...whether it's a political petition signing campaign or a friendly Mormon missionary. All this talk of "Jesus in your face" is nonsense. Walk away or otherwise ignore it or give it a listen if you choose. And yes, it is your choice how you react to people.

By the way, "Vertical Hiker", if you had some idealist notion that all "climbers" are somehow "cool", "special", "tolerant", or "with-it", you've probably discovered the truth by now....they aren't...some are, but it's obviously not a universal trait that goes with the "sport".

As I've long argued, the so-called "Brotherhood of the Rope" doesn't exist anymore...maybe it never did.

Yeah, to the Christians, there's always someone, someone who's just minding their own business, who doesn't quite measure up. First it was the blacks and indians. Now it's the gays. "Oh, it's right here in the Bible. Our hands are tied. The Bible, you know, it's The WORD."

Well, if it's the word, why do the fucking CHristians spend so much time reinterpreting it to justify their latest kookiness, like being BORN AGAIN, for example? "Oh, that was always in there...God was just waiting for us to interpret it correctly".

This "my way or the highway" Christian God that frowns upon whole groups of people that, coincidentally, lead lives His followers wouldn't approve of anyway, is nothing more than a Grade A mythical Asshole his followers invented through creative Biblical interpretation to justify their own prejudices. He doesn't even remotely resemble the Catholic God I grew up with, or the Jewish God of my close friends. We all choose our own version of God: if you want to follow an asshole who wants to His fucked up Way for the rest of us, go for it, but expect a pretty good fight when it comes to public policy.

Facts support theories, you twit. A fossil is a fact. Facts are minor events which support the theory. The theory is the Big Idea. Evolution, and every other bit of science out there, is a theory supported by factual evidence. And evolution is the most successfully tested theory in all of science. Jesus, who slipped you through through grade school?

Yeah, to the Christians, there's always someone, someone who's just minding their own business, who doesn't quite measure up. First it was the blacks and indians. Now it's the gays. "Oh, it's right here in the Bible. Our hands are tied. The Bible, you know, it's The WORD."

Well, if it's the word, why do the fucking CHristians spend so much time reinterpreting it to justify their latest kookiness, like being BORN AGAIN, for example? "Oh, that was always in there...God was just waiting for us to interpret it correctly".

This "my way or the highway" Christian God that frowns upon whole groups of people that, coincidentally, lead lives His followers wouldn't approve of anyway, is nothing more than a Grade A mythical Asshole his followers invented through creative Biblical interpretation to justify their own prejudices. He doesn't even remotely resemble the Catholic God I grew up with, or the Jewish God of my close friends. We all choose our own version of God: if you want to follow an asshole who wants to His fucked up Way for the rest of us, go for it, but expect a pretty good fight when it comes to public policy.

How can you speak for a christian and what he feels??? the arrogance.

Facts support theories, you twit. A fossil is a fact. Facts are minor events which support the theory. The theory is the Big Idea. Evolution, and every other bit of science out there, is a theory supported by factual evidence. And evolution is the most successfully tested theory in all of science. Jesus, who slipped you through through grade school?

A fossile can get there many different ways that doesn't prove a thing, just that it existed at one point. And how would you explain soft tissue such as blood vessel being found in dinasour bones??? You can choice to beleive what you want but there are other views that have just as much credibility and none of it can be proved unless you were there.

TTK....how is it that evolution is the most successfully tested theory in all of science? Where did you get that gem?

TTK....how is it that evolution is the most successfully tested theory in all of science? Where did you get that gem?

It's a courtroom quotation from the Pennsylvania intelligent design case profiled recently on Nova, and I believe there aren't many in the scientific field who would disagree with it.

HE LOOKS IN THE MIRROR. THE PROOF IS INCONTROVERTIBLE! MUST I ONCE AGAIN PROVIDE THE EVIDENCE???

854484909_a92ec0bf77.jpg

istockphoto_105957_animal_and_proud_of_em.jpg