Favorite winter routes in the Wallowas

Jake_Gano

The weather's looking good this weekend but I don't think the Wallowas ice has had time to form up after our warm spell. I'm thinking about heading down there to do some peak bagging, maybe an easy long traverse? Does anyone have some favorite winter routes that aren't too exposed to avy terrain? Even though the ice condition and snowpack are probably not the best right now, I'm going to have a really hard time letting a nice w/e pass by.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dragged my Dad out towards Ice Lake the day after Thanksgiving (bad idea) with the intention of scoping out the falls a couple miles in. Didn't spy anything cause we didn't get that far, but it's worth checking out.

Park at the trailhead at Wallowa Lake and take the trail on the left side of the road. Snowshoes were not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Jake - Just call Steve at the brewery in Enterprise. He used to post on here at Terminal_gravity. very nice guy. There is a good route on Chief Joe's NF, a couloir that looks fun. a long day trip. The NF of Sacajawea goes at AI2. wait until it consolidates. take skis, the skiing there is off the hook!

Jake - Just call Steve at the brewery in Enterprise. He used to post on here at Terminal_gravity. very nice guy. There is a good route on Chief Joe's NF, a couloir that looks fun. a long day trip. The NF of Sacajawea goes at AI2. wait until it consolidates. take skis, the skiing there is off the hook!

I have talked to Steve, he is a very nice guy and has pointed me towards those two routes. I don't know that he posts here anymore. I was hoping for some sort of low-angle walk up or maybe a ridge climb or scramble that wouldn't be exposed to much avy danger. That might be a bit much to ask, but who knows?

When I started this thread the conditions were looking pretty bad, probably too warm for ice.

I just bought a set of AT skis to get to the ice. I'm still of the belief that coming down a mountain faster than I can rap or down climb is considered falling, and falling is scary and in poor style. Some day I'll pony up and learn to really ski. Some day, when there is no more ice to be climbed or no more cheap beer to be swilled. Yes, some day.

I pulled the NW ridge of Sac in April about 10 years ago. I had just returned from a month of ice climbing in Alaska, and was pretty honed. The weather was great on the ski in from Hurricane, but it turned into a hurricane (no pun intended) on summit day. What a ride that was! Still remember that trip as the most fun I've had in the Wallowas, bar none.

After a bit of searching the archives, I found it!

Edited by sobo

Wallowas in winter is the best climbing Oregon has to offer in my opinion.

If you are looking for a non technical adventure you might want to check out this trip I did last year. The High Wallowa peaks are absolutely beautiful in winter.

I have also always entertained the Idea of following the whole hurricane creek divide in winter...maybe this year.

Clam - good on ya. I grew up over there and one winter long ago we decided to ski across the range. We went from Moss Springs above Cove out to Wallowa Lake. Some where I have some great photos from the Minan - Mirror Lake pass with the hills all laid out. A great sight.

There is some good ice up Hurricane Creek and other hidden unclimbed gems :D.

How long did the traverse take?

rbw1966, I am assuming you are talking about my ski traverse. We planed for four days but did it in three. Spent the first night down along the Minan River, the second by Minan Lake and then blasted over to Mirror Lake and out through the Lakes Basin in day. The last day was a long day but the skiing was so good we just could not stop.